Ovarian Cysts Community
Cervical Cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Cervical Cysts

3890314?1232330690
I am a 41 year old married woman. I went to the ER after having massive bleeding, changing once every 40 minutes. I advised the DR of the pain during intercourse and usually bleeding from pink to enough to have to have tampon or pad on for the night. When he did the exam he asked if I had a Pap smear recently. I advised yes about 4-6 months ago. He then asked if the Dr saw anything, I said no. He asked if the Pap came back normal, I said no. He was shocked at both of my answers. The look on his face and tone in his voice when he saw the cysts scared me. He also asked if I was a smoker which I am but have cut way back trying hard to quit. They took a pregnancy test since I was a week early which was negative and took a Pap test. Both he and his supervising Dr advised me to make an appt immediately with my GYN. I told them I would. He also stated he wish he had a camera to take a picture of what he saw, and even sketched them on a piece of paper. That was odd. Then I was released with out any other information other than I have cysts and I must make an appt right away. My discharge paper stated for follow up care: it is critical that I make an appointment with my GYN immediately. Dont wait. If I can not make an appointment timely I am to call the ER back right away.
  What does that mean? Should I be worried? This just happened Friday and my Dr closed at noon so I can see them until sometime tomorrow.

Concerned in West Virginia.......

You will worry and you will be concerned. It will seem as though Monday will never get here. Then the doc may not tell you anything, but send you for more tests, but he may have good news. You may be easily cured, or you may be like many of us and go through chemo. I am  trying to say, you are going through a bad time, but more than likely you will get better and have a long, happy life. God Bless, Texas Grannie
I am so sorry that they have scared you so much.  I am not sure why they did not give you any more information.  Did they do an ultrasound?  I would make sure to call your dr. tomorrow and tell them that the ER doctor wants you seen immediatley.  You can also have him call the Dr. at the ER so he can talk to him about what he is thinking.  Keep in mind that 95% of ovarian cysts are begine (sp).  You could also post this question over on the ovarin cyst forum and you may get more responses.  Please let us knwo what you find out tomorrow. I will be praying for you.  Kasie
I went to my Doctor today. He said they are benign cysts but I have many of them. He did lab work today and has scheduled an ultrasound in two weeks. From there we are going to do the Leep procedure and D&C. He doesn't feel this is anything to worry about and thinks the bleeding after intercourse is caused by the cysts. If he see's anything while performing the leep and d&c at the same time he will take care of it at that time. I am feeling much better now. He was surprized they didn't do any lab work, check my iron levels or do an ultrasound either.
  Thank you all for your quick response. Keep me in your prayers that all is well....

I am just curious how your doc knows they are benign?   If those cysts are normal, why does he think they are the cause of bleeding after intercourse?  You need to have a gyn/oncologist either perform your surgery or be on call just in case.....your gyn is not the one with the greatest amount of training when it comes to gyn surgeries if debulking is necessary.   Your best bet would be consulting with a gyn/oncologist prior to surgery...your gyn should be okay making a reference for you.  You need to advocate for yourself.....YOU HAVE ONLY ONE CHANCE TO GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME......see a gyn/oncologist.
Please do keep us posted.
Peace.
dian
If I'm not mistaken we're talking about Cervical Cysts correct? Perhaps you would get more information from the Women's Health Forum. . This forum is for Ovarian Cancer .. I read your post over thinking I had missed something.. But seems your problems do not involve the ovaries right? We're talking about the Cervix correct? Keep thinking I'm missing something..

Hope you feel better...
Hi again,
     Just wanted to mention that even benign cysts can cause bleeding and painful intercourse. Do you remember if he mentioned the word "Nabothian " to you ? That's what they are sometimes called and most of the time they are benign.. But you shouldn't take chances either..

Let us know,
Sandy
I have to agree with some of the ladies that answered your question. You should do a follow-up with a GYN/Oncologist, just in case. You should never take any chances. I too had bleeding problems and pain caused from cysts and I had a hysterectomy in Feb.08 due to the bleeding and pain problems - the cysts were benign. I hope you will take these ladies advice and have a gyn/oncologist do the rest for you.
Hi again,
    When we see "cysts" on these posts, I think we automatically think "Ovarian Cysts." The reason I suggested you post on the Women's Health Forum is that your heading is for Cervical Cysts. We're happy to help you if we can, but since your problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with ovaries, there might be ladies on the "Womens Health Forum" that may have more experience for you.
   A Gyn/Onc. may still be the answer for you.. although I sincerely hope it is something that can be resolved quickly and easily. If I misunderstood your post, I'm sorry. But.I believe you're speaking of "Cervical Cysts", correct?? That would, of course , deal with the cervix and not the ovaries..
    Good luck and hopefully it's nothing to be worried about,
Sandy....