Ovarian Cancer Community
rising ca125 with clear PET scan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

rising ca125 with clear PET scan

Hi, i thought I just posted this question but I cant seem to find it.  I was diagnosed with stage 4 clear cell carcinoma with a ca125 level of 3900.  after chemo i was in complete remission, my ca 125 levels have recently gone approx 7, 14, 26 52, 130.  I have had a ct scan and Pet scan and both are completely clear, have you ever seen a rising ca125 like this with the patient still being in remission?
I had a rising CA125 with clear PET/CT and CT scans of my abdomen, pelvis, chest, and brain with no evidence of disease a month after finishing chemo.  My onc said I was recurring, but he didn't want to start chemo again until scans or an exam showed something or I had symptoms.  I was feeling good at the time, so I agreed.  In a very short period of time I went from that to my gyn/onc feeling nodularity on a physical exam, lots of symptoms and when I ended up in the hospital, a CT scan showing lots of disease.  I started chemo immediately.  There are people on here who have elevated CA125s but they feel fine, and I think that is the key.  I believe studies show that restarting chemo early does not prolong your survival time, and I would prefer to not be treated as long as I am feeling good so I can enjoy that feeling for as long as possible.  I assume you're under the care of a doctor, so what does your he/she say?  Good luck to you.  Paula
Hi Paula,

Thanks for that.  I feel fine pysically, its just the worry emotionally.  I can not believe that it has come back and I thought a PET scan was really reilable.  I live in NZ and find the oncologists to be very negative, during my chemo they told me that I could not get into remission and I did.
Yes, the worry is hard.  My onc called it watchful waiting but I called it watchful worrying.  I had just gotten to the point where I was doing pretty good at enjoying the day I was in and not ruining it by worrying about tomorrow.  But then I found out that's not too hard to do when you're not in pain, but pain changes everything.  I hope you can feel well before the beast raises its ugly head.  And, it may not.  As I said, I know at least one person here lives with a high CA125 and enjoys her life.  My CA125 only made it into normal range at my sixth treatment and I only had one more normal after that.  It went 12.8, 13, 50, 64, 164 within about two months. The jump from 50 to 64 happened in just 5 days.  Who knows how high it is now.  Paula
My ca125 started rising about 6 months out from my first chemo. I had a clear petct in Aug. 07. I had a bowel obstructed by an adhesion in Oct. The gyn/onc did not see any visible cancer, but the pathology slides did show microscopic cells. I started back on chemo in Nov., ca125 went from 265 to 33.    Donna
My problem is the opposite,,,,CA125 well below 15 but CT scan shows a mass and my doctor wants me to start up the chemo right away.