I've knows for a couple of weeks that there was some cyst type stuff going on but just got done with the ultrasound today. I have two, one is 11cm, one is 6cm, both on the right ovary. I am very uncomfortable, like there is something just in my way, which prompted my visit to my gyn. I look about 6 months pregnant and it hurts to tie my shoes! I'm 38.
Now, she says I can wait 6 weeks and have it checked again but considering it's already been bothering me for months (I just didn't know what it was), it probably will not go away on it's own. She can schedule me for a lap to remove them sometime in November (which is 6 weeks out anyway) so I told her to go ahead and schedule it. If I find things seem to be shrinking by then, I'll ask for another ultrasound.
Now my question, as this is all new to me.... are these the only options? I don't want to make a choice for surgery without finding out everything I can. I definitely want them out/gone, buh bye one way or another as I'm quite tired of feeling uncomfortable all the time.
I had a 10 cm cyst and the one option I did NOT have according to my doctor was to do nothing. When the cysts get large like that there's a chance the ovary and tube can flip and twist which would be not only painful but also a medical emergency. And also, if they burst, you're going to be in a lot of pain. So yes, my opinion is that scheduling surgery is a good idea.
Hi, I agree with Ireneo. You are lucky that you've gotten a surgery scheduled quickly. Stick with that plan, I'd say, and let us know how you do. In the mean time, ask any questions you feel like asking.
I agree, too, that you need surgery. They can do another ultrasound before the surgery to confirm the sizes again, but it sure sounds like they won't have shrunk any. Hope you aren't in too much pain, if you are, ask for something for the pain while you wait for surgery. Good luck!
My gyno felt that I had a 7cm which turned out to be a 12cm on the right with an additional chocolate cyst on the teratoma, but she did not want me to wait. They did a CA125 blood test to see if the levels were good and then the scheduled the surgery. I had to wait 4 weeks, due to my gyn wanted a Oncologist to do the surgery. I was so uncomfortable and cannot believe that even though I had some pain recovering it was well worth it. It is worth getting anything out of there. There were so many issues I had been having, there were really too many too count.
Thanks ladies. The consensus seems to be that surgery is the best thing to do. It is scheduled for Oct. 20th, which is the soonest it could be done. I'm not sure I'd describe it as pain most of the time but definitely very, very uncomfortable even walking. I literally feel like I have a foreign object in my abdomen, go figure! As long as my kids stay off my lap, it's not too bad. I keep trying to remember when it started and it was so gradual I honestly don't know. I just know I started getting scared when I realized it didn't just feel like something in there, but that there was something in there!
Is the ca125 test mostly the norm? She didn't do that on me. They said the cyst is "clear looking" and "simple looking" if that makes a difference in whether or not to do the blood test. Still, it seems pretty big and worrisome.
I'm a little scared about the surgery but VERY excited to get these things out of me! She originally thought I had one that was 6cm. Kinda like suddenly finding out you're having twins :). I'm not sure exactly what those measurements indicate as far as comparison size but it feels like there's a watermelon in there.
hi i think that you have done very well to get a date so quick i found out 6 weks ago that i have a 17.2cm cyst in the right side and i am still waiting to see a bowel doc now before they even think of a date for me ... so you are lucky good luck and take care
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.