Ovarian Cysts Community
CA-125 Normal levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

CA-125 Normal levels

What is normal range for CA-125 ?
It is my understanding that under 35 is "normal."  I have heard, however, of lower numbers  for post menopausal women.. This is a very "tricky" question inasmuch as the CA-125 blood test given for possible Ovarian Cancer is not a reliable test as a screening tool in the absence of other symptoms in pre menopausal women.

Some ladies with OvCa never had high CA-125 results and conversely, there are a lot of ladies with high CA-125 results that do not have cancer. That is because a great number of other things can elevate the CA-125 such as infections, endometriosis and a host of others..

We'd be better able to assist you if we had a bit more information such as your age, and any problems you may be having.

Sandy
There have historically been two blood tests used for determining CA-125 levels.  Each test had its own range of result interpretation.  

I am told that one test is now preferred over the over.  I believe the ranges for this test are 0-35 Normal, 36-99 High Normal (requires more testing), and  100+ Possible Cancer.

However, you will need to know which test you had in order to interpret your level.  And,   if  you have a copy of your testing results, then the correct range table for that particular test should be provided on the test result sheet.    Look on the bottom of the page, if you have it.  

That's interesting. I've not heard of two types, although I have heard of two interpretations for post and premenopausal women with 20 in postmenopausal as the "cut off".which seems low, but I've not asked my Dr. or the lab. This is only something I've heard here and there. When I had mine (postmenopausal) I was told that -35 is "normal" .. That too though is misleading since I know from the OvCA forum that there are ladies with ovca that never had a "high" number.. and there are low numbers that have had Ovca.. and I mean really , really low.. well below the 20 even. So , as I said, it's a tricky test at best..
.