Ovarian Cysts Community
6cm hemorrhagic cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

6cm hemorrhagic cyst

Last April I went to the ER with pain in my ovary. I was given pain meds and got an ultrasound that showed an enlarged ovary. Since then, each month with my period, I experience extreme pain. The pain varies from sharp twisting to constant aching throughout my entire pelvis and hips. It's been getting worse every month and I'm now lucky to get a week per month pain free.

I saw my dr last week and her concern was endometriosis. Was sent for an ultrasound yesterday that showed a 6cm cyst on my ovary. The doctor wants to follow up with another ultrasound in 6-8 weeks.

Is a hemorrhagic cyst that has apparently been there for several months likely to dissolve itself?

What else can I do for the pain?

Is it likely to rupture?

Any thoughts?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
The chances of a 6 cm haemorrhagic cyst dissolving spontaneously are slim. There is a strong possibility of endometriosis. Rupture cannot be predicted. Hence an earlier follow up and if need be surgery may be considered.
Hope this helps.
I am hoping that mine will dissolve also. (4cm cyst on left ovary) Was told to come back on March 12th for a follow up ultrasound. If it's still there, could possible be endo causing the cyst (aka Chocolate cyst). I am hoping however that it is just a functional hemmorhagic cyst. I also have the twisting pinching pain, pelvic pain and even rectal pain off and one for over ten years now (since I got off birth control). I really hope everything turns out ok for you!! Please keep us updated on how things go. Hugs from Ohio
i dont remember the size of mine. only that i have carried it around for a few years and the pain can be excruciating! i have lost my insurance and finally found a dr to help me but she didnt understand anal pain. ? the ob gyn i saw [years ago] told me it was too big to resolve itsself so if u have been dealing with a large cyst its most likely not going to go away on its on. i had a full hysto scheduled [no go due to losing ins] because the dr thought it was also an endometrial prob. i have things about the hem cysts that led me to believe it stems from endometrial problems. am i correct in thinking that?
but i do want to say right quick that bc only helps with shortening periods in my case n not shrinking the cyst.