Ovarian Cancer Community
stage 3c ovarian cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

stage 3c ovarian cancer

My mom was diagnoised with stage 3c ovarian cancer recently she's 77years old doctor said she can't perform surgery because her records said she has chf. She wants to start chemo first with high dose chemo 1x a every 3 weeks. What is the chances on her surviving this disease with what the doctor saying at this time. Please advise.

This discussion is related to cure for ovarian stage 3c cancer.
If I am understanding you correctly, your mom has congestive heart failure.  If that is the case, anesthesia could be a problem.  The chemo one time every three weeks is the standard for most of us......my guess is that your mom will probably do well with her doctor's recommendations.  Hopefully the tumors will shrink dramatically and your mom will be able to keep them down by surgery or additional chemo with fewer side effects.
You need to be there for your mom but you absolutely must take good care of yourself....she doesn't need to be worrying about you as well as dealing with the side effects of chemo.  Those can be tough at times.  Make certain she has meds for nausea prior to chemo.....stay ahead of any pain......if she is getting Neulasta after chemo to keep her blood numbers up she will probably need something for pain in her bones.....she might need something for sleep.  So many women here have suggestions for your mom you need to continue returning to us here......please give your mom our best and know we will help in any way possible.
Peace.
dian
My mom is 83 and was also diagnosed with Stage IIIC back in September.  She has now had 6 chemo treatments (one every three weeks) and has done quite well with it.  She decided against surgery, and I am quite relieved that she made that decision.  She already has some dementia (and chemo brain on top of that) and I think being under general anesthesia for 4 or more hours would have destroyed what's left of her brain.  She has done amazingly well with the chemo and the scans after her third treatment showed a good amount of tumor shrinkage and her CA 125 continues to get lower.  She is to have another scan in two weeks to decide if she should have 2 more chemo treatments or stop for awhile.  The doctor said he would want to check her every 3 months and then we will just wait and see.  I wish your mom all the best.
Hi i thank you so much for your responds it is greatly appreicated, my mom is my world i have a close relationship with her she has been my ear to hear when their was no one. She has been my comforter when i had no one, she has done so many great things for me, im just devasted about this news. I just trying to stay strong and be their for her and do whatever i can for her by whatever means necessary. your story sounds simiarliar to my moms situation. They said her tumor is to big to do surgery, and the CHF they doing chemo first, But this whole thing is just got me going i just can't believe it. But i know it's true. Again i thank you so much for your responds i will keep you and your mom in my prayers. Mothers i say are true angels sent from heaven by God. keep in touch. God Bless you.
Hi thank you for your responds yeah you understood me right they say she had CHF they can't do any surgery. But you has gave me hope with your story that's what the doctors are saying, the chemo will shrink the tumor down, than they will probably discuss surgery pending on the results of her echocardigram she has to have done. Keep her in your thoughts and i will keep in touch with you. I thank you so much for the information you shared with me. May god bless you and keep you in his care.
Hi there just wanted to give you a quick update my mom starts her first treatment of chemo on tomorrow. Im a little nervous about it i hope and pray all goes well for her with it, she decide she wanted to take but she said if it makes her sick she ain't gona take no more. But i had told her what you told me about your mom being 83 years old and took chemo, and she's was ok with it. They said she had to drink plenty of fluids with it that's a concerned for me because she really ain't eating the way she should because of this stuff. It's just a terrible thing i think. My sister passed away with breast cancer in the year 2005 she was 34 years old when she got the diagnois left 3 young kids behind. I heard ovarian cancer and breast cancer goes together. I think that's alot of to what wrong with me. But keep my mom in your prayers i really appreicate all you have told me thus far. Best wishes to your mom.I hope all stays well with her.

God Bless,