Ovarian Cancer Community
why using this forum for questions on benign cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I just want to know why the ladies asking the questions here about their benign cysts surgery do it in this wrong forum, which implies malignant cases? Why not to chat on the problems of benign cysts in the forum gynecology/Women's health/Hysterectomy and Other Surgery? Why do you do it only here?
because you can't know if a cyst is benign until it is removed, so there is always a chance of malignancy, i had mine removed along with my ovaries last week and am still awaiting my histology results tho it all looked benign they won't know til then!
Regardless the outcome I wouldn't be so careless to choose such a 'horrible' forum when you can't predict your results which might be more positive than negative. I wouldn't have asked my questions in this forum if only the participants were asking and answering in the related forums. But as my short experience shows I don't receive any answers on my questions in the related forums such as gynecology/Women's health/Hysterectomy and Other Surgery. You see I am very superstitious, especially in regards to my health.That's why I am asking this kind of question.
Okay, first of all this isn't a "horrible" forum.  If anyone takes the time to read the posts and responses on here, you will realize that you are in the presence of wonderful VERY WISE women with much compassion.  This is what happens 1) you google your symptoms and ovarian cancer comes up 2) you find this forum and start reading and realize how knowledgeable and compassionate these women are and you make your post 3) No one knows if their symptoms and cysts, tumors or whatever are malignant or benign until they are removed, The ladies on this forum know and understand that.  4) What ends up happening like in my case and several others is that when you have your surgery and it ends up being benign you feel like you have friends here and you keep coming back and following up with everyone.  It has nothing to do with superstition, anyone of us can get cancer at any times of our lives.  We either have it or we don't and being here, lending our support to others and being supported even by those with cancer does NOT put us at any extra risk of anything.  I have noticed that most of the ladies that do have cancer are the ones that try to post and give advice to people who dont have cancer.  This is what is all about, loving and kindness, and this is why I stay.  Shannon
On your other post you received several answers to your question. We all relayed to you how we healed from the sugeries we have experienced. You asked this question in another forum and received nothing, And you come here and say this is a "horrible" forum. No one can predict the future, yes we all hope and pray everyone that comes here asking questions can leave with a benign status.  I've had alot of the symptoms of OVCA, and I still have some to this day with no answers. I came here scared just like everyone else that doesn't have the DX of OVCA. I've stayed only to answer the questions I can. Like yours regarding surgery since I've had a few. Because someone here was there for me when I first came here to let me know it could be something else. And I thank MickyVicki for her wisdom when I needed it most. People don't come here because their being negative, they come here for hope, comfort, and understanding. I've learned alot in the last two years since I found this forum. And I want to repay all the woman who've come and gone to pass on their experience.
I'm one of those that has a mystery cyst on the ovary but don't know yet what's going on. The women here are. . . well, I can't find a good enough word to use. I post on a couple of other boards that are heart-related but I haven't found the same kind of compassion and kindness that I see here.

I'm menopausal and finding out my ovary is up to something it shouldn't be, well, yes I worry a bit. And more than offering kind words, this is a great place to get information, real life experience with what it means to face unknown gyno issues. I don't write much here because this is all new to me but I will speak up for the women, all the women, on this board. No question is too silly or strange. I appreciate this place so much.
Young Lady, How dare you come to this HORRIBLE Forum... GET LOST. This wonderful forum is open to all...who share a common problem.. whats wrong with me.. WEll I have HORRIBLE STAGE IV CANCER... OH GEEZE..  SOMEHOW i don't feel horrible knowing that I can consul or help or hold someones hand until they do know what the problem is.. Maybe it is their Mom that has it or their sister... Again who are you to call this horrible.  Its a good thing you don't have your name in blue because there is alot I have to say to you and can't on a public forum....You make me SICK... May your doorstep never be tarnished with cancer.
You won't find too many responses on the GYN forum b/c most posts there are about yeast infections and non-life-threatening issues.  No one really has dealt with cysts and if they have, they'll probably refer you over to this forum.  Google the symptoms of an ovarian cyst and OVCA pops up.  That's a damn scary thing.  The thing about this forum, no...COMMUNITY, is that every single person here has been in the same boat at the beginning of their medical journey.  And, like all the women who have posted here have said, no matter the outcome, they come back to help others through their fear and anxiety.  I, for one, really appreciate that!  

I don't think you meant to say that this is a horrible forum.  I think you meant that the disease is horrible.  That doesn't make it less real.  You cannot stick your head in the sand about it and coming here will not jinx you, either.  If you have symptoms, whether they have an OVCA outcome or not, this is a wonderful forum to come to.  When others cannot understand, here you will ALWAYS find someone to care.

I hope you come back to apologize for the way you wrote your words.  These women don't need to feel as if you've attacked them.  

If you are truly superstitious then you know that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

There are surgical procedures that reduce the chance of spilling   cancerous cells - if they are indeed  present -   during the removal of an ovarian mass, be that mass  a solid tumor or a fluid-filled cyst.   As has been stated above, there is no definite determination of malignancy until the surgery itself.  

At the risk of sounding rather frightening, I caution all women facing surgery to consider the mass a likely candidate for malignancy, and  to proceed with the precautions that entails - that small but important  ounce of prevention!  Women should insist the surgeons use  procedures to protect against spillage.

Women will only know to ask for these protective surgical procedures if we talk about them, and this forum is an excellent place to share this information.  

Horrible??  I think not.  Not when we might be saving someone's life.
I truly believe you did not intend to say this forum is horrible, but that the disease itself is horrible - which it is. I'm 27 years old and was staged at 3C ovarian cancer, yet, I continue to help as many women as possible with ANY of their gynecologic symtoms (symptoms). I think it is a little silly to NOT ask questions about cysts in this forum because you may jinx your cyst to cancer. This forum is filled with incredible women/men who all share a similar bond. I have received more knowledge here about ovca/symptoms/cysts/tumors than anyother place including my onc's office. I do hope you apologize to everyone here you offended, myself included. Deandra
superstition?  What a ridiculous notion, our health is not down to nonsense like that.  If you don't like this forum then don't visit or join in, the support on here is second to none even if the cyst turns out to be benign, the worry leading up to a diagnosis is unreal and people like these are there to help with any questions with answers drawn from their own experiences.
If you read carefully my comment you will see that the word horrible is in inverted commas implying the horrible disease not the answers, which I find very clever and supportive. Nevertheless I would use the forum that I have mentioned earlier more gladly, because if you are benign why to refer yourself to malignant cases. I wish all the respondents who feel offended by my words a complete recovery and forgetting about this forum, in a good sense of course.
This is really a special place, not horrible at all. I would be so bold as to say there is nothing else quite like it. People make real friendships here and go out of their way to visit each other or send cards and flowers or whatever. And please remember cancer is not the plague, it's an illness and it really helps to talk about it, not hide it away in a closet. I have noticed most people are reluctant to talk to cancer patients, like it will make it worse somehow, when the opposite is true.
Well good luck with your situation.
I concur ladies, I still don't know if mine is benign or malignant yet, will not know anything until after my surgery in 3 weeks and the path reports come back and even if it is benign, I wouldn't have been able to get through all this stress and worry without you all. The women here are wonderful, supportive and caring and strong. It doesn't matter what their diagnosis is, they still help out anyone who posts here no matter what it is. I do not believe in superstition, I am a very logical factual person..that's one of the reasons I am here, to learn from others with experience.
I can't add anything more than what these wonderful women above have said.  I just want you all to know that I totally concur with your posts to ignorant comments such as the topic of this posting.

Cirella is abosutely right - that is how I got here almost a year ago and I still don't have a dx yet - one way or the other - as many don't.  This is just a wonderful support network of women and men (and very young girls sometimes) for reproductive organ issues.  Everyone that is touched in some way or another with these issues is welcome here and no question is dumb - benign or malignant; the symptoms in the beginning are the same for both.  We come here for SUPPORT and those that cannot offer it, do not belong here.

Yes, go back to the gyno forum because, as said above, no one there can compare with what is on this forum.  I tried that forum and it was quite cold over there so I'm back here where it's warm and comforting and I know I'll get answers and SUPPORT!

What is wrong with some people??!!!  It's like talking (reading) with my SIL - cold and uncaring!  Now let's blow off this post and get back to helping each other; I need to feel warm and cuddly again......... Elizabeth

What is your health situation that you are on here to start with?   I must have missed something.  You pretty much answered your own question when you said the other forum is not helpful. When it comes to cysts we like women to come here with their questions even if it turns out to be benign.  We like to counsel women with cysts who are facing surgery to get to a gynonc as a regular gyn could spill cancer into them if he busts a tumor cause he doesn't know what he is doing.  They are right to come looking for answers here as we all did.  Why are you hiding?  You all come in here and skulk around and don't put anything in your profile or tell us who you are but than you judge who comes on this forum.  It has been a bad day for all so just go away and leave us alone please.
Just looking in before bedtime. Yes, a very bad day indeed. Very unusual I might say in case anyone is new to the forum. I've never seen this happen before. Well, tomorrow is another day.
I agree that is has been a bad day here....It has been some time since I have seen this myself. If I may end this on a slightly humorous note, I will say that the last time I got quite stirred up was when someone was terribly unhappy that I posted information about bioidentical hormones and I was acused of growing my own hormones in my backyard !!! :)   Now, that would be something, huh? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry....luckily that poster went away and we all got back to the great support that defines this forum!

Mary
None of knows the true nature of our cysts until they are removed. It's a common journey ending in two destinations, but we all begin at the same place.

If we ever get to a point where there is anger at the displaying of love, compassion, support and caring for others then we are in a pathetic world indeed.

Sharon
The best chance of surviving this disease is early diagnosis....the best chance of early diagnosis is being able to educate others on the signs and symptoms as they are there even in early stages...if we can convince just one person that might come along and be uncertain of what is going on to get the proper medical attention and be diagnosised early we would all be thrilled....so we open our arms and hearts to anyone that has any fear or interest with regard to this disease.  No where does it say that someone has to have OvCa to be part of this forum.  

Hopefully you are heathly and will walk away from this forum with a benign diagnosis and hopefully you will share the knowlege you have gained  everyone you know, who knows, maybe you too can save a life.

Best of luck to you.

Best of luck to you.
Great answer and kudos to you for taking the high road; something that my anger has foolishly gotten in the way of today.  
I do think your reply wraps up nicely what the rest of us were trying to get to.
Thank you
Actually I was just mildly hinting  this site forums moderator to add one more forum of general nature like ovarian cysts. Secondly, the word 'ovarian' refers to female organs, male organs dont't have such an organ like ovary. That's why I am greatly surprised when reading that men write posts in the forum on ovarian issues. Wish you all good luck and thank you for support.
Honey, the men on here are just as affected by all of this as we are.  Can you imagine how frustrating it is for them to have to sit back and watch their wives die from this horrible monster.  Men are the "fixers" and they can't do anything to fix this so yes, their pain and suffering and their insight and research are just as welcome as anyone who has this.  
If you have a suggestion for medhelp, write to them.  I have found their IT people to be very warm and caring.  I am sorry I was hard on you last night.  It really had nothing to do with you and everything to do with someone whom we all hope will not be back.
Jan
Well said Jan. My father had the worst time digesting my dx. He was always the man I would call on to fix all of my problems...leaky faucet, broken window, locked my keys in the car, credit card trouble. You name it, he fixed it. He went into a state of depression when I was dx because he couldn't fix it. My mother had to hold him together, and I feel he would have found this forum of use while I was in the hospital. Hope you are well hon. With love, Deandra
My goodness, what in the world is this post about. I myself don't have a diagnosis yet. I'm young for this disease and I have suffered many of the symptoms for almost 2 years. I do have a complex cyst, I have been DX with severe endometriosis also. I am facing surgery in the next month to look at the cyst and have a mass in my uterus removed that is probably a fibroid. I think the point is that any women who gets word that she has a complex, solid or simple cyst think Oh no, Could this be OVCA? I myself find that so many questions here are answered everyday, above and beyond that of OVCA. Men who come here need to see the stories of other women who have made it and beat this terrible cancer. Children come here for hopes that their mother, sister, grandmother etc will survive. We all need eachother. Too many cases of OVCA are misdiagnosed in the earlier stages when early detection is invaluable. For me the stories of young women my age who fought their Drs when told nothing's wrong or that this "cyst" in normal give me the courage and impowerment I need to stand up for myself. If not for my own insistence my cyst would never have been detected b/c at 27 they only wanted a pelvic exam and felt an ulteasound wasn't necessary.
Anyway, I read here mostly but felt that I must contribute to this post. People here ( all ages and both sexes) are willing and able to answer almost all questions pertaining do the subject of OVCA. Think of the relief people have here when they read stories of hope and survival. It's priceless really. Whatever the situation at some point someone here has shared our story and isn't it nice to make instant friends who support and teach you. That's what matters the most I believe is comforting those in all stages, those with a good news call that it's not cancer, those that get the terrible news, those who are at the beginning and those who are nearing the end.
WELL SAID!
Is Medinla the same poster as FunkyMonkey?  In the six months I have been on this board I have never seen anything like these past few days and it seems weird there are two of them at the same time.  Both mentioned above seem concerned about this forum incorporating people who weren't dx with OVCA.  I feel the same as the ladies who posted above in saying all are welcome.  We were all women "with suspicious masses" before our dx.  Thank heavens there are some happy endings that are benign.  God bless all of the men who are loving and supportive.  This is hard on them too! This is about helping each other and relieving stress...not writing posts that are unkind or stressful.  I hope all who are new or visiting know that those of us with a cancer dx are here to support you and answer questions.   Shelly