Ovarian Cysts Community
11 Year Old with Complex Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

11 Year Old with Complex Cyst

My 11 year old has been having pain for the past two weeks. Due to some blood and urine test her doctor was thinking kidney stones, however after a sonogram they discovered a 12x16x15 mm complex cyst with internal septations present on her left ovary. No evidence for free fluid. My question is this why would an 11 year old non-menstrating have a complex cyst. Also what does internal septations mean? She has an appointment with a GYN later this month. I am just trying to get as much information as possible and to find out what questions I need to ask the GYN. Please let me know of any information that would be helpful.
Thank you
A cyst with septations means that the cyst has solid components inside that are in segments separated by a wall. The thicker the wall, the higher the risk that it is malignant. However, most cysts are benign, especially in younger women. Cysts are benign most of the time, whether they are fluid filled or complex.  I'm really not sure why your daughter would get one at such a young age. Has she started her cycles yet? Cysts are common among women within the reproductive age, but I do think you're daughter's case is rare.  Still, I'm sure that you don't have to worry about it being malignant. I'm sorry that your daughter has to go through this and I will keep her in my prayers. Good luck. I hope that it's not causing her pain.
Hi ,
  This is the second case this week of a young girl being dx. with ovarian cysts. That is rare I would think. I'm so glad you are seeing a specialist. Please let us know. I wish I had some great answers for you, but I know you'll feel better (and so will she) once you see the Gyn.. You might like to go to the top right of this page where you will find "Health Pages" . There is a lot of information about cysts.. Also the old stand by; Google will shed a little more light on it..  
Hi: My daughter had an enormous cyst on her ovary at 5 weeks! It crushed the fallopian tube and part of her bowl and stomach and required emergency surgery. And still, all was well. She is now 13, perfectly healthy, and has normal periods.

I would not worry too much about it. It's good that she's seeing a doc, but I think it's unusual for it to be malignant at such a young age. BTW, my daughter's cyst was huge, painful and very problematic...and was completely benign.
Hi My Daughter had a Twisted Ovaria and she had a op for that and she had a cysts all so and the left it there they would not take it out anyway we went back just about 6 months after the op to get a ultrsound done and it was 10 mm so i had to go to spec then they had to get a refaeral to the gyn and it was alot of waiting but now she still has it they wont take it out its now gone down to 4mm but the gyn said he hads to come out has her ovaria might twist again but then she rang who did the op and she said leave it for 6 months to see what happens i hate the waiting. and she had 2 lots of bleeding in 1 month and she leaks all over everything when she had 2 pads on.