Ovarian Cysts Community
Chronic Ovarian Cysts/Feeling Defeated

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Chronic Ovarian Cysts/Feeling Defeated

For the past 5 months I have had multiple functional cysts with one removal of a grapefruit sized cyst. They have been extremely painful for me. I am currently battling extreme pelvic pain as I type this. It's the same thing month after month. Constant pain with about a weeks break. A couple years ago I had the Mirena put in because I was having ovarian cysts. This helped until 5 months ago. Now they are back with a vengeance. I had the Mirena removed a couple of weeks ago so I could try other bc options.
I am wondering if anyone else gets cysts back to back like this? I feel as though I am losing my mind being in this constant pain. I am a healthy 29 year old with one child. I am seriously considering having my right ovary removed as this is the one that causes me the most pain.
When I had a cyst removed the Dr said that I have multiple adhesions all over. I'm assuming that is from having cysts rupture?
Can anyone help me get some answers? I am wondering if anyone else gets cysts back to back like this? Also if I could hear from some of you what you did to treat? (ovary removal, bc, etc..)
Your help would me so much. Thank you.
It is common to have adhesions from ruptured cysts.  Have you tried taking birth control pills?  They seem to really help some women, unfortunately I was not one of them.  Women have cysts every month and they usually resolve on their own.  It sounds like you have very active ovaries.  I had back to back cysts plenty of times.  Finally I had my ovary removed and got some relief for a bit of time.  What does your doctor have to say about all of this?  I do hope that they come up with something because you should not have to live in pain like this.  Do you plan on having more children?  Do you get cysts on both ovaries or just on one ovary?  Is it possible for you to see a gynecologist/oncologist (not that i think you have cancer) because they have more experience and they deal with issues like this on a daily basis.  Best of luck to you.  Hope you stick around and keep us informed on how you are doing.
I have  the same type of problem - had laparoscopy to remove cysts on both ovaries and they grew back within a month of surgery to the same size (one was 5 cm). Ended up taking right ovary out because of pain, together with that same 5 cm cyst that got attached to my uterus. I have to admit that I am still in pain after surgery and it has been more than 3 weeks since.
I had no issues with cysts while I was on sesonelle pills. I had to stop them because they made my fibroids grow. Adhesions could be from raptured cycts and endometriosis as well.
Thank you for your responses, it means a lot. To answer some questions. My Doctor seems perplexed as what to do next. This is the 3rd Doctor I have seen through out the years. She is a gynecologist. I do not plan on having any more children. I do get cysts on both ovaries but the left ovary rarely bothers me. It's always pain on my right side. I did try birth control pills (yaz) a couple of years ago. Did not work. I am waiting to get birth control pills right now  but part of me is just so sick of trying others things with nothing working. I just want to have my ovary removed. But I do worry that it is a bit extreme. I just do not want to be in this pain any more. I have pain medication but I do hate to take it. I do take it on those days that it just hurts to even move.
I will be calling my Doctor today. Hopefully I can get some more answers. I think I should also do some more research on other options of Doctors. Thank you again for responding.
Taking one ovary out is not extreme if you are in pain all the time. I had the same issue and was trying everything to avoid surgery. Then I said to myself - you have tried everything and nothing worked, time to take ovary out.
Good point. =)
Thank you for your suggestion to go see a gyno/oncologist. My Nurse has sent in a referral for me to see one at the Mayo Clinic. (I live near by) I will keep you posted as to what I find out.
Did you go already?  Are you still in pain? Let us know how is it going.