Ovarian Cysts Community
Anyone have Post-cyst removal back & leg pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

After complaining for over a year about sciatic pain (lower back,butt & running down both hips & legs) they found a huge dermoid cyst on an MRI consuming my rt ovary. It fell down into a cavity bet my uterus & spine, and we believed, hence, the sciatic pain.  I read some of your comments about sim pains, but my question is: It's been 2 weeks after me getting a laproscopic removal of both ovaries & tubes, and yet I STILL have this aching/throbbing pain down the same path (typ of sciatic pain). Recent Xrays (before even finding the cyst) showed no lumbar/cervical spine problems, so I am baffled. Now the gyn surgeon suggested I get a spine MRI to look closer, as he said it should not still be there (the pain) if it was caused by the huge cyst (10cm).  He wrote off any idea of it being, at this point, 2 weeks after surgery, post-traumatic pain.  Any thoughts? Experience with this? Please share...thanks!
Could it be remaining inflammation from the surgery?  It may take awhile for all the inflamed nerves and tissues to settle down and I don't agree with the Dr. that post-traumatic surgery pain would be over by now.  I wasn't that much improved two weeks after surgery (had a laparotomy, but my "simple" cyst was 10 cm at diagnosis and larger on the day of removal).  Could not sleep on either side for over a month (and I dislike sleeping on my back).  Not saying that you shouldn't get follow up tests, if the doctor recommends it....Just saying that the interior geography of your pelvic region just experienced a big change and it takes time for that change to heal and stop hurting.  More than two weeks, definitely, with that size/type of cyst.  Just my non-medical opinion from someone that just lost a big cyst and both ovaries herself.

I certainly hope the pain goes away for you soon!
Thanks for your kind response. My older sister actually "firmly reminded me" today (I say that with affection) that "hey, you're only out of surgery two weeks ago, and too many people, including Drs, can minimize the aftereffects when it was done laproscopically vs. laparotomy...it's STILL surgery!"  And yes, I do feel like everything inside was "jostled around" and am still achey (achy) inside & out, and although I know I should rest more...hey, I've got 3 small children, so....
You mentioned you already went through menopause, so I guess you don't have to worry about the "crash course in menopause" that I now face at 43.  I thought I was doing OK, until literally while driving to the surgeons for my first follow-up, I had what they told me later, was  my first "anxiety/heart palpatation/hot flash" experience, which frightened the dickens out of me.  I guess I expected a hot flash to just be massive sweating....  Anyways, reading numerous books ("Wisom of Menopause" being one of the them) to educate myself on what is to come, and how to make smart HRT or bioidentical choices.  A lot to think about...if you have any opinions, pls. feel free to share, as I'm obviously a novice at this.
Thanks again!   :)
I'm afraid I won't be helpful regarding the surgical menopause you are experiencing.  I had the natural version and it wasn't all that bad, really.  Loss of the ovaries after menopause made no noticeable difference in how I feel.  I think it even calmed me somewhat.  There is a menopause community here where you might find some others in a similar situation, as well as here on the cyst forum.  Keep researching as you are doing ,and I'll be sending good wishes your way that everything stabilizes for you soon.

And I agree, too many write off laproscopic surgery as "easy".  It's still abdominal surgery, and when parts are removed, it's a big deal.  It often takes more time than advertised for the body to recover internally.  Some things just can't be rushed.
I had full hysterctomy in 2004 at the ripe old age of 45.  I found out I had these in a non-traditional way.  The tech told me that my cyst had grown from the previous year but not too much.  What the heck does that mean and why wasn't I ever told I had them?  I didn't want to get her in trouble because to this day I am grateful to her. After it got sorted out with my doctor and the doctor at the ultrasound place, it ends up my doctor never got any reports about these things. So, after seeing a specialist and thinking cancer; (my mother died of ovarian cancer and my sister has it now) I had a hysterectomy. After the surgery everything had to "adjust" and settle in a new spot, there was some discomfort, but it eventually got better.  I was slammed in to menopause and I thought I could do it "naturally".  After a few months of sweating and no sleep I went with the drugs, but the really cool drugs that I don't have to worry about.  Femring is a product that is inserted vaginally and stays there for 3 months, you pull it out for certain things, if you get my drift.  That same day bam no more hot flashes, mood swings, and I slept like a baby.  No wonder women are b***tches.  Going through menopause, without drugs, we dont' get any sleep.  I hope this helps. It takes time and just be careful with the kids, they can pull on stuff you never knew you had.  Do what the doctor tells you with the extra test, but give yourself time.

Why don't you put a few things on your profiles so we can get to know you better.
Good luck   Lisa
Thanks for responding.  Yeah, I am going to wait a few more days to let my body heal...I think getting the surgery done laparoscopically makes for "clouded" decisions in terms of the time it takes to heal.
I'm seeing my reg gyn for f/u next week (but also want to consider bioidenticals, and will mention your tip about the femring..thanks Lisa!
I had a hysterectomy 6 weeks ago and am still experiencing some lower back pains (I never had them before).  My surgeon said when you have this kind of surgery, the muscles that usually support the back take a little vacation.  I'm taking ibuprofen and using a heating pad.  It helps.

I had laproscopic surgery on Aug. 6. The Dr. removed my left ovary due to a dermoid cyst 1 was 11.7 cm and the other was 3.7 cm.  The larger cyst had ruptered 4 days prior to the surgery which caused a great deal of pain in my back, stomach and legs.  I feel pretty good right now except for the pain in my lower back and legs.  The legs have a dull pain that radiates to my feet.  I was wondering if you still have leg pains.  If not, when did the pain go away?  it's making me a little nervous.  Thank you in advance for your response and I truely hope you are feeling a 100% better.  
Couldn't agree more with Marie Michele.  Could be inflammation.  I am experiencing the same thing.  Two weeks after cystectomy to remove a large cyst 13cm I have horrible back in lower back and hips.  Cannot sleep.
Gynae has prescribed an anti inflammatory.  Going to get those today.  I am confident they are going to help.