Ovarian Cysts Community
CT Scan VS Ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

CT Scan VS Ultrasound

Can anyone tell me if a CT scan is any better than an ultrasound for detecting problems of the ovaries.  I had a CT Scan of the abdomen due to pain under my right ribs looking for any abnormalities with my gall bladder or anything else.  My CT scan showed an enlarged right ovary.  Can a CT Scan show more than just an enlarged ovary, such as showing cysts or other masses?  And if so, can it determine whether it is solid or liquid?  My doctor wants to send me in for an ultrasound too and I am wondering whether it can show anything that might help determine a problem that the CT Scan can't.

I appreciate any answers.    
When I went to the doc they discovered cysts on my ovaries. They did a CT-scan and a transvaginal ultrasound. Is that the type of ultrasound they want to do? When dealing with pelvic situations I think the transvaginal US is better. The CT- scan, I believe, was to be sure it wasn't anything other than in the pelvic region.
I can't say from my own experience which might be better. However I will say this; when I had the Transvaginal Ultrasound, they though it was solid. It was quite small, but being postmenopausal, they were a little more conservative. In any case.. turned out to be simple cyst.. I have heard others on the forum though being sent for both. I'm sure you'll hear from someone with experience of having both.. I had only the TVUS...

If it is determined to be a cyst, don't forget that they are very,very common!
Let us know,
Sandy

I go in for a transabdominal pelvic ultrasound on October 9.  I am told that I have to have a full bladder.  What fun!  HA!!  Now I am wondering which is better, a transvaginal ultrasound or the transabdominal ultrasound for a pelvic ultrasound.  Do you know which is the best of the two?  

maggimay
Well, again I only had the Transvaginal . But it depends I think on what they are looking for. In my case, they were primarily looking at the ovaries for cysts because of pain, etc. What is your Dr's opinion?  Meant to ask-- are you seeing a Gynecologist?

I can say though that most of the ladies have had the Transvaginal rather than the abdominal.. but maybe someone will post with another opinion.

Good luck the 9th... That's only the day after tomorrow !!!
Sandy
I have not seen a Gynecologist.  Depending what my ultrasound shows I may find one.  To make a long story short the enlarged ovary was found by the CT scan while looking for problems with the gallbladder.  I think I might have mentioned that before so please forgive me if I am repeating myself.  Today I picked up a copy of my CT Scan report.  The ovary measures 5.3 x 3.4 x 2.5.  I am so bloated and uncomfortable and can't eat much without feeling absolutely stuffed so I am afraid of it being cancer instead of just a plain cyst.  This bloating has been going on for at least a couple of months.  I am almost 44 and haven't had a period in 10 and a half months.  Just figured I was going into early menopause.  Am nervous about the whole thing.  I just want to find answers to why I feel so lousy.  

Thanks for caring!!  
    Just occured to me that tomorrow is the 9th !! So ...good luck and I know you'll feel better once you have the US.. Just remember that 95 %  of all cysts are benign. And, maybe you can get a referral  for a Gyn.. It's just that as specialists, they are more current in problems such as yours .. have more training , etc.
   Please try not to worry and let us know how the US goes...
Take care,
Sandy