Ovarian Cysts Community
Benign Ovarian Cyst and Hip/Groin Pain?????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I have been dealing with abdomen pain (which at times can be quite severe), lower back pain, right hip pain (in the groin/joint area), fatigue, weight gain, constipation, and pain when having a bowel movement.  I was referred to a GI specialist who ordered a CT of the abdomen and pelvis.  The only thing that came back was a "4.9 cm well defined, thin walled cystic lesion at midline in posterior culdesac?...possible GI duplication cyst?....unclear....endemetrioma is not excluded....otherwise negative."  Sorry for not having the exact terminology.  I wrote down as much as I could as they were reading the results to me.  The GI specialist referred me to my OB/GYN, who is currently out on vacation for two weeks!  I assume it's a normal cyst, nothing to worry about???

I am a 34 year old, mother of 3, no history of ovarian cancer in the family...a few things bother me though.  The hip pain started about 6 months ago.  I have also had constipation, pain during bm's, unexplained weight gain in abdomen area, a heavy pressure/bloated feeling, and NOT pain during intercourse, but pressure in my abdomen that makes me feel as though I need to have a bm.

To be completely honest, I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis recently and am taking Methotrexate (weekly), anti-inflammatories, prevacid and folic acid (daily).  I associated the hip pain with that, even though my rheumy x-rayed the joint and found nothing.  However, I am concerned with the cyst and symptoms, and since my OB/GYN is not available to calm those fears, my thoughts are racing.  Should I be concerned?  
You are taking me back to where I was 2 months ago before my cyst surgery.  Yes, a cyst can cause all those symptoms.  My initial thoughts were that I had ovarian cancer and totally understand your fears but as you learn from this forum you will relax but the waiting is oh so painful.  Over 95% of all cysts are benign and that rate rises if you are pre-menopausal.  On the health pages (top right of site) there is some great info around cysts.  I think you'll find them helpful.  Do feel free to come here for support or any questions as you wait for your ob/gyn.  Good luck and keep us posted.
I had all those same symptoms....US showed a small cyst and a uterine fibroid....
I am now 7 weeks post-op laparoscopy....the fibroid was removed and the cyst turned out to be remnants of a cyst with lots of adhesions....the adhesions were lysed...and now all my symptoms had gone away and am feeling normal again...everything benign of course.... the fibroid was serosal, which meant that it was sticking out of the uterus on the backside, definitely a cause for the abd bloating.....and yes, its easy to have your mind go in all directions until you have a definitive answer......keep thinking positve thoughts... and good luck!
thanks for the words of encouragement.  i am SURE it's nothing.  my cyst was picked up on a CTscan and not an ultrasound.  i would think CTscans would show more detail and since mine didn't say too much, i think i'm in the clear.  just waiting to hear that from the doctor is killing me!

thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

aggie1996
Sounds like all the symptoms of an ovarian cyst to me!  The cyst could be resting on a nerve causing all of your hip pain.  Mine would be so bad, I would have trouble getting out of my chair!  It would take a bit to straighten back up!  Although 99% of cysts are benign, the only true dx is pathology.  Remember, Pain is not an option.  Keep on your dr. until this is resolved.  Keep up posted!
~Tascha