Ovarian Cysts Community
Anyone who got pregnant with one ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Anyone who got pregnant with one ovary

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and have found your posts really helpful since I just went through having my left ovary removed 5 weeks ago.  I'm 31 and haven't had any children yet.  My husband and I were actually planning to start trying to get pregnant right when I found out that I had a large complex cyst on my left ovary.  So, now I'm still waiting for my period to come back and hoping that there are others who were able to get pregnant.  Also wondering how long before ppl. started getting regular periods.  I'm trying to remain really optimistic,Thanks!
I just had my right ovary and tube removed and had my first period before I left the hospital!  I'm still waiting to see how it ends up regulating.  I have heard of lots of people getting pregnant with only one ovary.  The remaining one will eventually take over.  I had problems with ectopic pregnancies in my younger years and one of the tubes was blocked with scar tissue after the surgery.  I was still able to get pregnant after a couple of months of trying with the one remaining tube.  Good luck!
Hi Maria, hope you are recovering well from your surgery.  Trudie is right, many, many women have been able to get pregnant with only one ovary.  It may take a few months for your other ovary to take over, but it will eventually happen.  If I were you, I would discuss all of this with your doctor at your six week check up.  Please do not give up hope.  Praying for you.

Hugs,
Kasie
Thanks so much for your information and thoughts.  My doctor did mention this to me at my 2 week check up and I guess, I've just been curious to hear any successful experiences.  I've been having ups and downs with the dealing with some of this stuff emotionally--from fear to sadness and then some days I feel like it will work out.  I'll keep you all updated as things progress.
Hi! I have some great news for you! Yes, you can get pregnant with only one ovary. I have 2 children, 16 and 12 and both were conceived long after I had my right ovary and fallopian tube removed due to cysts and endometreosis.

Your ovaries alternate months for ovulation. When one is missing the other simply picks up the slack and does the work for the missing ovary. I found that after having my right ovary removed my periods became on the dot regular and the pain that I suffered each month faded.

The doctor's all say that after pregnancy the pain associated with your periods may get better and it was a very pleasant suprise for me to find that they were right!

I will give you one small caution to discuss with your doctor, and it is this: Ask him/her what the chances are of you "dropping" 2 eggs at a time when you ovulate w only one ovary. I have been pregnant at 2 other times and both were multiples which I was unable to carry beyond the middle of my 2nd trimester due to fibroids/endometriosis.

I'm sure they won't have a definitive answer, but you may just want to ask about the odds and develop a strategy ahead of time. :) Good Luck and have fun "practicing" when you feel better.

Sorry, just saw this post but just in case you happen to see this....I got pregnant with one ovary at age 38 no less.  I had not used birth control for years, had a miscarraige (miscarriage) in 05 and then nothing.  Having a baby was totally off the radar.  I didn't think it was possible for me before they took the ovary and 6 months after it was removed, ...you guessed it, I was pregnant.  I now have a beautiful baby who was a total surprise but a great one at that!  Good luck.  Everyone teases me that removing one of the ovaries must have kicked the other one into gear! Good luck and baby dust to you!!
thank you for these wonderful stories you shared. i had my right ovary removed more than ten years ago. i was onli 21 years old then. im getting married next year and this is worrying me a lot since my husband to be is so anxious about getting me pregnant soon after the wedding and start a family right away.
I found out I was pregnant in August. Then went to my first doctors app all they seen was a sac no fetal pole. Had a D&C in October . But while I was pregnant they found a 10 cm cyst on my right ovary. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and he had to remove my right fallopian tube but left the ovary. I was just wondering how long we should wait until we can start trying again? Thanks
Hi, I am in a similar situation to you and some of the other ladies who have posted.  I had an early pregnancy miscarrage (miscarriage) which luckily lead to the discovery of a 10cm cyst on my left ovary.  I am booked in to have it removed in just over two months.  I am 33 and like you are wondering if I can still get pregant after the surgery.  My husband and I don't have any children yet either.  There seem to be lots of positive stories out there.  Hopefully we will be one of them soon.  Good luck.

Ellie
has anyone heard of a case that a woman could get pregnant while having an ovarian cyst
Yes, it is definately possible to get pregnant with only one ovary. I ended up having to have my left ovary removed when I was 20 years old.  When I was 28 I got pregnant (after only trying for one month) and had my son, then when I was 32 I got pregnant again (after trying for 6 months) and had my daughter. Now here I am 38 and just found out I am pregnant again......I never would have thought it would still be possible for me to get pregnant after almost 20 years of having only one ovary....but here I am pregnant for the third time :-) !!!!!!! Don't worry ladies it can happen for you too. I also know someone who had three children after she only had a 1/2 of one ovary left!!!!  Its possible....don't lose hope!!!!
Yes...I can confirm that it is possible to get pregnant whilst having an ovarian cyst.  I was diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst last year, however, then found five days later that I was pregnant. So not only did I have to contend with having the cyst removed as there was no room for the baby to grow, but also recover from the operation with the fear that I had gone through all of this to then miscarry.

I can confirm that I didn't miscarry and had a healthy baby boy in January 2010.  Please don't lose faith in your bodies as they really are very surprising in terms of what they can overcome.  

Also, due to having an ovary removed, I was concerned about my chances of conceiving again, however, my GP has put me at ease. She suggested going back onto the pill to control my ovulation and this has put me at ease.

My mother had only one ovary.  I am living proof that it happens.  Good luck to you!
I'm so glad i found this forum! I'm 24 years old. I had a 7cm complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary in March 09 which was removed in Sept 09 by keyhole, but by then it had grown to the size of a small watermelon! The surgeon didn't want to touch my ovary so just cut out what she could. Then May this year, I missed a period and went for a scan in July to check all was ok, and yep u guessed it, the cyst had returned - 6.2x3.6x4.8cm. I went to a different gynaecologist who referred me for a internal scan, and the sonographer advised he's pretty sure its benign but my right ovary will need to be removed. I'm gutted because my partner and i have been waiting for the 'right' time to conceive and now its here, I cant believe this is happening :(
It's made me a whole lot more optimistic reading ur stories :) I now need to wait for my appt with the gynae to confirm what's next.
My left ovary stopped functioning when I was 16 and the ovary and tube were removed when I was 27.  I got pregnant the first cycle i tried at age 31.  Second child 18 months later with 2 months trying.  Third child at age 39 (was a beloved accident!).  I did begin menapause almost immediately after third child.
After reading all of the comments posted here, I must say I am feeling relieved. I had my right ovary removed 8 days ago and have been a little concerned. My husband and I have been "leaving it to chance" for the last 5 years or so and I have never gotten pregnant. I am 36 and we are planning on getting to it, so to speak, as soon as I am healed.
Hi everyone,
I just recently found out that I will have to have an ovarian cyst on my left ovary removed by laparoscopy.  I'm 29 years old, no kids yet, otherwise in good health.  I found out a year ago I had the cyst, and since it has grown to the point now where it needs to be removed.  My gyn described it as most likely a blood-filled endometrioma; 6cm in size.  They are going to try to remove it, or drain it, as I understood.  Also, they may need to remove the ovary, which I'm worried about.  Does anyone have any ideas of how often the ovary needs to be removed in the case of these kinds of cyts. If you can share you personal experiences it would really help as i'm obviously nervous.  Thanks so much :)
I am 33 yrs old and am having surgery to remove the 4 cysts i have . i am just curious , my husband and i have been trying for 3 yrs to concieve (conceive). is it possible after having this surgery i can maybe concieve (conceive)? can cysts in your ovary really prevent pregnancy?
Hi im 21 and had my right ovary removed last year due to a 12cm cyst. Since then my partner and i have been trying to concieve (conceive). I had a m/c in november and another one just last week. I was wondering if scar tissue from my op was affecting my chances of getting pregnant?
in 09, I had a cyst on my ovary that caused my ovary to enlarge and I had to have it taken out. Now my doctor thinks my only ovary has a cyst on it. I'm scared that this is happening all over again. I haven't tried to conceive but I want to be sure that when I do its possible. Any one else has this issue?
Hi Everyone,
  I had type of ovarian cancer when I was 19 and had to have my left ovary removed.  After all my chemo and surgery was finished (about a year later) my doctor gave me the clear and I was then able to try and get pregnant.  I DID!  I had my daughter when I was 21 and then I got pregnant again and my son was born 22 months later.  My husband and I felt so blessed.
We are now trying to have another baby, but now I am 30 almost 31 and I haven't had any pregnancies since my son was born 7 years ago.  We are just staying positive and hoping for the best.  I definitely know that anyone who is missing an ovary can still get pregnant!  Just keep trying and be patient and stay in a positive mind frame.  Adding stress to the mix is just not helpful at all!  :)  Good Luck Everyone