Ovarian Cysts Community
10 cm ovarian mass ???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

10 cm ovarian mass ???

one montha go i had symptoms of back and lower abdominal pain. went to the er thinking i had kidney infection after a ct scan was told i had a 9 cm cyst on my ovary. i was terrified ! went to follow up with my doc after a sonogram and he said very calmly that it looks like a fluid filled mass and should go away on its own. a few days ago i was experiencing pain again and headed back to the er. this time i was told that the mass had grown to 10 cm x 10 cm x 8cm and siad i need a referral to a ob/gyn for removal.went to the doc today for the referral and he says it looks benign !! how the hell do you look at a piece of paper without doing any blood tests or anything and say it LOOKS benign ? i am getting mixed signals. he says fluid is not much to worry about but because it is so large that there is more going on. i wont know more till i see the gyno but i am falling apart here ! i am just 36 and my youngest is only 3. i cant leave them yet ! symptoms include nauea, back pain, sharp pains in my pelvis.....i am terrified ! with all these mixed messages i dont know what to think and everything i read on the internet about masses this large is not good. i seriously am one more breakdown away from checking out...please help.
First of all, remain calm.  I am in the 10 cm cyst club, too.  I got mine 12 years older than you, but got the same reaction initially when they said it needed to be removed.

Mine was benign.  When there's that much fluid (they can tell solid from fluid from ultrasounds and CT scans) they don't know what the fluid could be hiding so they raise the alert bar a bit higher.

The symptoms you are having could be blamed on a large benign cyst.  This does not mean you have cancer.  It does mean you have a cyst large enough that it should be removed.  It is highly unlikely it can go away on its own.  It might mean the loss of the affected ovary but you can live and feel normal with one ovary.

You can read my surgery story in the "about me" section of my profile.  It might help you to understand how common this story really is and put your mind at ease a bit.
Hi Natasha,

I agree with Marie, it's hard to be calm when the Dr.'s scare you & send you mixed signals. Ten years ago I had a 10 cm. mass which according to my ultrasound, "must be considered malignant until proven otherwise." It was an endometrioma, completely benign. It sounds like yours is all fluid (not complex) and is probably a funtional cyst which is probably why the Dr. said it could go away. Masses of that size cause pain because they are encroaching on other organs space, they can also twist and cause severe pain. My ovary & cyst were removed with no difficulties. Wish you the best, lots of people have "big, benign" cysts!
Robin
Hi Natasha,

I agree... I have a complex cyst that has grown by just over 1 cm in the last month or so and my gyno isn't worried at all. I'm 45. The cystic structure is now 7.1cm and she wants it out before I start feeling pain (in case it twists). I'm having it removed Dec 1, but she said to me today on the phone that she really really really doubts its anything bad. I was concerned because it had grown, but she said it hasn't grown very much. She said if it had tripled or more in size in the short time period, she would be concerned about it. From what I've read on here over the last few weeks, you're young and age is really on your side.

One thing that my gyno told me today kind of surprised me. She said if a cyst of my size was found malignant in a younger person who still wanted to have a child, they would wait for her to get pregnant and have her child before removing ovaries etc... which seems to imply it's not a really fast moving cancer (at least when you're young.) The fluid really makes it sound like yours is benign and he wants to remove it to stop the pain and other symptoms, so you can get on with your life.

I have found these forums a lot more valuable than the clinical medical sites, so read through the posts if you feel you need to. There are a lot of real people who have experienced the fear that we are having, and so many of them are right here to tell us they were worried for nothing! :)  

Fizzy
thank you so much for the encouragment ! although i understand nobody can take away the terror...i feel a bit better knowing i am not alone. the size continues to keep the panic button on full speed though i am trying to keep it together. another worry is that i dont have insurance and am terrified that surgery will be dnied without it. can they do that ?
wenr to the ob/gyn today and as expected he told me that i would indeed need surgery for removal. i a little freaked about it since he is insisting on doing a same day lapro rather than regular surgey, but since it is almost 10 cm i thought that was not possible ? also both sonogram said that the cyst was on my left ovary but the ct scan said right side and that is where all of my pain and pulling is. doctor said that wa sjust because of the pulling from the heavier side...anybody ever heard of that before ?