Ovarian Cancer Community
should I go to ER

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

should I go to ER

I finally spoke to GYN today.  He said that he is not convinced that this is an ovarian mass, but wants to rule out that it is intestinal in nature because of my Crohn's disease and because they could not see any ovarian tissue at the site of the cyst.  He said if he knew that it was ovarian for a fact he would take me to surgery now.  But that if he took me to surgery now and it ended up being intestinal, that he would not be the best person to do the surgery.  So, he wants to do the CA-125 and also do an MRI.  Sounds reasonable to me.  

Except... that this is the VA.  He can put in the request for the MRI and they will schedule it whenever they schedule it.  Probably in the 3 - 4 week range.  And if it is intestinal, they will then put in a consult for me to see a GI guy, which means several more weeks wait.  Which doesn't stress me so much about waiting, but it does stress me about the pain that I am in (I cannot take NSAIDS because of Crohns, tylenol doesn't even touch the pain, and who has time for narcotics?) and the fact that my abdomen is so much bigger that none of my pants fit (ones that fit 4 weeks ago are all sliding off of my hips).  So, the GYN said that the only thing he could suggest to get the MRI done sooner is to go to the ER, because the ER is capable of ordering a same day MRI.  But I feel bad about going to the ER when I'm not having a heart attack or anything.  Plus, I feel that going to the ER means I am a wimp and not capable of dealing with pain.

So, what do you all think?  Should I go to the ER or not?

Cathy
Boy, talk about a rock and a hard place.  The only thing is that if you go the ER you could be there for hours since it is not a life threatening situation.  But, if this is the only way that you will get the tests you need, then perhaps that is the way to go.  I wish you luck.
~Tascha
Well, if you think about it, what have you got to lose by trying the ER? But tell them you have severe pain. Maybe go really early in the morning? If you can't see any other recourse, try it.  I would do it. I don't like the sounds of your expanding waistline personally. Stand your ground!
Good luck, Katie
I'm with Moosie. Repeat after me - "I AM NOT A WIMP".
I've seen people in E.R. with little tiny cuts. You are someone who is in a lot of pain - that is absolutely a reason to go. Just be honest with the E.R. about what is happening and the tests you've had so far. And then you can tell them that the pain is just too much to keep handling.
My dad deals with the VA all of the time, and I know how slow they can be. Don't be afraid to stand up and get some help for your body. If you don't stand up for it, who will? You're in pain and you have been previously diagnosed with Crohn's disease, and now you have extra complications. That is a very legitimate reason to go and you certainly don't need to feel bad about it. It sounds like your doctor feels the same way, or he wouldn't have made the suggestion for you to go.
Even after the MRI is done, there will probably still be some waiting to do. I think this whole waiting thing is totally barbaric anyway. I'm coming to the end of my six week wait and can tell you that if there was anything I could possibly have done to speed up this process, I would have!
The choice is absolutely yours, but hope that you won't let unnecessary guilt block you from getting the help you need.
You deserve the very best care as quickly as possible. You sound very brave, but please don't suffer needlessly.
Robin
I know this will sound sneaky and underhanded, but once you've had  real crisis with something, you can use that to your advantage.  You have Chron's.  You go to the ER, you tell them you have Chron's and you feel like you may have a "hot" abdomen right now.  You will get the attention you need, and fairly quickly.  No one will mess with making you sit around if they think you might have an abdomen going septic.

And for cryin' out loud, YOU HAVE CHRON'S, YOU ARE NOT A WIMP.  I know the pain from that is comparable to diverticulitis and I know what THAT feels like.  If you are that concerned, you cannot worry about someone thinking you are a wimp and giving up.  You've been dealing with a chronic illness for awhile, no way you are a wimp.  Love, hugs and God bless, Barb
Come on, Cathy!
This is a a "NO BRAINER" if the ER will get you tested earlier and better treatment what is the question?
JUST GO!
You have nothing to prove to anyone.....besides, I'd rather have some judgemental fool think I am a wimp rather than stupid!
Listen to these other women....go to the ER.
Peace.
dian
Go to the ER. I have UC and also can't take anti inflamatories. I started having pain and bloating and for me last year i was hospitalized 5 x w/ severe gastritis. This time it turned out to be two large endo cysts. You can never be to safe. If it is a cyst and can wait then u can leave the ER being reasured. However, if it is a intestinal blockage or something of that nature, you are in immediate danger. GO TO THE ER!!! I live in a very populated city and sat on a gerny for 3 days inside the ER hallways waiting for a room to open up. Next time i will go to a small private owned hospital 20min away. Do you have other places u can go? If not, call ahead to the ER and ask the triage nurse how many peps are there. The best time at my ER is around 4am, so get a good night sleep and set the alarm! Good luck!
After being missed diagnosed twice the ER was where they finally took the time and test to discover that I had OC, I would not hesitate to go there.
My suggestion is if you can avoid the VA by all means do so!  I have been dealing with the VA since I was medically retired from the Navy.  In 2000, I had surgery to remove what they thought was a benign cyst on my right ovary.  Turned out to be borderline low malignancy.  One year later I had my left ovary removed for a cyst.  Three years later I am having pain and bleeding and have been told it is due to scar tissue and I will just have to live with it.

I found a new doctor who is doing a biopsy for precancerous cells.  

Please make sure you see a gyno/onc for any female surgeries.  I wish I had.
Hi,  If you feel like you have uncontrolled pain ..go to the ER.  But, in general my experience has been it was a waste of time.   If you feel like your doctor is going to slow..then ask for a second opinion.   It is better to complain and get properly treated then not to and fall through the system.  

Best of luck

Anna