Ovarian Cysts Community
Can you relate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Can you relate?

Hi there,

I'm just curious to learn if anyone can relate to what I've been experiencing, if so, have you had a diagnosis? For approximately 6 months, I have had left hip pain that began only when I walked for a lengthy amount of time; that pain would only reach a level of around a 3 to a 5. It gradually grew into constant hip pain that now seems to radiate throughout my leg; left lower abdomen, and left buttock; even while sitting. The hip pain is now hovering between a 7 and a 10 on a daily basis. I also feel pain when pressing on my lower left abdomen, and pain during intercourse.

I also have recently developed new symptoms that just seem odd to me. Every evening for the last month; while I am relaxing, I get fever-like aches that come and go (no fever that I know of); they usually only last from a few minutes to an hour or longer. In addition, I just started taking medicine for acid reflux, when, I've never had that issue before in my life. I am a vegetarian, and used to exercise regularly, but that is pretty much non-existent now due to the pain. I've gained weight, but I'm confident the lack of exercise is the reason. I also have pressure in the rectum, usually just before, and in the beginning days of my MP.

I have been to my GP, and she sent me for a CT Scan of my hip and back..which was normal. She also sent me for an MRI of my intestines, and that was normal too. I gave up, and started to think I was going loopy, but I honestly.. I don't like trying to ignore pain this bad. Having an MRI and CT Scan that are normal, just make me feel crazy for feeling pain with no evidence for a diagnosis. I have had fibroid's and Ovarian cysts, but never with these same symptoms.

I am not looking for a diagnosis here; just wondering if anyone is going through the same thing so I can find a direction to look in. Can you relate?

Additional info..

* I am 37 with two children, and one miscarriage in my 20's.
* My gallbladder was removed in my 20's.
* I had a fibroid removed about 2 years ago.
* I had a cyst on my ovary that burst when I was 27.
* On no medication for anything.
I've had hip pain on and off since my early twenties.  I take karate and fell while sparring one night.  That injury started off very similar to what you described above.  It was only a 3 or 4 and only if I seemed to over exurt myself.  Within a month or two I could barely walk.  I saw a chiropracter 2-3 times a week for months (and it wasn't cheep!) but the pain stopped.  Every now and then, it'll come back - though not as bad - and I'll need some adjustments.  I've also found if I treat it at the onset with a heating pad and some Advil or Aleve, that helps as well.  So does sleeping with a pillow between my knees.

My pain never traveled to my abdomin (abdomen) though.  It started at my lower back/top of my butt and traveled down the outside of my leg to my knee and even ancle sometimes.  Your pain may just be manefesting differently given your history of cysts and fiberoids.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!!

Hiya, ive had a pulling feeling in my hip, that radiates to my lower right pelvis and back which causes an ache, a bit like period pain without the period, I'm also very bloated, Ive had this for a while now but have finally plucked up the courage to go to Drs on Thursday, I'm dreading it as I always think the worst: ( I think I have a ovarian cyst, lete know how you get on. X
Hi Heather,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I played sports when I was younger, but cannot recall any injuries (other than shin splints). At first, I assumed it was arthritis, but that was ruled out. The only thing I haven't been checked for are female issues..hopefully it's something that can be fixed quick so I can start moving again. I think I will try a heating pad like you. The pain can get pretty intense.

Yours sounds like the sciatic nerve. Have you been to a doctor?
Hi Lisa,

I appreciate your response to my post. Seems like we're experiencing similar pain. I don't know why, but my doctor's haven't considered a relationship between the hip and female parts. In fact, when I called for a gynecology appointment, I was told to see an Orthopedic Surgeon. If I hadn't of done some searching, I wouldn't even think of female issues with these symptoms..and it still may not be.

I'll let you know what I find out, please do the same. I'm very interested in hearing what you hear back from your doctor's.
When I asked if you have seen a doctor, I meant for testing (CT Scans etc.). I wanted to clarify that I did pay attention when you said you went to a chiropractor..lol.
I only saw my chiropractor for that injury.  I was young and uninsured, so I was afraid to go to a regular doctor.  The chiropractor was a friend.

Yes it was sciatic pain.  It got it again when I was pregnant with my son.  I was afraid to use heating pads and couldn't take Advil, so I got by with just Tylenol and a pillow between my knees.  I also saw a massage therapis every other week and that helped tramendously!

It sounds like your situation may be a bit different, but perhaps some of the treatments I used might help you - at least until they figure out the root cause.  Good luck!
Just letting anyone that may be curious know what I've found out so far. I have a severely tilted uterus that is pressing on the nerves affecting my hip. The doctor has adjusted it once before, but now he wants to remove it. As for my other symptoms..they're unrelated, and I'm looking into them as well. Thanks for your replies and well wishes.
Hi Lisajayne,

Have you found anything out yet? Mine turned out to be a retroverted uterus pressing on the nerves in my hip area. I'm curious to see if you're doing okay? Hope to hear back from you.
ok around 18mths ago aged 49 my health took a nose dive all sorts of weird stuff started happening to me joint pains in my ankles which got progressively worse became so bad particularly first thing on  getting out of bed  , also suffered bloating and just general stomach pains, dreadful fatigue , and rapid weight gain from 11st to around 13st 7lb in like 6mths visited doc in aug 2011 who more or less told be after weighing me and calculating my bmi that i was obese and if i lost weight and improved my diet  my ankle pain would improve i left feelin deflated knowing that something more was going on id been trying desperatley to lose weight for months  to no avail carried on for another 4mths went back saw another doctor who ordered blood tests for all manner of things all came back clear but ihad terrible bloating by this time so much pain in my tum ridiculous so he then suggested i may have ibs or some digestive disorder  so played around with diet for a few mths was also just post menopause around the time everything started going squiffy so was,nt sure if that had a part to play in any of this anyway by may of this year id had enough at my wits end and having gained even more weight now weighing 15st without trying and feeling depressed and completley crazy  i returned to see yet another doc i chose to see a female doc this time round  i booked a double appointment and sat and went through everything with her telling her i was  desperate she was brilliant re ran bloods put me on hrt  but also sent me for a scan to rule out gall stones but also had them check my ovaries and guess what bang ovarian cyst 4.8cm  to cut long story short everythin went rather quickley since may saw gyno had a internal scan and bloods ca 125  ( cancer )which came back with a reading of 20 which was ok they like it under 35, but because im post menopause they felt would be wise to eradicate all risks of me developing ovarian cancer in the future seeing as the risk is greater after menopause , so 2wks ago i had a ( bilateral salpingo oophorectomy ) removal of both ovaries and fallopian tubes ,well i must say only 2 wks n still healing but feeling way better in all respects everything i had wrong before seems way better even the pain in my ankles is all but a distant memory haha i have no clue how the cyst could have caused that but its strange that its gone now after being in so much pain for so long  , anywya i hope that some of this may help any other confused and desperate ladies out there who think they,re going crazy , Good luck !