Ovarian Cancer Community
will endometriosis turn into ovarian cancer?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

will endometriosis turn into ovarian cancer?

I have a two part question.First I would like to know how likely it is for endometriosis to develop into ovarian cancer?The second part of my question is, how similiar are symptoms of menopause and endometriosis?I'm not sure if I am experiencing premenopause or if is just side effects of my endometriosis.
Related Discussions
6 Comments
Blank
i have had endometriosis 4 about 6 or 7 years now could you please tell me can it lead to avarian cancer?
if so what are the signs? thank you
Blank
I have had endometriosis stage 4 for 3 years ive also read that endo can turn into cancer i would really like to hear an experts opinion
Blank
308998_tn?1233708502
I am not an expert and perhaps someone else on the forum will know more than I do about this but I do believe it is uncommon for endo to become cancerous. I have read of rare malignant transformations occurring but I personally wouldn't worry.

Take Care,

Treebee
Blank
155056_tn?1333642288
I do not know it endo turns into other cancers, possibly uterine....but, not ovarian cancer.  I was at a seminar and a GYN/ONC explained that when it comes to Ovarian Cancer, you either have it or  you don't.  In other words a cyst will not become cancerous if left alone if it was not cancerous to start with.
Blank
That question is being studied now and it seems there can be a link.  Here is one study's link...  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16844279?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

There are other related articles on the right.  
Blank
My reading of the medical literature through Pubmed is that malignant transformation occurs in about 0.7% of endometriosis sufferers. That it most commonly occurs in the ovary if the endometriosis is found there. Maybe this is what the doctor meant. I gather it can be difficult histologically to tell the difference between endometriosis turned malignant or whether it is an ovarian cancer. The chemo treatment seems to be the same though. They seem to give radiotherapy to some of these as they seem to recur locally in the pelvis. Hope this is helpful...
Blank
A related discussion, When is enough enough? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank