Ovarian Cancer Community
very confused

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

very confused

hi ive 5 kids n just been diagnosed with fibroids and n enlarged ovary what does this mean?
1 Comment
I have fibroids as well  :-)

Fibroids are not related to cancer.  Fibroids are just a bit of tissue that grows bigger for some reason.  They don't know why - but they are totally normal!  Most women get them, and most of the time they don't cause any problems and often people never even know that they have them.  

While lots of folks don't have any problems, sometimes people do have problems.  If a fibroid gets too big, or if it's in a place where it interferes with other organs - it can cause all sorts of problems.  If your fibroids are causing problems for you then they might suggest that you have either the fibroids or your uterus removed.  It completely depends on your situation and if you are having problems or not.  

As for the ovary - did they say that was related to the fibroids?  I had a mass by my ovary, as well as fibroids by my uterus.  They thought the thing on my ovary might be a fibroid as well - but they couldn't be sure without going in and looking.  I had surgery and it was a benign mass (not cancer) but it wasn't a fibroid.  They removed it and I'm fine.  

The enlarged ovary could be for any number of reasons - certainly you should ask your doctor if there is any chance that you have ovarian cancer.  

Here is some more info on the fibroids:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uterine-fibroids/DS00078

If they are suggesting a hysterectomy, there is lots of good info here:
http://www.hystersisters.com/

Good luck!  It doesn't sound like your doctor is worried about cancer, but you should be sure to follow up.  If there is a chance that your ovary is enlarged because of cancer you want to talk to a gynecological oncologist right away and find out for sure.  

Melissa