Ovarian Cysts Community
12 cm cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

12 cm cyst

I had a 7 cm cyst ruptue on my left ovary in April and had emergency surgery.  The doctor removed the blood but could not remove the ovary because everything was adhered together because of years on endometriosis.  I was in terrible pain last week again on the left side and went to my ob today. I now have a 12cm cyst and she said I need to have my ovary removed. I am so scared of going through this surgery because she said I am a mess inside. Has anyone ever been in this situation. I am also leaving for NC on 11/6 for a weekend with my 12 year old daughter and do not want to cancel.
I know there are a few ladies on this board who have had a lot of abdominal scarring and adhesions from previous surgeries and from endo. They were able to have the surgeries done to remove the problem and the gyn surgeons have a lot of experience with these kind of situations. I'm sure someone will see your post and give you more detailed information soon.
Has your doctor told you what type of surgery she will be doing to remove the ovary? I just had laparoscopic surgery to remove both ovaries and fallopian tubes last Monday and my surgeon found an endometrioma that was showing up as something else on my test results. She told me I had a lot of scarring but she didn't say where, I assumed she meant my tubes, hence the need for removing them.
The size of a cyst and other factors will determine if you'll need a laparoscopy or laparotomy. Sometimes it can start as a laparoscopy and end up a laparotomy if the surgeons need more space to work in to remove everything they need to.
Try not to worry too much because once it's done and you've recovered you'll feel a lot better and not have to worry anymore about the cyst coming back, although if you have the other ovary you could develop a cyst there in the future. Has your doctor discussed the possibility of removing the other ovary? If your already in menopause it may be beneficial but if your young and not nearing menopause she may want you to keep it for hormonal reasons.
When is your surgery scheduled? If you think you can take your trip and not be in too much pain, you can ask your doctor is she thinks it o.k. to go. The only issue would be if it also ruptures, so I wish I could tell you just go and have fun but I'd hate for that to happen to you if your not near your local e.r. and your own doctor.
Good luck and let us know when your surgery is scheduled.
Valerie
   I'm sorry you're having to go through with this. Actually one of our members that had similar problems will be on soon .. When do they want to do this surgery? . Someone with more experience in this area will be checking in I'm sure..

Sandy
Hi there!  I had surgery in June to remove a 16 cm cluster of cysts that had bled together (they thought it was one large cyst before surgery).  I had had a number of previous surgeries for intestinal issues and ectopic pregnancies.  My gyn was concerned about performing surgery on me as he was afraid that he might cause harm to my intestinal pouch.  He arranged for a general surgeon to go in with him for the surgery.

I had asked that they perform a total hysterectomy.  With the risk on this surgery I didn't want to go through it again should I have any further problems.  However, once they were inside the adhesions and scar tissue was so bad that all my internal organs are glued together.  It took them 3 hours just to remove my cysts, right ovary and tube.  They felt it was too risky to try and remove anything else because of the attachments.  I was very disappointed when I woke up but do understand their concern.  I am very worried that if I get a cyst on my other ovary that the next surgery will be quite an ordeal.

Because of your issues and the size they will probably do a laparotomy for you.  If this happens before your weekend away you will have to cancel it.  You will be out of commission for 4 to 6 weeks.  Do you have a date for surgery yet?  

I really feel for you but do trust that they have dealt with these situations before.  You will feel like a million bucks when this is all done and dealt with. Please keep us posted.