Ovarian Cysts Community
2.2 cm complex cyst but my belly is large

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

My problems started around Dec of 2013 with some steady weight gain. I started watching calories and in January 2014 started some exercise (running in place, jumping jacks etc..) The end of January I had a little spotting, then a very painful bowel movement and started to have vaginal bleeding. I have not had a period in 8 years (Hormone levels in 2009 showed peri-,menopause but almost post menopause). I had been period free for 3 years at that point.
The Bleeding was moderate to heavy on day one then tapered off as if it were a normal period BUT my stomach had bloated out enormously. Size 8 pants to size 12.

I saw my GYN. Had Transvaginal ultrasound. Ultrasound showed 2cm cyst/mass with calcification. Also endometrial thickening. She mentioned "Dermoid" and said she would do surgery to remove the cyst with ovary at which time she would do a D&C and Hysteroscopy. I said if there was any abnormality I would prefer a total hysterecomy seeing I am done having children. So she decided at that point to just do a D&C, Hysteroscopy, blood work and CA-125.

Post D&C, all tests came back fine but I continued to have a very swollen abdomen since January ( I look 7 months pregnant) and now have pressure, slight cramping on right side, hip and thigh pain, enlarged and painful breasts, fatigue and frequent urination, sluggish bowels, gas and I continue to gain weight. I was a size 8 and 138 pounds before the bleed the end of january and I am now 157 pounds and none of my clothes fit. I am only comfortable in stretch pants.

I called the GYN and she said it sounded like a bladder infection that the cyst would not cause those symptoms. She gave me an antibiotic which I finished and my symptoms are the same. I continue to watch my calories. An example would be yesterday ( small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, 2 rice cakes and a stalk of celery for lunch and a normal portion of lasagna for dinner).
She also sent me for another Transvaginal Ultrasound, Hormone level check and standard thyroid check (my suggestion as I have a family history of Hypothyroid).

My post op for the D&C was yesterday but she had to cancel so I had a phone consult with her. My Thyroid was normal, Hormone were at almost post menopause and the complex cyst with calcification is 2.2cm. She also mentioned a simple cyst on my left ovary. No fluid (ascites), normal uterus size no additional thickening of the endometrim.
She again said she did not feel that my swollen abdomen, weight gain and symptoms are caused by the cyst. She feels it is all due to being peri-menopause. I said I would ike to have surgery to have both ovaries removed as I have heard that another cyst can form on the other ovary but she has only agreed to removing the ovary with the 2.2 dermoid or complex cyst. I have an appt to discuss and schedule surgery on the 30th of this month.
So now I am doubting myself and my questions are...
Has anyone had a very swollen abdomen with a small cyst?
Has anyone experienced my symptoms from a small cyst?
Has anyone had a continuous weight gain of 20 pounds in 2 1/2 months from a small cyst?
Should I have the cyst removed?
****Did anyone had these symptoms and it all go away and you lost weight after having the cyst removed?****

She said she thinks all my symptoms will go away once I am in total menopause.
And where did my periods go for the last 8 years? Could the cyst have caused absence of periods?
Is it possible that menopause can cause your stomach to bloat out in one day? Am I crazy?
Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to decide what to do before my appt on the 30th.
Thank you!
Tags: weight gain from cyst, look pregnant, dermoid cyst, complex cyst, Menopause, swollen abdomen"
If your CA 125 levels have come out normal then there is nothing much to worry. Simple cysts (those which only contain liquid) are generally benign and may be followed through serial ultrasounds for a period of time. Cysts should be considered for removal if they are associated with pain or an elevated CA125.

A dermoid cyst is a type of complex ovarian cyst and is the most common type and develops during the childbearing age. Complex ovarian cysts are generally benign. The risk of malignancy is generally higher among postmenopausal women but if your CA 125 levels are fine then there is nothing much to worry.

The symptoms that you are having can be due to gastrointestinal causes also like irritable bowel syndrome. Hence get it evaluated.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your response. I don't really have any bowel issues or anything related. No hearburn, nausea or anything like that. I didn't develop any issues or symptoms until my bleed in January. And in the 8 years with no period I had absolutely no symptoms...no weight gain, no hot flashes, no cramping, no breast tenderness, nothing at all! All my symptoms and large belly came with the bleed in January. So the belly came with the bleed and has remained the same size since. It does not vary which leads me to believe it is not just bloating. I will follow up with the doctor on the 3oth of this month but I am really thinking this is all related to my complex or dermoid cyst. Thanks again!
I forgot to say that my symptoms of gas and sluggish bowels went away. Not sure what that was about.
I had a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy(both ovaries and tubes) on May 14th after the Doctor found another cyst on my left ovary. She said the larger cyst was an ovarian fibroma with calcification. I wanted to update because my large belly did go away after surgery so even though the cyst was small, for some reason it caused the belly to bulge out. She said it was most likely caused by hormones. The biopsy was good, no cancer. All my symptoms that I had before surgery are gone...no more hip pain, thigh pain, cramping or anything. My breasts also went down in size since surgery. I feel soooooo much better!