Ovarian Cysts Community
16cm benign ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

16cm benign ovarian cyst

hello. I am booked for removal of cyst and ovaries in June. The cyst is full of fluid, size of a football. I have had bad cystitis for months with dragging groin pain, urgency and disturbed nights. Has anyone had these symptoms and were they relieved by surgery.
The surgeon says they may improve but not sure. I have been mis diagnosed by GP, urologist, nephrologist, finally the gynae lot did an MRI, pelvic.
Thank you
Welcome to the community. Did your doctor explain why your ovaries are being removed versus just the cyst (cystectomy)? Most ovarian cysts are benign especially in women without a family history / predisposition for ovarian cancer. Not all surgeons have good cystectomy skills that can save the ovary or at least part of it for hormone production. But if your other ovary is healthy, it would not seem you would need to have it removed unless you have cancer or are high risk.

I had a large complex ovarian cyst and was over-treated 9 years ago at age 49 (both ovaries, uterus, and tubes were removed). It has been a life-shattering experience in every way. Although I am thankful I did not have cancer, if I had I would have at least understood the reasoning for removing my organs and been more "accepting" of the resulting rapid aging and body and figure changes.

I was not given any of the medically documented facts about the harm of female organ removal (uterus or ovaries) before signing the surgical consent form. I was led to believe that "surgical menopause" is similar to natural menopause when in fact they are VERY different. Naturally menopausal ovaries are shown to produce hormones at least well into the 70's. These hormones (androgens and estrogen) are essential to every cell in the body (hair, skin, eyes, heart, brain, other organs) and every aspect of health. Hormone "replacement" cannot mimic the action of the ovaries and the ovaries' communication with the other endocrine glands (e.g., thyroid, adrenals, pituitary, hypothalamus, pancreas, etc.).

Unfortunately, we have to do our own research and advocate for ourselves since we are the ones who have to live with the consequences.

I wish you the best in getting treatment that restores your health instead of causing a whole new set of problems. Please keep us abreast of your treatment.
hello. I am well past the menopause but still on HRT and intend to  stay on it. The lining of my bladder is red and inflamed due to the pressure of this cyst -on cystoscopy. I have tried every cystitis treatment. I just want to know if anyone else has this problem. The cyst is full of fluid, 800 ml and is benign
Thank you
Even though you are on HRT, your ovaries may still be producing hormones especially androgens / testosterone. As far as the bladder symptoms, it sounds like you are referring to Interstitial Cystitis (IC)? Ovarian cysts or any pelvic mass can put pressure on the bladder but I have not heard of it causing interstitial cystitis per se.

Dietary changes and bladder training are helpful in managing IC symptoms. According to the Mayo Clinic:
"Common bladder irritants — known as the "four Cs" — include: carbonated beverages, caffeine in all forms (including chocolate), citrus products, and food containing high concentrations of vitamin C. Also consider avoiding similar foods, such as tomatoes, pickled foods, alcohol and spices. Artificial sweeteners may aggravate symptoms in some people."

I hope your surgery goes well and you get IC symptom relief!