Ovarian Cancer Community
what can elevate ca125?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

what can elevate ca125?

Just wondering what else can raise ca125.I have my 2 month drs appointment tomorrow and as usual I'm scared to death about my blood test results.
Hi, I just read your post-it about the CA125.  I just had mine done on monday and it was 41, normal being 0-35.  I had breast cancer 8 years ago and then had fallopian tube CA (very rare) and treat like OV CA, so they do CA125's every 3 months, then I graduated, ha to six months, then it started climbing.  THey had a study at MD Anderson that showed women on tamoxifen for breast cancer had low or lowering CA125's so they did a study.  My onc put me on Tamoxifen, and I went from 21 to 19, to 15, then to 25.1 and then 41.... so we agreed that if it was rising we would do a scan and if normal change from Tamoxifen to Arumidex or thaladimide which are two other drugs that seem to lower the CA125's which help attack any cells that might be lingering and looking for hormones, is my understanding.  Anyhow my physician explained to me that there are a lot of things that can cause elevation, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammation in the stomach, appendicitis, urinary tract infection, yeast infection, any type of infection PLUS adhesions from which I have lots.  I had a TRAM flap to rebuild my breasts, with mesh in the belly then a hysterectomy through the same scar, then my colon surgery to remove the fallopain tube CA which were encapsulated and removed completely with no spread to lymph nodes or 3" of bowel on each side.  So, my outlook was good, them not knowing much about fallopian tube ca.... so I tell you not to worry, as I sit here and worry, it is something that we survivors tend to do....  Being a christian I know that it is in God's hands and all up to him, but being HUMAN, I worry.  So I will tell you that if you are not worried about going through scans and other tests because of a possibly false CA125, I would continue to have them.... it is the ONLY thing that can detect OV CA early enough to help.  Gee, I hope I answered your question and didn't ramble.  Good luck to you and will pray for you.. You can reach me at my email if you want.
thanks for your response. I should have told you that I had a hysterectomy for ovarian cancer in Oct 04 with a ca125 of 1000. after 2 treatments it was 23. I had cat scan, mammo, pap, and chest xray in april. thank God all was OK. What scared me though in April was that the ca125 went from 10 to 16. But when I had the blood test done, I was also home from work with a horrible cold, cough, ear infection and on antibiotics. Is that something that can raise the ca125?
Yes!!  Any kind of infection or ailment is liable to cause elevated ca125 levels.  Just keep getting checked and make sure your dr. knows about the cold.  Keep us posted.
~Tascha
Had ovarian cancer 12-2006 all good  recently got blood work went from 7 to 19 not concerned too much doctors said recheck in 6 weeks went to 36  cat  scan came back inflamed  lymph nodes maybe suspicious and pet scan came back not suspicious .  What do you think?