Ovarian Cysts Community
5 months after ovary removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

5 months after ovary removal

I am 36 years old and had a dermoid cyst removed from my left ovary back in Feb. Over the last few months I have been feeling "not right". I wonder if this is a direct affect of only having 1 ovary - I have not had any major life changes except for the surgey which is why I'm concerned.

1) I have a constant cramp (sometimes really faint) on the left side where my ovary was. At my 2 week follow-up my doc said that cramping would happen, especially when I have my period. I completely understand that, but to have that pain 5 months later and in the middle of my cycle!?

2) I also have gained 10lbs out of no where. I started exercising 2 months ago (bike riding, walking) and eating healthier foods (<1500 calories per day) and yet I have been gaining weight like crazy. I wasn't much of an exerciser before which is why I'm shocked over the weight gain now that I'm way more active.

3) The weight gain is causing me a great deal of stress and I'm starting to feel depressed about it, however with so much happening to my body, I wonder if again, the ovary removal has something to do with it.

4) I've started having a lot of whitish flemy discharge - I'm assuming this is ovulation, but wow, I've never seen this before

5) My sex drive isn't also great - again, not sure if this has to do with the ovary removal or the fact that I have a 4 & 3 year old and work full time.

Could my hormones (estrogen) be out of whack? I am currently taking OrthoCept birth control

Sorry for the long post, but I just don't know what to think. If anyone has any insight on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know if I should schedule an appt. with my gyn or my family practitioner.
I had my Lap surgery on 21 March, 09 and right ovary was removed.
I also gained weight after surgery, now I am trying very hard to reduce weight, already reduced 4.2 lbs but its difficult, I am doing daily 20 mins walk, yoga and taking calories less than 1200.
I am eating lot of blue berries, cucumber, yogurt and green tea.
I also experience faint pain on right side 10-12 days before periods and faint back pain. But its improving.
You might want to ask your doctor to do another ultrasound just to ensure you don't have an ovarian remnant and another cyst going.  Then you will have some peace of mind.  It is most likely that your pain is from adhesions.  On the health pages (top right) there is an article on ball rolling and helping adhesions.  You might find some relief with that.  

The hormones after your surgery (wonky) or the birth control pills could be causing the weight gain.  You might want to join us on the Weight Loss and Dieting forum where some great ideas and support can be find and use the weight tracker and food diary.  Good luck!
It has been four months since my surgery to remove a dermoid cyst on right ovary and also to remove adhesions on left side that formed after a cyst rupture. I am still in chronic pain, mostly on my left side and am feeling 'not right' also.  I know this is not particularly helpful - but just to say that recovery has been slow for me as well and causing me a lot of anxiety, so I empathize with your concern. I'm also curious if others are taking so long to recover.
Skylark3,
I am also on same boat, My right ovary was removed but I feel uneasiness on left side when I am ovulating. Lot of anxiety, crying etc. I am trying eating right kind of food, keep myself busy doing different thing but anxiety is main problem. I am calling my uncles, aunts, cousin who are doctors and always had long list of problem, everyone is suggesting me, it takes time etc.
I will be seeing my GYN end of this month.
Can anyone update how are they are doing now? I had my right overy removed in july. I am a zumba instructor part time on top of my regular day job and I've gained 7lbs since the surgery out of nowhere. I was just getting back into my prebaby clothes when I was rushed to the hospital for overian tortion. I've always been thin and even after my children havn't had to deal with a lot of weight issues. Now I feel like my weight is out of my control and there's nothing I can do about it. My clothes are tight and I'm having to wear my post pregnancy jeans again. Please tell me there's hope that this will stop and the weight can come off!!!