Ovarian Cancer Community
what does CA125 stand for?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

what does CA125 stand for?

i had blood test at my local gp's. I have read somewhere on this forum that there are 2 tests for ovarian cancer. 1 is the CA125 and the other some sort of protein marker. Can anybody explain as i dont know which one i had or what the difference between them is. Thanks
I need this answered too!!
glad im not the only thickie when it comes to medical things!.
Cheers for the back up.
CA125 a test is the blood test that checks the protein for Ovarian Cancer.  Please be advised that it is not a reliable test in pre-menopausal women and is more of a "maintainence" tool used once Ovarian Cancer has been diagnosised.  

The only true test for Ovarian Cancer is to have the cyst, mass, tumor, etc biopsied.

so what you are saying is there is only one test!. That a protein marker and the CA125 are the same?.
There is no fool proof test for ovarian cancer. The CA test has false positives and false negatives. It measures a certain protein in the blood.
A thorough, albeit slightly medical, description can be found here:

http://www.webmd.com/hw/ovarian_cancer/hw45058.asp

Regards,
Sofi
www.gctf.org.nz
Granulosa Cell Tumour Foundation New Zealand
thanks i just wondered what CA stood for. will have a look. thanks again.
CA is short for Cancer Antigen.  In essence, an antigen is a type of protein.  Many --- but not all --- rapidly growing, malignant cells secrete antigens.  There are other antigens, also known by numbers.  I believe that CA 19 is another antigen associated with reproductive cancers, as well as  CEA, which is short for carcinoembrionic antigen.   For example, if I recall correctly, then elevated CEA levels can also indicate colon cancers.  

While the CA-125 bloodtest is commonly administered for women with ovarian masses, it is very important to understand that not all ovarian, or other, cancers produce this particular antigen.  Thus, the test results could be negative, and cancer might still be found.  Further complicating the situation is the fact that other medication conditions, such as severe endometriosis, infections, and liver disease, can all produce proteins which can cause an elevated CA125 test result, even if no cancer exists!
MY CA125 was normal and I was diagnosed with cancer. To quote Tybear "There are no Mammograms or breast self-exams for Ovarian Cancer". We need a good test or we need to get the word out as far as symptoms are concerned. We need people to back us and the search for a good test for this cancer. Then, maybe we can search for a cure. Go Teal!

My two cents,
Danielle