Ovarian Cysts Community
Any side effects to losing one ovary?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Any side effects to losing one ovary?

Hey everyone just got home from the hospital after having my left ovary and tube removed tuesday.  They had to do open surgery because ovary was stuck in adhesions and stuck to my bowel.  I had an almost 10 cm complex cystic appearing mass completly filling my left ovary.  I was wandering will there be any side effects to losing just one ovary?  I did not get much info from my dr seeing how i was on a morphine drip..lol  I do not go back to him untill wed to get my staples removed.  And i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a couple questions.  Is this normal procedure, the whole time i was in the hospital they kept me on IV fluids untill the day i got discharged, tuedsay after i got to my room i was only allowed ice chips, then wed only water, then thur clear liquids, thur night full liquids, and friday finally regular food, anybody else kept on this kind of diet?  Also still do not know what type of cyst it was, doc says they wont know untill they get the pathology back but his words were that my ovary was as big as a grapefruit maybe a little bigger and real ugly looking.   ?????  And i believe they sent the ovary and all to pathology, is that common?  How long does it take before pathology resaults are in/  Am sore, tired, and kinda freaked any help would be appreciated thanks
It sounds like all standard procedure to me. I am happy you have all that behind you. All that's needed now is a favorable pathology report.

You can live a perfectly normal life with one ovary.  Hormones may be out of whack briefly until the remaining ovary learns to take over.

Rest easy and heal!
I just had my right ovary and tube removed due to a cyst.  I too was not given a whole lot of information as to what to expect now.  I have been very emotional the past couple of days since it happened and I am very tired and sore.  Mine may have been caused by my mirena iud according to my dr.  I am just hoping the test on the ovary and cyst comes back normal.
Sounds similar to my diet it hospital. I stayed 5 days and wasn't given any food until the 4th day which was only soft foods, finally 5th morning I got "real" food. I was given the pathology results while I was still in the hospital, although that seems fast compared to what I keep reading in the forums. I lost my right ovary, right tubes, and appendix along with a 30x25x28 cm mass. I am 6 weeks post op tomorrow and have already had one regular period since laparotomy. I'm crossing my fingers that my other ovary is taking charge! I don't think you'll have any side effects to losing one ovary just maybe some hormonal changes. I am still very emotional since surgery which I'm not sure is normal or not but, I am! You'll feel much better once your staples are out! Wishing you a speedy recovery & great pathology report!
Can you tell I'm new to the site! Just noticed your post is wayyy old! Still hope you're doing well :)
I just happened on this too. I had a total hysterectomy through the vagina and they also went in laproscopically as well. I had my right ovary removed due to having a cyst on it but she didn't say how big it was. My biggest problem right now is that I didn't get any sleep last night because I was on morphine 5mg iv push every 3 hours and I would wake up about 2 hours before I could have my next dose. I had such bad gas pains in my shoulders and around my liver and lower rib areas. I'm starting to feel better from that but only time will tell how it's gonna go. If you find anything that would help any complications from this please let me know....
                                                                                 Kim