Ovarian Cysts Community
Bilateral Complex Cyst | Advice Needed
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bilateral Complex Cyst | Advice Needed

I am 32 years old with out children and I am seeking educated advice/wisdom, please read my issue/story below:

I was suffering from painful cycles for over a year with severe bloating, etc. Suddenly I was experiencing severe, acute lower abdominal pain for about 2 months, I was given a transvaginal ultrasound that read found the following:

- Bilateral complex cystic adnexal masses                  
- Right mass, multilocular (6.0 x 3.5 x 3.2 cm)
- Left mass, unilocular (6.0 x 4.8 x 5.5 cm)                
- Cyst fluid is homogeneneously echogenic bilaterally
- No internal blood flow is identifiable in either mass    
- Bilateral adnexal masses are nonspecific with endometriomas most likely

My current gynocologist has suggested that we try the "wait and see" approach. I have been placed on the BCP Apri (ethinyl estradiol/desogestrel) for the past 3 months and instructed to take only the active pills/skipping the inactive, this way I will not have a menstrual cycle to aid in alleviating the pain. So far, the pain has subsided, I am no longer experiencing pain at a 10 but more so on a 1. There is still some subtle pain, as if there is some sort of friction on my insides, as if my insides are rubbing together (sorry, that's the only way that I can explain the pain) and some sudden dull pains. This is bearable but worsens at night when I lie down. I recently had my 3-month check up and told my gyno of my concerns with the BCP, the side effects are a bit much for me (spotting, depression/irritability, strange discharge, constantly tired, etc) and was switched to the Nuvaring (I have not begun to use this form of BC yet). A sonogram was supposed to have been performed on the 21st, which was the initial plan, but was told to wait 6 more months while we "test out" the Nuvaring to receive a sonogram.

I do not intend to go back to my current gyno, I'd like to seek out a second opinion. I can not get a clear answer on why we are waiting almost a year to see whether the cyst has shrunk, grown, or stabilized, besides the fact that she would like to preserve my ovaries for childbirth. I have never had surgery and do understand that the only way to diagnose, and in many instances, treat the cyst you will need to have surgery. When I place into perspective that the ovary is about the size of an almond and 6 cm is roughly the size of a tangerine, it is a bit scary to have such a growth on or within your ovary or your body for that matter. After all, I have a lot at stake here, I could potentially lose an ovary or two or other organs necessary for conception or childbirth.

I am usually healthy, besides a slight cold from time to time, and have never had surgery but deep down I feel as if this will eventually become my only chance of really treating the cyst (although I don't know whether the cyst has shrunk or grown. I am thinking it has not b/c I still feel like I can feel some form of friction within) but definitely want to preserve my reproductive organs (if at all possible).

I wanted to know the following:

1) Are there other women on this site that have the same story as myself and how are you coping?
2) Are there other women on this site that have gone through the same/similar situation and was able to conceive (after surgical removal of one or more cyst)?
3) Should I wait 9 months to see whether a cyst has grown, shrunk or never have changed? It seems as if we are prolonging something instead of actually treating the problem.

If so, I'd like to hear your stories and/or educated advice/wisdom (please reply back with age/size of cyst/s so that I can get a better generalization of the outcome).

Thank you!
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
If you want to keep your ovarys its a sound plan.

I started with a 4cm cyst and was put on bc for 1 month and then had a us at the hospital.  That showed it grew to 20 cm.  I wish I had more options then just surgery.

At the time of my surgery 3 weeks ago my cyst was over 30 cm.  I lost my ovary and tube on the left side.

It still tool 3months for the whole process though.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Thanks for your comment and advice. I am now in search of a second opinion. I don't think waiting a year will increase my chances for anything. I still have some dull pain and can feel a slight bulge while laying down from time to time which I have never felt before. I am assuming that they have grown.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cysts Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...
Mar 26 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
1344197_tn?1392822771
Blank
Vaginal vs. Laparoscopic Hysterecto...
Feb 19 by J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
Top Women's Health Answerers
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
aisha910
dayton, OH