Ovarian Cancer Community
weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

weight loss

I know this is a very vain question but after i have had my dermoid removed (size of 24wk pregnancy) can i expect to have a dramatic weight loss.????
I actually gained some weight, but that was because I was sitting around for so long. My swelly-belly went away and clothes fit better, but in terms of actual weight, I gained a few pounds. *sigh*.. like I need more pounds....
~Marianne
I lost initially and was thrilled.  However, my belly still is swollen (4 weeks post op) and I can't get my bottoms on.  (I've invested in yoga pants for the time being.) I think I've gained some back from sitting around so much as well.  So hang in there, getting better will be your main objective!

Shawn
I did not have a dermoid but probably close in size. Mine was a complex cystic mass the size of a volleyball. I had my surgery a week ago today and did not lose any the first few days but I looked so skinny right away. Once I was eating and my bowels were moving like they should I could tell I was getting smaller. I still can't fit into my regular clothes because I'm still swollen but I have already lost 10 pounds from it! I know someone who had a dermoid and lost 25 pounds after it was removed. I'm just trying not to sit around all day eating and watching TV. I am gonna walk as much as I can around the house and crochet when I have to sit. Good Luck!
I had a cantaloupe size mass removed two weeks ago and i have lost about 10 pounds.  My stomach is still somewhat swollen but I don't want to wear things around my waist anyway b/c my incision is still so sore, but I've tried on my old "tight" jeans and they are big again!  Yeah!  I've also noticed that my waist and hips are narrower - and that the swelling is in the front of my stomach.  And don't look at it like vanity - look at it like the BENEFITS of major abdominal surgery....we need something to look forward to throughout all of this, right?

I kinda overdid it the first week home from the hospital and now i'm really tired and hardly have enough energy to stay in the shower for any length of time, but I'm starting to take short walks and am hoping to extend my endurance b/c my husband and I are leaving for a 2 week trip to italy in about 3 weeks!  (yes, i've ok'd it with my doc).

So, i do think the key is paying attention to your body and NOT just eating while we are sitting here being "kept women".