Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
risk for CA125 >35?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

risk for CA125 >35?

Hi, recently had health screening, got CA125 38 and suspected cyst in the ultrasound result.
Refer to a gyna doctor to follow up which rescan the ultrasound after period clear. This time no cyst found in the ultrasound result, however the second blood test still showing CA125 43 which is higher than normal range.
What could be the risk of this case? Gyna suggested to follow up retest after 3 months. I am terribly worrying, I am not even 30!
Hi There
CA 125 is not a diagnostic test.
The value will fluctuate with the menstrual cycle.
in premenopausal women ranges of 30 -60 are common and can be due to fibroids, endometriosis, having your period, and many other reasons.

as a screening test for cancer, what we look at is the rate of change over the baseline.
we worry about doubling values over time
so 38 to 76 to152 and so on would be of concern

best wishes
Thanks Dr! However, I have some worries when my doctor asked me to rescan and if CA-125 still same high (~40), possibly need to scope which involves surgery to put in the camera to observe if this is suspected endometriosis.

What is your view on this? What would be your suggestions for follow up? Chance for endometriosis? What is the impact and possible treatment?

Thanks a lot! I need luck!