Ovarian Cancer Community
simple cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

simple cyst

I was told by my medical doctor that I have a simple cyst on left ovary.  He said that wouldn't cause infertility.  I have an appontment with GYN soon to ask questions.  Is it true what my doctor said?  He said it will never turn to cancer either.  Is that true?
Hi Klove and Welcome!
     I am guessing you regular doctor detected the cyst via internal manual exam. Although your Dr. was just trying to be reassuring, he/she knows that ovarian cysts should not be ignored, that's why you were referred to the GYN.  If the GYN also detects the cyst, he/she will, most likly, have you return in a month or two to be checked again.  A simple cyst will often resolve itself causing no further problems including infertility issues.  A simple cyst is the result of normal ovulation.  We have tons of follicules (kind of like pores) on our ovaries that are there to emit the egg once a month.  Only one of the follicules actually gets the job while the others go back to preovulation size and state.  Occasionally, one of the loser follicules will seal up and fill with fluid looking like a tiny round ballon.  These simple (also called functional cysts) can persist for several cycles increasing in size.  They usually reabsorb into the surrounding tissue but some can rupture spilling the fluid into the abdomen and causing pain for several days.  Most cysts are catagorized as simple in the beginning.  If they persist and change shape, picture a ballon with rubber bands around it, they are recatagorized as Complex.  Does not necessarily mean malignant, most are benign.  However, if they exceed 5cm (2inches or so)surgical removal is the usual recommendation.  The maddening part is that there is no way to rule out cancer until surgery, thus the awful watch and wait you read about here on the site.  99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  At this juncture, your Doctor's opinion that yours is a simple cysts is great news.  It is possible that by the time you see the GYN, the cyst will be gone.  Well that's "Cyst 101" Klove, hope that helps!  MV
Thank you so much.  It really did help me.
yep. it helped me too.Thanks