Ovarian Cancer Community
waiting for pathology report

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

waiting for pathology report

I am so glad I found this forum. I went in for laproscopic surgery on 8/06 thinking I was getting a dermoid cyst removed.It ended up being malignant.The gyn. who performed it said it was a little different then the ovarian cyst he seen.  went to the oncology/gyn today and am still waiting the path. report, depending on that and the staging results I am a class 1c and very glad to hear but was wondering how long it usually takes to get the report back? I am getting my hysterectomy and staging done next week and willl know what chemo after that. he said if it changes stages he would use stomach chemo.  It was a very aggressive tumor, I had a ct scan done in April and it  was not there.Another one done 6/30 and was 3cm  and 6cm at removal. I was luck and had symptoms right away. how long after a hysterectomy do they usually start chemo? This site has given me so much hope and info, thank you all. I am ready to fight for what ever is in store for me. prayers to all of you.
I had my hysterectomy September 30th last year and started chemo on November 10th (also my 27th birthday - how memorable!). I know I was originally scheduled for November 2nd, but I would think if you have an aggressive tumor they would try to start you sooner - I was grade 1, so I'm sure there wasn't as much a rush. I also had some complications with my kidneys after surgery (soft tissue swelling caused my left ureter to collapse and I needed a stent put in) so maybe that was the reason for the delay, as I know this chemo is really hard on your kidneys. As for the full path report, it took almost 4 weeks, but mostly because they really didn't know fully what I had. I was originally diagnosed with borderline tumors, but after surgery was MPSC stage 3c. They knew in surgery once they saw everything that it was cancer, but not what type of Ov/Ca. Hope this helps - good luck with your upcoming surgery!
Becky
Hello and welcome.  In my personal situation, things moved very very fast for me, went to primary doc on a Wednesday, he had me in a Gyn/Onco office- top guy, on a Friday, and was scheduled for surgery the following Wednesday, had a complete hysterectomy, BSO, debulking, lymphs removed, the works.  My doctor pretty much knew where I was at during surgery.  They send away for first pathology while you are on the table, and go from there, and send down everything else for frozen sections, staging, full/final pathology.  That's where you need to be fully confident with your doctor, mine was absolutely amazing.  My final pathology report came in that Friday after surgery about an hour after I was discharged from the hospital (so less than 2 days) I was a stage 1A and my doctor from the beginning told me he wanted me to do a preventative chemo because mine was a clear cell.  My surgery was done on 3/29 and my chemo started on 5/22.  I wanted to get it started ASAP and get it over with.  And I probably would of started mine earlier, by a couple weeks, but the Oncologist I was referred to closer to my house, was even hesistant about doing the chemo, until he talked to the top Ovarian Cancer Doctor in John Hopkins and she said "do it".
I hope this helps you in some way, and you will be in my prayers.  Good luck.
When my daughter was diagnosed, she was told they had to wait at least six weeks after a hysterectomy before starting chemo so that the body could heal. Chemo is very hard on the body and they don't want to start it when you are so weak from surgery.