Ovarian Cancer Community
tumor on ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

tumor on ovary

Hi. I had mri done two weeks ago diagnosed cyst on right ovary. They wanted to do a ultrasound results came back that i do not have a cyst i have a tumor. ovary is enlarged with a mass.Had hysterectomy done 11 years ago only have the right ovary left.Could it be a fibroid tumor if i dont have a uterus anymore? They want me to see ob gyn.What can i expect at appt? drs office said they cannot say its not cancer. Had ultrasound done 6 months ago and no mass was there.
Please be sure to get a gyn/oncologist involved.  They have more training and get better results, benign or malignant.  The only way to tell which is to have surgery and get the pathology back.  

Since you know there was no mass six months ago, the likelihood is that this is a small, self-contained mass, the best kind to have.  

Be sure the doctor has all the exam reports before you see him/her as that will help the appointment go more smoothly.  If requested, you could probably have a CA 125 blood test in advance;  this test is notoriously inaccurate before diagnosis and sometimes inaccurate afterwards as well, but it is the basic blood test doctors use.  

Keep in touch as prople on this forum have been in our situation -- and can sympathize and advise you as you go through this.  

Good luck and God bless ...
Thank you so much fo replying and giving me positive feedback and support. I'm going to call doctors office about blood work. I was so scared when they told me they cant say its not cancer. My whole world felt like it was crashing down. I never felt so alone and helpless at that moment. I have two boys and alot to look forward to. But like you said, the positive is it was not there 6 months ago. So now i'm thinking positive and making sure I ask as many questions as  I can with the doctor. My appt is next Wednesday. I will keep in touch and let you know how appt. went. Thanks again!
Hi.  I'm sorry about what you're going through, I'm gonig thru something similar.  I just wanted to tell you that I watch Dr. Oz all the time and he usually has experts on his show.  In one of the shows which was regarding silent symptoms of ovarian cancer, he had a doctor who said that there's a new blood test the OVA1(TM) Test which is specifically targeted on the ovaries and is supposed to be superior than the CA125.  I would ask your doctor about this test as well on  Wed.  Since my mass is not on the ovary, it doesn't apply to me.  My surgery is scheduled right now for Dec. 1st.  I'm hoping for benign results, my mass also was not there at the beginning of the year.  Good luck!
They say in premenopausal women a score greater than or equal to 5.0 indicates a high likelihood of malignancy. My score was 4.8
My Dr says this score is considered negative but is borderline and that I should be cautiously optimistic. The higher score could be a sign of another benign issue such as endometriosis. But we will not know for sure without the results from the biopsy.

This is some of what I read about the test.

OVA1 is a blood test that measures serum levels of five proteins (transthyretin, apolipoprotein
A1, beta-2-microglobulin, transferrin, and the CA-125 II cancer antigen) believed to be markers of ovarian cancer, and uses
a proprietary algorithm (OvaCalc) to combine results into a single score (ranging from 00.0 to 10.0) indicating low- or highrisk
malignancy. Cutoff values for low- and high-risk stratification are currently set at 5.0 for premenopausal women and at
4.4 for postmenopausal women. The test is designed for adjuvant use and is not intended to be interpreted independently
from findings of current care methods to assess risk of malignancy prior to surgery in women with a confirmed pelvic mass.