Ovarian Cancer Community
swollen abdomen after laparotomy for giant cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

2 weeks ago I had a laparotomy to remove a fairly large ovarian cyst (20cm).  The doctor had to take my right ovary and that side of the fallopian tube.  I am glad to have it out and very grateful that it turned out to be benign. The lower part of my abdomen is still very swollen and just pooches out.  I was wondering if someone knew if this was normal at this point in recovery.  For the most part I feel fine but I wonder if my body has just changed due to the extensive cutting of muscles or if this is something that will continue to go down.  Is there something I should be doing as well?  Also, I know that the other ovary kicks in but has anyone experienced any hormonal changes by having only one ovary? Thank you for any insight.
I had a laparotomy Feb 5th (TAH/BSO) for a 12 cm complx cyst that turned out to be Stage 1A. Luckily no chemo or anything was necessary, and I feel very lucky. My recovery went smoothly. I also had a rather swollen belly,the infamous "SwellyBelly," that prevented me from getting my jeans on for about 4-5 weeks.  The swelling will decrease, it just takes awhile.  And to my amazement, I'm sitting here 3 months after having both ovaries removed, and I've not had any menopausal symptoms- no hot flashes, night sweats, mood issues, etc. I don't know whether I'm going to be lucky enough to avoid all that, or if it's just taking longer for my body to "realize" it's in menopause :-)  I've read some posts here from women who started having bad menopause symptoms right after surgery, and others who said it was no big deal. Guess everyone is different and it's hard to predict.

Hope you continue to recover; just take it easy and don't push yourself.  
thanks so much for your post.  I'm glad they caught it early and that you are not having any bad symptoms.
I am 4 weeks from my surgery and still have a lot of swelling.  Can't wear my "normal" clothes.  I have wound separation so I think that is contributing to the swelling.  My Dr says swelling is normal for several weeks post op and I could use heat to help with that and soreness.
Good luck in your recovery.  
As for surgical enduced menopause, my hot flashes started before I left the hospital and I am 38 yrs old. Started HRT 1 week ago today.
I have the same questions about the hormones.  I had one ovary removed yesterday and already had some mild hot flashes last night.  My GYN/Onc had told me that the pituitary gland (brain) that signals the ovaries to produce estrogen thinks there's only one ovary, so the other should compensate.  I don't know how quickly that starts in and would be interested if others know.  Best of luck and congrats you caught it all early!
I had a laparotomy to romove a dermoid cyst and right ovary one the 30th and I am still in a lot of pain and swole.  I alos can't feel the skin over my incision and I have been extra moody and crying a lot.  I have the staple stiches that are supose to desolve on their own, but I still feel them.  It has also been hurting when I go to the bathroom, 1or2.
Hi there cristina -

I has a 10.5cm dermoid removed via laparotomy in November, and I experienced similar side effects. My belly was definitely "pooched out" (I think this is just because your abdominal muscles have been injured and thus are slacker than normal.) Also, I didn't gain total feeling back in the area over the incision for 6 months. The numbness gradually improved and got smaller over time, but it does take a long time to heal. My doctor says that's totally normal.

The good news is that long before you get total feeling back, you'll be back to normal. I started going to the gym again after 6 weeks, and now I'm back tot he abdominal strength I had pre-surgery. Your body is a healing machine and I think you'll be surprised! Good luck and swift recovery.

Hi there.

I am 23 and 6 weeks ago I had a dermoid ovarian cyst removed via laparotomy. Since the operation I have a bulge band with hard lumps inside, at the top of my pubic line (the actual inscision is a good 4cm below the bulge) I find it strange that the area around the inscision is fine and flat, but I have this bulge at the top which goes up and down with swelling. Last week it was almost gone, but this week it swelled up and got very tender. I am naturally very lean but now when I am in my underwear or swimwear, I have this bulge quite low down. It looks strange as it's not naturally where I would carry weight. I haven't been told whether this is normal or what I could be doing doing to help or what I shouldn't be doing. It would be great to know that in time this will go down. I would love to get back into pilates soon as well, but once again I'm not sure if I should be doing that yet. And this swollen bulge makes me think I shouldn't be.

If anyone out there can give me any advice, it would be much appreciated!
I had a TAH 2.5 weeks ago today.  I had major bleeding afterwards in the recovery room (an ARTERIAL BLEED - YIKES - that I saw!!!) and had to be rushed back into surgery.  However, aside from all that I feel great.  No real pain (rolling over in bed is still a bit tender).  I have had to keep myself from doing too much.  I did try and wear some wedge heeled boots tonight - NOT a good idea.  I was really concerned about the swelly belly I have, but after reading, it sounds like you all do too - ugh.  I'm REALLY ready for that to go away.  I hope everyone has a speedy (and pain free!) recovery!  Good luck.
I am so glad to hear all of you had the same "swell belly."  I work out very frequently and was very upset to see that I look like I am three months pregnant.  I also spent the day crying for some reason at every show that I saw.  I even cried at a "Soup" commerical with Joel McHale.  I am so glad to hear my syptoms (symptoms) are some what normal.  I did not have the  laproscoptic though so not all symptoms are the same but the ones we share give me lots of hope.  
God Bless to all and Quick Recovery
(Oh geez there I got cryihng again!)
My daughter had an emergency surgery for a hemoragic cyst that ruptured 3 wks ago.  She still has a slight "swelly belly" which at 20 yrs old shes upset with but she is still having severe pains on her right side, so severe it hurts to walk.  She had a bikini line incision, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.  Does any one have any insight for a worried mother?
About 2 weeks ago I went to the emergency room with severe pain in my lower right side.  I thought it was appendicitis but a CT scan showed a dermoid cyst (teratoma tumor 7cm X 5cm X 7.4cm) growing on the lower right side of my abdomen.  The tumor was removed last Thrusday along with my right ovary and fallopian tube.  Today is my 5th day post op and I feel pretty good.  I'm a healthy 25 year old woman and I also have the Swollen Belly!!  IT's sooo depressing I just want to cry everytime I see it especially living in Florida where bathing suit season is year round.  How long does this normally take to subside?  I'm more grateful about the tumor not being cancerous than about habing an enlarged stomach but it really does affect me emotionally when I see how large my belly is.  I have been wearing a girdle (approved by the doc) int he mean time but how soon can I workout again???
In the future please create a new posting instead of adding to the bottom of an old one - that way people are more likely to pay attention.  Also, we now have the ovarian cyst forum and this kind of question is best answered there.

I am assuming it was laparoscopic surgery since you are feeling so well.  After surgery it can take approximately a month for the swelling to go down.  I would also wait 8 weeks to start exercising but do it very carefully.  
Hi ladies,

I am just a mere 24 hours post op and have just realized the fact that most of my pain and discomfort is coming from the newly discovered, aforementioned, "Swelly Belly". I had a  17cm, 10lb, mucinous cystadenoma (abnormal cyst) removed along with my right ovary and upon getting on my scale couldn't figure out why i weighed 5 more lbs than I did when I was admitted! Upon brushing my teeth, I felt my belly bump the sink (something that has never happened before), realized it was very numb, swollen and seemingly full of liquid(?). Glad to hear that this numbness and swelly belly is all part of the fun of a laparotomy!  When i press my hands on my incision, it dosen't hurt at all, it's mostly the tender swollen mass above. Good luck to everyone in their recovery!

Jessi
I am having the same symptoms as you and not sure if this is normal post-op. 5 weeks after a laparoscopy and lapartomy to remove a 5cm dermoid cysts from my right ovary, I still have a bulge band above the incision with hard lumps inside. The actual incision looks fine and flat, but above it is bulging, swollen, sore and hard. I am also naturally slim and it looks and feels peculiar on me. Is this normal as I was hoping this amount of time after surgery I would be back to normal.
A related discussion, Lump above incision  was started.
A related discussion, Had ex lap 30 days ago was started.