Ovarian Cancer Community
stage 1 to stage 4 immature teratoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

stage 1 to stage 4 immature teratoma

Thank you to everyone who shares their experience.  I am 36, live in UK and have 2 young children.  I am currently under treatment for stage 4 ovarian immature teratoma.  When I had the 2nd child, they found a 12cm cyst in my right ovary on ultrasound.  I had planned c section to deliver my baby and resection of right fallopian tube and ovary in July 2011.  The lab found the ovary to be intact and they did not find cancer cells in the lymph node or blood vessels within the ovary (at least those they examined). It was staged as Stage 1a immature teratoma.  I did not have chemo and had a CT scan and quarterly blood test.  My AFP was normal until July 2012, when I collapsed and they found a tumour exerting pressure on my brain. The cancer spread to forearm, lung and brain.  I had no symptom, no pain all these time, except a lump in my forearm which my family doctor thought was a fatty lump.  After the relapse, I had 4 cycles of EP-POMB (Etoposide, cisplatin, vincristine, bleomycin, methotrexate) and 3 dose of intrathecal methotrexate.  Then I had a brain surgery, forearm surgery, lung surgery and will have a laparoscopy/laparotomy to examine a mass at where my right ovary used to be.   My AFP shot up just after I collapsed, returned to normal after chemo, but the lab found residual cancer cells in the lesions they took out from my lung and arm.  Any comment on my medical condition is welcomed.

Based on my experience, I would advise caution.  The chemo was not pleasant at the time, but afterwards one recovers from it gradually (unless there is complication).  I also recommend any cancer patient and survivor to lead a healthy lifestyle to fight cancer and prevent it from coming back.  Best wishes to all those who are suffering it and their families.  
1 Comment
Sorry, I want to add a question to my post.  A doctor who did my ultrasound said the mass seemed to be stuck to the uterus.  Would it be recommended to have hysterectomy if that is the case?  The grade of my immature teratoma is 2.  I guess it would depends on what the surgeon see during the upcoming operation.