Ovarian Cysts Expert Forum
A Houdini Dermoid Cyst/Tumor

Welcome to the Ovarian Cysts Forum. This is a place where you can ask your ovarian cyst questions and receive answers from highly trained physicians whose expertise is ovarian cysts. You will also find other members who share your interest in ovarian cysts.

A Houdini Dermoid Cyst/Tumor

Hello to all health professionals. I have been diagnosed with a complex, possibly dermoid ovarian cyst. I am 35 yrs old, generally healthy.  4 months ago, I had an emergency laparoscopy in the ER. The dr. was worried one pf my ovaries was twisted (ovarian torsion). It wasn't. The ct scan and ultrasound indicated there was a mass prior to surgery. She said she didn't see anything.  I was still having pain and followed up with my usual obgyn. She did an ultrasound in her office, revealing the mass was STILL there and had grown (same location that was indicated with the prior ct scan and ultrasound). My question is... is there anyway the Dr. missed it during surgery? Could the multiple ct scans and ultrasounds be wrong? I'm at a loss right now. I don't want to have an unnecessary surgery with this apparent "Houdini Cyst" that I have, but it is painful.
I am so sorry for what you are going through but it does sound like you should go forward with this second surgery.  Not sure what happened during your first surgery but given your pain, the most recent ultrasound showing the cyst is there, I would recommend surgery as well.  Hope that helps.