Ovarian Cancer Community
weight gain after ov.c surg. & chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

weight gain after ov.c surg. & chemo

I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer On May 29, 2007, they did complete hysterectomy and removed greater omentum.  It was stage 1 which was wonderful news.  I had 3 chemo treatments just for precautionary reasons.  I have put on over 20 lbs in very short period of time, and am not eating that much to have gained so much, so quick.  

I have especially gained a tire around my abdomen.  Has anyone else experienced this problem.  
could be the steroids that you were given a long with the chemo.  I was gaining an average of  8 pounds per chemo.
Hi ,
I can certainly identify with the weight gain problem , I gained more than 20lb during my 6 chemo treatments and my oncologist said the same as kimchi that the steroids were to blame . Try not to worry to much as chemo is enough to go through without worrying about weight gain that can be lost afterwards .
Best wishes Angiexx
Yep definitely gained weight on chemo (steroids that they give you with taxol did it I reckon)

Better fat than dead I reckon. :-)
Just another perspective here...after my radical hysterectomy (I did not need Chemo) I gained 25 pounds. I gained a little a few weeks after the surgery (in September of 00) and things were just okay in October, but then around the end of November it started and within the next two months I was up a total of 25 pounds. It stabalized and eventually I was able to get off about 15 pounds over the next 5 months. This happened to one of my girlfriends, too. She gained 25 pounds within the first three months after her radical hysterectomy. This is rather common in women who are thrown into a surgical menopause.

Please know that I am not disagreeing with the comments above, just letting you know what my experience was. I was very heavy growing up and carried a great deal of emotional baggage from the experience. I lost about 48 pounds in college and maintained the loss pretty well for about 20 years...battling it again through perimenopause, although it never got as bad as it was while I was growing up. So, when I was gaining uncontrollably, for me, yes, it was very upsetting.   I am the only non-diabetic in my family (sister hypoglycemic) and after taking such great care of myself for years, I still struggled with dysplasias and also the malignant cyst issue. I busted a few mysths regarding who will and who will not get these problems.

Certainly I was able to realize that things could have been so much worse for me since once they opened me up, there was no more cancer to be found and it was all contained in that little 2cm. cyst, but hormonally I was a mess...and depressed. I was also switching careers and just about to do an internship at a hospital (at age 47) and they were holding the spot for me.

OK...gosh, I am going on and on again. Anyway, I hope in some way this information helps.

Sincerely,

Mary
I also gained about 15 pounds due to the steroids. Don;t worry too much, when you are done with chemo and steroids the weight should come off. It also could be possible that you have a little fluid retention. Talk to your onc about the weight gain to make sure there is no fluid that needs to be drained. With love, Deandra
Leslee gained the weight also, about 25#s,  they told her it is the steroids also.  It goes on fast  but goes away slow.  You must maintain a good healthy diet and exercise.  No crash diets or diet pills  should be followed, as  it will rob the wrong  tissues.  They told her to concentrate on a healthy life style to maintain her strength and vitality.  Mayo told her if she can reach a remission then  the weight can be taken off safely.  Keeping the body hydrated at all times and elimation regulated.  Keeping the entire body in tune, bones, skin, heart, liver, kidneys , lungs  and brain is so important.  Muscle tone is also very important.  When the counts flucuate like they do while on chemo, the body does try to compensate  by taking nutrients from other systems.  The very lean person on chemo has a tougher time  maintaining an energy level.  Her onocologist told her to Bless that fat.  Walking, swimming, biking, treadmills, used wisely, as you can tolerate is so good. Marty
Whether it be surgical menopause or chemo I gained about 25 pounds after treatment and I wasn't a thin girl at the start either, which was depressing, and it is a struggle to see some movement back in the other direction even though I probably eat healthier than I ever have.

I can definately identify with the spare tire around the middle.
Thankyou, you have made me feel so much better, I have really been getting depressed about the whole thing.  

I gained nearly 50lbs over the last two years ... I'm thinking surgical menopause (at 26) and just over 50 chemo infusions might have something to do with it. Like getting diagnosed with cancer wasn't bad enough! The best part is when everyone see's me and says "wow, you look really good for spomeone going through chemo" - *translation* - "wow, I thought poeple got really skinny on chemo, not fat."
You are definately not alone on this one! I know it's really hard not to get depressed about the weight gain, but my chemo nurses always tell me they'd rather see me this size than super skinny...(I think they're just trying to make me feel better...)
Becky
Becky  your smiling face in the picture with Tyson shows us all what a beautiful woman you really are.  No 50#s can cover that up.   I always think that a little fat  distroys wrinkles,  they get all plumped up.   lol   I have wrinkles the size of the Grand Canyon,