Ovarian Cancer Community
severe pelvic pain and abdominal bloating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Since Sept 2007 may periods have become very painful.  Each month, on the fourth or fifth day of my period I experience severe pelvic pain and abdominal bloating.  The pressure in my back and rectum are unbearable. The day after these episodes entire abdominal area is sore to touch, painful to walk, bend over, climb into bed, etc.  I also experience nausea to the point of vomiting . I went to GYN and saw NP who thought my symptoms were "strange"
but probably due to my history of Fibroids. She ordered  ultrasound which didn't find anything "new". Suggested I could have complete Hysterectomy since " I don't need any of IT anymore." This is my only option? I can't believe I have to live with this pain every month.  I forgot to mention that I have been experiencing cramping this entire month with the pain waking me in the middle of the night.  I am 45 yrs. old, consider myself to be in good health,was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 40 with no problems during treatment, exercise regularly and in good shape.  Please help, I'm so frustrated, is this all premenapausal symptoms?
Hello. I had the pain and pressures you are experiencing.  I would suggest you see a gyn , not a NP, and request ultrasounds....something is going on.  When I was examined by my gyn he told me all was normal.....said he could feel my ovaries etc and that all was good.  The ultrasound made a liar of him.....others here have said their ultrasounds looked normal but the opposite was found during surgery.  With your set of symptoms I think you need to be very proactive with your health care.....don't give up...personally I would think you should see a gyn/oncologist as this is their arena of expertise.  Hang in there, keep us posted and do not give up!  
Peace.
dian
In the hospital, my mom had a roommate with symptoms suchs you describe. We saw her writhing in front of us...After having been hospitalized on and off for treatment of possible renal problems due to a recurrent URI, for over 4 years, they finally found out it was...chronic appenticitis after all.It was diagnosed with an examination of the interior of the colon, forgot what it was called. And surgery finally stopped her pain.

Since my mom had ovarian cancer, I have watched my own problems in that area from her perspective, i.e. what if it's the same thing getting started...from time to time I get symptoms such as you describe. Supposedly nothing can be seen on ultra sounds (the one from inside), but my ovary on that side is enlarged and I get periods of such pain at the onset of my period, it cannot be "nothing". However, the pain goes away and doesn't occur again when i change my diet back to healthy,non fatty, nonsugar, nondairy.(This is what my mom is supposed to eat, so I picked it up, but I slack extensively when under stress)  I have also been told that since women bleed due to reactions of alternating ovaries, these pains my vary. If you always have it it doesn't make sense that the ovary is the cause, because it isn't always the same ovary that starts your period each month. Try the diet, it did stop my menstruation cramps and funky colon reactions as a welcome side effect. I also make sure I have plenty of B-complex and Fish right before my period starts.

It could also be endometriosis, which means that tissue from your uterus is growing atttached to the colon (or elsewhere)

hope you will get better or find out what's causing the problem!