Ovarian Cancer Community
which is best MRI or PET or MDCT or CT scan?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Just completed my 6 (last I hope) chemo cycle...Now scheduled for what is called a MDCT scan next week...Kinda confused over the different scans and want to know which is the best to do as I have to pay for this out of my pocket . DOn't want to return for better or more inhanced scan. want to do it right the first time? Tried to post to Dr. but site is full. Any coments are appreicated
Hello.. and for what it's worth, my Oncol. orders a Ct/Pet scan for me each time I am due for a scan, as he thinks it gives a good over-all look at how things are doing, and he feels it gives a clearer picture on where the 'hot-spots' are etc. I don't know much about these, but I'm sure some of the other girls here will have some good advice. I hope your scans... whatever you decide to have... come back clear, and you have a long remission. *hugs*...Helen..
I think the PET shows active cancer cells throughout the body. They inject some sort of glucose substance that any cancer cells gobble up and then they show up on the scan. Even if a tumor mass shows on a CT it could be dead which would be shown on PET as dead, no activity. CT scans are only good down to so far, I believe around 1 cm resolution. After that you would need PET or second look or MRI ? A web search will yield a wealth of info in a few minutes. The latest machines combine both PET and CT. This sounds the best to me and of course will probably cost the most. Last I heard a PET scan goes for around $4,000 and CT scan $2,000 in my area. That is full insurance price. Maybe cash price would be lower due to all the markups. It is best too have something to compare to, two PETS, two CTs, etc., to determine progress.  That is just my thinking as a low CA-125 should indicate minimal disease below the CT resolution range but could possibly still mean some small disease in microscopic range, PET scan range. Ideally you would do a CT followed by a PET or simply PET/CT. So in order of preference for one test only PET/CT, PET, CT. Opinion only as I don't know your situation. May it be clear whatever test you have!
Kimchee,

Everyone explained it well. I am posting cause I want to wish you the best with your cat scan!!
When they say "breath out" now "breath in" say to yourself that you are "breathing in the good."

Best wishes & God Bless,
Helen