Ovarian Cancer Community
sharp pain lower right side; fibroids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

sharp pain lower right side; fibroids

Greetings, and thank you for taking the time to help.

Two weeks ago, I awakened in the middle of the night with a sharp stabbing pain on the right side of my lower abdomen.  After trying to medicate myself with OTC's, I finally went to the ER presenting with severe abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea (no fever).  The docs suspected appendicitis, but a CAT scan revealed fibroids/cysts instead.  My blood and urinalysis came back clean.  My understanding is, that fibroids do not usually cause pain, but I have significant pain that has become debilitating.  The pain is now radiating to my hip, lower back and groin.  I made an appt. with the OB, but I have to wait for 2 weeks.  In the meantime, I've been given a plethora of pain killers, to keep me comfortable while I wait.

Everything I read on the Internet points to ovarian torsion, or ovarian cancer.  I am concerned that my OB will ignore my complaints (I've complained of constant period symptoms, even when I'm not having my period); the doc. seemed unimpressed.  Now, I have these current symptoms, and I'm afraid I may be ignored, once again.  I need a direction.  I need to know how to present my case, so that someone will listen.  My quality of life has now been seriously compromised due to this sudden pain (on a Likert scale of 1-10, I'm at an 8 w/o meds.)

Please help.
Sarah
PS:  Can anyone give me a ballpark idea as to what this might be???
The cysts can also cause that kind of pain, no matter the size of the cyst. I had the same types of pain, just less pain, in the same areas, and all caused by a 3.5cm cyst. Debilitating at times, but still able to get through things.
Make sure you ask for a trans-vaginal ultrasound. That will show clearly the cysts. Also, request your CT scan from the ER to be sent to your gyn so they can compare and see if the cyst or fibriods are growing(and make sure you see a gyn, not a general practitioner... you need the reproductive doc). The abnormal periods and symptoms can be caused by the fibriods, and the pain by the cyst.
Try and get into a gyn quickly, because the faster they know what's going on, the faster they can get you feeling better.
Hot pads, the rice sock, OTC's, and hot tea were all things that helped my pain... hopefully they'll help yours, too.
(For the rice sock, fill a tube sock about 3/4 full with non-minute rice, tie or sew it shut, and microwave for about two minutes... lasts a fairly long time and is more portable).
Hang in there, and keep us posted!
~Marianne
Hi there and welcome.  I am so sorry that you are going through such pain.  Although 99% of ovarian cysts, tumors, and masses are benign, you are wise to seek medical attention.  If possible try to get a 2nd opinion with a gyn/onc.  They are specialists and have seen it all.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Just wanted to say thank you for the advice and support.  

I've also noticed that the pain in my abdomen is sharper than before, but more intermittent (as opposed to contstant)...of course, that may be due to the specturm of prescription narcotics I now have on hand.

At any rate, I have to wait until Aug. 22 before I can see the OB.  *sigh* That's with my complaint of pain.  It's the first space they had.

Thanks again.
Sarah
I also have been having intemitant right sided lower abdomen pain.  Level with my belly button or a little below.  I had missed my menstral cycle for a month and had this pain that lasted about 15 min.  Two days later I started my period.  I never got over my PMS symptoms and than last Sunday and Monday  I got the sharp stabbing pain that lasted 20 seconds each.  I than started my menstral cycle on Tuesday.  My ex who is a ultrasonographer found a fibroid that was the size of a golf ball blocking my vaginal passage.  He said that this was causing the pain.  My OB will not listen to me and they insist my pain is too high to be OB related.  I had a ultrasound done at the hospital again and the tech said she could not see anything.  I am really frustrated because I can not handle this intense pain any longer.