Ovarian Cysts Community
10 cm Ovarian Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

10 cm Ovarian Cyst

I'm a 17 year old girl and last week I was admitted to hospital for acute abdominal pain. After a tummy scan the gynaecologists found a 10 cm ovarian cyst on the right ovary. They sent me home with painkillers and booked me in for an operation next Tuesday.
Due to the large size, they are not sure whether they will do a laparotomy or a laparoscopy.
I've got a few questions which I've been worrying about -
1) What's the usual recovery time for the two procedures? (given my age and the fact I'm in v good health etc.)
2) Is there any chance that I will come out of either surgery infertile/having lost an ovary? Obviously I really really hope this is not the case as I would love to have children in the future.
3) How soon after will I be expecting to go back to school? I've got really important exams this year so don't want to miss too much of the first few weeks of term!
4) I'm very pale so am worried about the scar - do they normally heal and fade?
5) Are they particularly risky procedures? I know all surgery has its risks but obviously I don't want anything to go wrong.

Thank you so much, hopefully your answers will put me at ease!

Tags: ovarian, Ovarian Cysts, functional cyst, ovaries, teenager
At your age, the preferred method of ovarian cyst removal is by laparoscopy rather than laparotomy. If there is a chance that your cyst is cancerous, a more invasive procedure called a laparotomy may be recommended.

Laparoscopy is a type of keyhole surgery where small cuts are made in your lower abdomen and the operation usually takes about an hour. Most women are able to go home later on the same day or the following day.
A laparoscopy is the preferred surgical method because it causes less pain and allows you to resume normal activity sooner.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Bless you
Although I cannot answer your questions I would be interested to know what all your symptoms were. I am currently under investigation with my cyst, still waiting on the 2nd ultrasound to see what is going on. I know my body and I am sure that the cyst has got bigger if not more of them. Mine was 2.5cm about 4 weeks or so ago.

Good luck with your Op x
Hi...When i have open surgery in my tummy 2011 removed my right falopian tube yup its painful after the surgery i recovered 2 mos..now i have 2 ovarian cysts size 10&7 cm.maybe i will have surgery again i hope you will be fine soon Good luck to God Bless!
I was also 17 when I had my left ovary and tube removed due to a 14cm cyst, I had this removed via a cut from hip to hip so not sure which the correct name for that operation is, but I was in hospital for 2 nights and was made to get up and walk 8 hr after the operation (yes was very painful) I was on morphine and pain killers during my stay in hospital and then went onto co-codomol painkillers for 4 weeks after my operation, it was very painful and I wpuldnt wish it on anybody but after the initial healing started the pain went of pretty quick, maybe 2-3 months I was able to walk properly and sleep comfortably! As far as fertility,  I am now 28 weeks pregnant so you can get pregannt with one ovary! Hope all goes well for you! X