Ovarian Cysts Community
Can a small cyst cause this much pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Can a small cyst cause this much pain?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2.2cm cyst on my left ovary that was diagnosed a few weeks ago.  The Dr. wants me to do another u/s at the end of Sept. to see if it changes.  But, the pain is unbearable.  It is not every day - however, I can feel discomfort in my lower left abdomen every day.  But, for 2 weeks out of the month - during ovulation and menses - the pain is off the charts - as in today.  Not only pain in lower abdomen - also pain that shoots down my upper thighs along with nausea and lower back pain.  The Dr. gave me a pain prescrip. but that makes me feel even worse.  My question is - can such a small cyst cause all of this debilitating pain???
After doing some digging, I am starting to learn about Post-ablation tubal sterilization syndrome.  Has anyone else heard of this or been diagnosed?  I had an endometrial ablation (rollerball technique) and tubal ligation in 2005.  I can't find alot of information on this syndrome - but, from what I have read - my symptoms are spot on.  
Your post sparked me to search this syndrome.  It does appear that there are many with severe pain.  Some doctors seem to accept this as a valid diagnosis and others do not.  The following journal abstract seems to validate that it is a real condition:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9050670

I think that seems like a likely suspect of your intense pain.  Best wishes on finding a good doctor who can help you feel better!
Thank you so much for your response and for posting the link - very helpful.  Spoke to my Dr.'s office yesterday - he agrees that the intense pain is probably not the small cyst.  As well, it is unlikely gastrointestinal becasue of the cyclical nature.  So, I am scheduled for a laparoscopy on Sept. 9th.  Hopefully, they will figure this out soon !!
Good luck for your laparoscopy on the 9th.
I just had one, and a hysteropscopy 3 days ago. I am waiting to hear about all of it on Wednesday when I have my follow up appointment (a long wait). I had a cyst about your size, and have been suffering alot of lower abdominal pain, into my groin, and down my leg for too long.
What the GYNO did tell me when he came around to see me after I woke up, is that he found nothing that he thinks would be the cause of my pain. I'm not even sure if the cyst was still there at the time of op. I am very frustrated and somewhat disappointed to hear this, as I want an answer to my problems..
So, good luck again, I hope you get some answers.