Ovarian Cancer Community
teratoma immature

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

teratoma immature

Dear all,

About 6 weeks ago, I had a tumor (and one of my ovaries) removed. Just recently, the lab results came back, indicating that the tumor is malignant - teratoma immature, an extremely rare ovarian cancer.

Based on this result, it has been deemed that further courses of action should be taken, in case there is relapse. I have sought the advice of a number of doctors, each with their own opinion on what should be done. There seems to be no consensus on the course of action, but with a number of options:
1- remove the other ovary, and possibly uterus; followed by possible chemotherapy
2- chemotherapy only

I am really confused as to who I should be listening to?? Are there not any tests that can be done that clearly indicate whether the cancer has relapsed or spread? Thank you.

nt
Nt

Are the doctors giving you options because of your age.   Maybe you wish to start a family.  Where is your cancer staged at?

Dawnlyn
Obviously depending on yr age is always a factor.  I think that if the tumor has not spread beyond your ovary than maybe a hysterectomy is not necessary but I think chemo is always best.  My mom was diag, with Stage 2A Ovarian Cancer, meaning it had only spread to the follopian tube.  The doctors felt that for precaution it was best to do chemo and I agreed.  Sometimes those damn cancer cells are so small that not even a microscope can see them but they are there.  The doctors mentioned to me that I should eventually consider having my ovaries removed but I feel that I am too young so I will take other steps.  
What stage have they diagnosed you at?
Have u started menopausing?  
I don't understand why they didn't speak to u about theses actions before yr surgery.  Surgery is very serious and just the thought of having another surgery is so weird.  I wish u all the best and let us know what u decide.

Mirella
As I understand it, immature teratoma is treated differently than the most common ovarian cancer type (epithelial cell carcinoma).

I agree that your age and stage should be weighed against treatment. Do you have the option of freezing eggs should you want to start a family (I'm assuming you're quite young, as this type of cancer usually affects teenagers and women in their 20's?).

There is a fairly regular poster here who goes by "bmcd". His teenage daughter had immature teratoma a year or so ago. Here is a link to his profile: http://www.medhelp.org/user_profiles/show/178783 (hope that works).

Please keep us posted.

Susy