Ovarian Cysts Community
14 cm Dermoid on R ovary, panicked on day of surgery.. Need some input

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I am new here and in desperate need of help. I have a 14cm dermoid on my right ovary. I was scheduled for laproscopic robotic surgery yesterday.. And well, I freaked out and did not go through with the procedure.  I am terrified of the anesthesia and even talking to my doctors and nurses did not help. I know this needs to come out ASAP, and I am planning on rescheduling... I just am looking for some help from you guys.. How do you ease your mind about anesthesia before your surgery? :(
dont be scared of anesthesia, its like your bestfriend helping you with pain :)

about the surgery i had a laparatomy  last sept. it took about 1 1/2 hour
laprascopic is less invasive and faster recovery post-op
dont be scared just think about being pain free after you recover from surgery :)

good luck
thank you! the thing is i am not in pain at all, i didn't even know it was there until my primary doc found it in a routine physical.  my ob/surgeon said that he would probably have to remove my right ovary as well. i am still way too scared to be put under, i wouldn't even let them give me any drugs to take the edge off of my anxiety :(
I got some sedative tablets before my surgery, only had a chance to panic just as they were putting me under, and it was too late for me to do anything about it then lol! Ask them about it and find out what they can give you next time, it sounds like you need to have it arranged in advance.

Anesthetics really isnt too bad, going to sleep is so easy. Waking up is easy for most people as well.
Avoid drinking water until the next morning though, wet your lips, but dont drink. It can give you nausea if you are unlucky. As lot12 said, the anesthetics help with pain relief after the surgery for most people as well, and you will most likely also have gotten a bit of morfine before waking up as well. Pain relief is generally quite effective.

I had no pain from my cyst either, just discomfort, and it made me unsure about going through surgery as well. Unfortunately it has to come out for you to be able to get on with your life and avoid future complications/pain from it. Trust me, it is better to get it sorted now than letting it get bigger/worse. You are only postponing the surgery, but Im sure you already know that.

Just be strong and go through with it, you will be ok!
Hi I have done just the same as you I didn't go through with my surgery either but I am in Pain but to scared to go to sleeP I have 2 6th mass on each overy