Ovarian Cancer Community
size & stage of ovarian tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

size & stage of ovarian tumor

Hi ladies,

I was wondering what was the size and stage of your tumors when diagnosed?  

Thanks and God bless!  
The size really does matter as much as the stageing.  and the spread which are the A, B C component.  This is from Wikipedia.  
IA - involves one ovary; capsule intact; no tumor on ovarian surface; no malignant cells in ascites or peritoneal washings
IB - involves both ovaries; capsule intact; no tumor on ovarian surface; negative washings
IC - tumor limited to ovaries with any of the following: capsule ruptured, tumor on ovarian surface, positive washings
Stage II - pelvic extension or implants
IIA - extension or implants onto uterus or fallopian tube; negative washings
IIB - extension or implants onto other pelvic structures; negative washings
IIC - pelvic extension or implants with positive peritoneal washings
Stage III - microscopic peritoneal implants outside of the pelvis; or limited to the pelvis with extension to the small bowel or omentum
IIIA - microscopic peritoneal metastases beyond pelvis
IIIB - macroscopic peritoneal metastases beyond pelvis less than 2 cm in size
IIIC - peritoneal metastases beyond pelvis > 2 cm or lymph node metastases
Stage IV - distant metastases--in the liver, or outside the peritoneal cavity
Para-aortic lymph node metastases are considered regional lymph nodes (Stage IIIC).

I was Stage 3C, I have no idea how big my tumor was.  
I was stagaed at  IC....my tumor ruptured spilling malignant cells into the peritonial cavity.......it was the size of a grapefruit, I was told.
Peace.
dian
It is a good question, but, there is no known connection to the size of the tumor and stage of cancer...mine was 22 cms and stage 1A.  
NYC lady is correct there is no connection to size.  I had several large tumors the largest I believe was 18cm and I have stage IV.
I don't remember tumor sizes.  I was staged during interval debulking surgery at stage IV, grade 3 with malignicies found in all organs removed during a TAH/BSO and Omentectomy, washings and an adhesion on diaphram. Spread to lymph nodes in my neck sealed the stage IV but the primary site of ovary or tube is still under debate. At least I'm still debating it but only get a "treatment is the same response" from onc and gyn/onc.  My response is it may not matter now but it could matter down the line especially for my daughter, sister, and nieces if any developments arise in new treatment or genetic markers for fallopian tube cancers specifically.  .
Here is one article about a study on size vs. stage:
http://meeting.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/abstract/25/18_suppl/5580

"The average measurement was 4.8 cm in advanced disease, and was 10.7 cm in early stage disease. This difference was statistically significant (p < 0.001). Conclusions: Overall, patients with early stage ovarian cancer have diseased ovaries that are more than twice as large as those found in advanced disease. This finding supports the fact that early versus advanced ovarian cancer are 2 separate disease processes."

"The mechanism of disease progression is unknown, but patients with advanced disease may have a higher propensity for seeding of the abdominal cavity early in the disease process than those with early stage."

Of coarse this is only one study and not true for all cases.
I was just diagnosed last week with Stage 11c with a tumor about 12cm.  I had the first tumer/ovary removed last April - which was benign.  When I found this tumor last summer the surgeon and I felt it would be benign too so I waited a little bit to go through surgery again.  Probably shouldn't have.  I would love to hear positive outcomes....
My fiance was 1a with a 42 cm tumor. (Yes, that's big. It was very visible and she would have gone sooner if it wasn't for the embarrassment of her doctor calling her fat when she had gone in the previous year when it was visible, but wasn't quite as drastically clear that something was wrong).