Ovarian Cysts Community
3cm cyst shown on ct scan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

3cm cyst shown on ct scan

Hi,  Im 31 years old and two weeks ago I had a ct scan to check for kidney stones and it showed a 3cm cyst on my right ovary.  I had my left ovary removed four years ago due to recurrent cysts.  I'm very confused and i'm not sure if I should see my obgyn to follow up with a ultrasound.  The ct scan was done in the er and they first told me it was clear.  I asked for a copy of the ct scan results because I was still having a lot of back pain and feeling of fullness and extreme nausea and was very surprise to see that I had a 3 cm cyst in my ovary.  My question is if this is a functional cyst and it ruptures can it cause hemorrage?  This scares me because I have unspecified anemia, my hemoglobin levels and rbc are low with no known reason.  I'm kind of tired of seeing doctors lately and dont want to go and see my obgyn unless is necessary.  In the other hand I dont want to make things worse by ingnoring the cytst.  just kind of surprise how come I wasnt told of the existence of the Cyst.  Any answers or experences will be greatly appreciated.   Thanks.
Avatar n tn
My understanding is you do not need to be concerned at all about a functional cyst.  Hopefully if the cyst were a possible explanation for your symptoms, they would have discussed it with you.  Hope you can get whatever is causing it resolved soon.
Thaks.........I'm kind of keeping my fingers cross that it doesn't become larger and that it dissapears on its own.  i'm goin to try to relax and let it go for a couple of weeks and go from there. The cysts that I had on my left ovary became very painful and wouldn't go away after taking bc pills and depo shots for several months.  They're also functional/fluid filled cysts.  Thank you for the reassurance, I needed that.
god bless.
I agree with jbesmom.  If it would have been concerning, the ER doc would have mentioned it. 3 cm cysts can be normal and go away on their own.  I wouldn't make the trip to your gyn unless you are having unbearable pain.