Ovarian Cancer Community
what is septated cysts and internal debris

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I have been very sick since may with nausea, gas, pain in stomach. I've lost 35 pounds in that time.  My GP found a painful spot around my left ovary and sent me in for an ultrasound.  "left ovary is enlarged with multiple low density lesions, largest being complex with internal echos and changes consistent with hemorrhagic cyst.  It is septated with internal debris.  Largest cyst is 2.4x 2.9x 1.8 cm."  I don't know what all these terms are... low density... internal echos... septated... internal debris.  I am 50 years old and had an aunt on my mom's side and an aunt on my dad's side die of ovarian cancer.  I don't know if that increases my risk.  In 95 my uterus was removed because of adenomyisis and in 97 I had one complex round cyst that resolved itself after three months.  I am without a doctor now becuase in this same ultrasound they found sessile bladder cancer and I have been referred to a larger town for treatment of that.  No one is looking at this ovary problem now.  Does anyone have an idea of what these terms mean and what and how fast I should have this looked at?  The bladder cancer has no symptoms so I assume the stomach problems all stem from the ovaries.  Earlier this year they took my gall bladder out and did a scope on my stomch and all it fine there.  Thank you for any info.
1 Comment
Septated just means that it has separations (someone correct me if I'm wrong!!) and the internal debris means that it's not just a plain, fluid filled cyst. The low density means that the debris isn't thick or hard, and the internal echoes mean that whatever is there is actually inside the cyst, rather than being on it or to the outside of it.
Sounds like a hemmhoragic cyst so far (that's a normal corpus luteum cyst that instead of rupturing to release the egg, it didn't and bled into itself). Hemmhoragic cysts can happen anytime, and normally go away on their own. Repeat ultrasounds are a good check to make sure it's going away.
What sounds more concerning is that you mentioned they found several cysts on the ovary. This sounds more like PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian symdrome) where the ovary releases too many eggs, and you end up with too many cysts with eggs, and only one is supposed to happen. PCOS can cause alot of those symptoms that you mentioned. The usual treatment for PCOS is just oral birth control, to make sure that only one egg/cyst happens during each ovulation (and yes, it can persist after or during menopause)
Hang in there, and I hope they get everything figured out for you!!! Keep us posted!
~Marianne