Recovery time after post surgical infection and additional procedure?
Hi - just less than 2 weeks ago I had a 6cm cyst removed by laparoscopic procedure.  I was first on the list but last to leave on the day as I had a delayed reaction to the anaesthetic - I still have a bruise on my bum from the antiemetic injection!  I was great a day or so after the procedure and thought I would be a lucky one with a quick recovery,just with bad bruising, but on the Sunday after (4 days post op), I was still losing blood vaginally and the day after that I felt dreadful - the discarge was opaque and blood stained - I didn't expect to be bleeding from there.  Went to gyne emergency as advised and was told I had an infection and put on antibiotics.  I still hurt when I cough, laugh and stand up too quickly and I am supposed to be back in work towards the end of next week.  To make matters worse I have to have a hysteroscopy day after tomorrow :(  Does anyone know if this will make matters worse - I just don't want to make my usual mistake of going back to work too soon because I feel guilty being off!!  Can anyone advise?  So far I feel like next week is too soon after having an infection. I am not normally a softy but I haven't had surgery like this before. Thanks x
I would tell the surgeon that is going to do your hysteroscopy about the infection. He may postpone it till everything is cleared up. I would think it would depend on what all your dr thinks he has to do during your hysteroscopy as to when you could return go work and what your job demands of you. You can expect to have bleeding and cramping after the procedure. I had a lot of polyps removed along with a large septum. I had to cook and clean for Christmas a week afterwards and I really wasn't feeling up to it but I managed. Please make sure you run the infection info by your dr. I would really guess it would be rescheduled.
wishing you a speedy recovery!
Ginger
Hi Ginger - thanks for your reply and good wishes.  It makes sense but it was the gynae doctor who put me on antibiotics who booked me for the hysteroscopy!  I will mention that I still seem to be in pain after the surgery and see what they say

Best wishes
Jenny
Well - I turned up for the hysteroscopy, but the gynaecologist didn't go ahead with it!  Probably an unnecessary referral and too soon after surgery!  Thank goodness for that - I didn't want any more battering.....

I am surprised to report that I am still in a lot of severe discomfort around the mid-abdominal area - quite tender under pressure.  Hope it goes soon.  I was told I had scarring under my belly button and was asked if I had had a laparoscopy before - (never been aware of it unless I have been abducted by aliens!).  Can't even imagine why I would have scarring unless I had an umbilical infection when I was born.
Jenny
How long has it been now since your surgery? I think the infection is slowing down the healing process. Did your dr at least check you the day of cancellation? I had adhesions all over my abdomen when they did my first scope at age 17. I actually had quite the mess in there and my doctor was shocked. I had endometriosis, an ovarian cyst, adhesions, a septum in my uterus that I had repaired by a specialist almost a year ago so that I can carry a baby hopefully. My second scope I had a cyst and endometriosis removed at age 25.
I hope you get to feeling better.
Hi Ginger - it will be 3 weeks at the end of this week which would have been the end of my sicknote, but I have been to the GP who has extended my sicknote for another week.  I hope this will be enough - its not been a good recovery time with builders and plumbers being all over the place - that won't have helped I'm sure.  Bad timing.

Wow you were young for all that mess!!  I am getting on a bit now (over 50 :( ), so I suppose I can't complain.  All the swabs I had were negative, so it must just have been severe bruising and trauma - the gynaecologist did check me out and she was quite happy - just takes time she said!

Thanks for your support
Jenny x
I'm glad the swabs came back clean. Just take it easy if you can for the rest of the time you have off. Hopefully you will be good as new very soon!