Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
undifferentiated and mixed mullerian

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

undifferentiated and mixed mullerian

I was wondering.... what is the difference between mixed mullerian ovarian and undifferentiated epithelial ovarian cancer?

When I was first told I had ovca based on fluid they drained I think, I was told it looked like undifferentiated epithelial. But now after the pathology report came back from my biopsy under ultrasound and the doctor is saying mixed mullerian. I am so confused about all this, especially since they wanted to do chemo first. They said it has spread to so many areas that they wanted to try to get some of it under control before surgery.

I had my first treatment before I received the report. Will this change the type of chemo I should be getting? I am receiving carbo/taxol.

Are there questions or treatments I should be asking about or does this seem like the right direction?

Kimberly
Hi there,

The standard chemotherapy for all these cancers is carboplatin and taxol. there are some situations where adriamycin is added. It is fine that you already received a dose pf chemotherapy.

The tissues of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus that can make maligancies can are look the same under the microscope.

the most common type of cancer is a gland forming cancer. the general term is adenocarcinoma. depending on how irregular  (undifferentiated) the cells look, the cancer is assigned a grade .
Grade one or well differentiated cancer is well organized and slow growing.
Grade 2 is moderately differentiated.
Grade 3 is fast growing and poorly differentiated or organized.
If a cancer looks like it is so disorganized in it's appearance that is is hard to determine where it came from, it is called undifferentiated.

MMMT or triple MT or malignant mixed mullerian tumor is a cancer that has both adenocarcinoma elements and sarcoma (muscle malignancy) elements.

As Case says MMMTs commonly come from the uterus but they can also come from the ovaries.
You should be sure that a gyn oncologist is involved in your care as they have the most experience with these kinds of tumors.
take care
The NCCN and ACS suggest that mixed mullerian be treated as though it were endometrial cancer:
http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/ovarian.pdf

Dr. Goodman will have to confim this and interpret the endometrial cancer treatment protocols (if this is indeed true). Seems like the chemo regiman is different.