Ovarian Cancer Community
what do freeze mean

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

what do freeze mean

iam having a laparotomy on the 30th june they are removing a very large cyst from my right overy,the surgen said they will send a cut of the cyst to the lab 2 b freezed 2 check for cancer i will have the results the same day of op and testing,what do that mean freeze how do they do the testing?is it common on doing the test and having the results the same day,my surgen said he was worried about the blood count.i was 2 scared 2 ask him the questions,,ANY BODY HELP???????????
they have to freeze your tissue for testing otherwise it may got spoiled and not good for thesting. That's what they told me.My test took about 2 weeks due to rechecking my cystic  mass  twice.But yours may take few hours if it is done promptly. Depending on the path machine.Hugs, Sunes.
thanx 4, i wouldnt want 2 wait as long as u did i wouldnt cope wiv the wait,they did say by the time i wake up from the op id av the results let u know the outcome!!!!!!!!!!
From the Journal of Medicine. It only takes minutes to find out whether or not it is cancer...Thats how they know whether or not to do a full hysterectomy

Frozen Section Biopsy
Biopsies are small samples of tissue taken from a mass or tumor that are examined under a microscope to make a diagnosis. Biopsies are used most often to determine whether cancer cells are present, although certain infections and other diseases can be diagnosed as well. A specific type of biopsy procedure called the frozen section was developed in order to make a rapid diagnosis of a mass during surgery.

.

FROZEN SECTION PROCEDURE  

During the frozen section procedure, the surgeon removes a portion of the tissue mass. This biopsy is then given to a pathologist (a doctor who examines tissues and uses laboratory tests to make a diagnosis). The pathologist freezes the tissue in a cryostat machine, cuts it with a microtome, and then stains it with various dyes so that it can be examined under the microscope. The procedure usually takes only minutes.

Frozen Section Biopsy
Biopsies are small samples of tissue taken from a mass or tumor that are examined under a microscope to make a diagnosis. Biopsies are used most often to determine whether cancer cells are present, although certain infections and other diseases can be diagnosed as well. A specific type of biopsy procedure called the frozen section was developed in order to make a rapid diagnosis of a mass during surgery. The December 28, 2005, issue of JAMA includes an article about the origins of the frozen section technique.

FROZEN SECTION PROCEDURE