Ovarian Cancer Community
septation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

septation

I had an ultrasound done.  A large syst was present in the left ovary.  It measures 3.1 x 2.8 cm, and a small cyst in the right overy.  Tranvaginally, the uterus measures 6.6 x 3.1 x 3.7 cm.  Endometrial stripe measures 4 mm in thickness.  Uterus is normal in appearance.  Right ovary measures 2.5 x 1.8 x 3.0 cm and the left ovary measures 4.3 x 2.8 x 4.0 cm. Large syst in the left ovary measures 2.8 x 2.2 x 3.2 cm.  Septation appears to be present.  Small cyst in the right ovary measures 0.8 x 0.9 x 1.2 cm.  Small follicular systs are in the right ovary.  Vascular flow is identified in both ovaries.  What does septation appears to be present mean in layman terms.  
It means that the cyst has thin partitions or membranes within it, dividing it into two or three cavities or soft masses of tissue.

The cyst on the left ovary really isn't big, but the septation makes it a little more suspicious for being more than just a simple cyst.
It doesn't necessarily mean it is malignant either. Make sure you ask your doctor about it and what he or she plans to do for follow-up.

They may want to do a CT scan or just another US to see if the cyst changes. This is quite common.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I had a septated cyst removed in May of '04 about the size of yours.  The doctor didn't waste much time in scheduling.  As Casey said, they don't know what's in the septation unless it just dissolves or needs to be removed.  Mine was benign and I had another child after that.  But I am still getting these very painful cysts.

Best to you.