Ovarian Cysts Community
Complex Ovarian Cyst (5cm)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Complex Ovarian Cyst (5cm)

Hi, everyone.

I'm fairly certain that I'm worrying over nothing, but I've seen a lot of sense in this forum, so hoped that someone could spare some for me! I'm 30 years old and have recently been diagnosed with a complex ovarian cyst measuring 5cm. This followed an ultrasound done in early Dec to determine the cause of excruciating pain I've been having on my right side. At that time, the cyst measured 3.2cm & was found to be complex, and my scan this week has shown that it's grown to 5cm in a little over a month.

I've read lots of information on this & can see that this is clearly not a big cyst in the grand scheme of things, but I've been in complete agony & hospitalised three times since October because of it. For awhile they were treating me for appendicitis, but then the scan revealed the cyst. My blood tests were poor (although I don't think that the 125 test was done, to my knowledge) & I was fasted whilst on IV antibiotics. For several days after each episode, I can't stand up straight.

What's worrying me is the lack of urgency. I understand this is very likely NOT cancer given my age, but to wait until the 26th Jan to see my consultant seems a long time considering I've been experiencing this since October - isn't it?

It's put a bit of a hold on my life. The pain strikes without warning, so I'm a little uneasy about being alone or travelling far from home, in case I'm hit by the pain again. To date it doesn't *seem* to be connected to my cycle, as it's occurred in 6, 4 and 3 wk intervals.

Can anyone offer any insight or guidance about this? Thanks!
p.s. I've read that 20% of complex ovarian cysts in pre-menopausal women are cancerous, but this seems very high to me. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Hi there!  I'm 47, was not in menopause before surgery.  I had a 4+ cm complex cyst on my right ovary.  Oddly, I didn't have pain on that side, mine was all on the left.  I had laparoscopic surgery to remove the cyst and ovary on 11/13.  The cyst was the size of an orange.  It was found to be endometriosos.  For about 6 months before surgery I would have horrible pain on the left so much so that I'd take pain meds for it.  Also, I was noticing some change to BMs, had hip and back pain and periods were getting irregular.  I was attributing all this to peri-menopause.  I had and MRI (for back pain) in Sept and it caught the cyst.  My Dr did a VUS and saw it, I waited a month and it had grown so surgery was scheduled.  

The wait and see limbo land is horrible b/c time seems to be in slow motion.  It does seem odd that, given your history and the fact that they know you have a cyst, they are making you wait.  Hopefully at your next appointment they will get you scheduled for surgery so they can get in there and see exactly what's going on.  Surgery is the only way to really know.

Good luck to you!
I'm having the same issues.  Extreme pain, irregular periods, major bowel problems - gas, bloating, constipation.  And they found a 2 cm cyst on my right ovary about a month ago (thought it was a kidney stone).  My pain is almost like a burning pain in my lower back, right side, groin area, and legs.  It has gotten a little better since it started, but still taking pain meds (alot).  I need to schedule to see a gyno/onco and would advise the same for you.  My regular gyno wants to just wait and see and doesn't care about the pain.  But then again, I have three girls to take care of and don't know when I'll find the time for myself.  Good luck to you and don't wait until the end of the month if you don't have to.  Also, that 20% is very high and I believe it's more like 1%, but read the other posts; these women have had it all!
I also have 5cm ovarian cyst right ovary (not sure what kind of cyst it is,it is fluid filled and not a mass or tumor) it is really painful!gas,nausea, stabbing,hip and leg pain is worst! had appendix oct 27 and  found cyst week later,history of kidney stones,I can honestly say this cyst is more painful than appendix or kidney stone attack.I've had this cyst 2 months,dr's reassure me should dissapear (or rupture)within 2-3 months.5cm is a fairly good size,been told it's between size of golfball(4cm) and softball(6cm), keeping in mind your ovary is size of an almond,so its big enough to cause severe discomfort especially if its pressing on bowels and nerve's.I've made many trips to er for pain but nothing seems to help and they wont admit me, but heating pad and resting helps when it becomes unbearable.They will usually try hormones if it wont go away ,Id rather have laparscopy and just get this "alien" out than to risk it rupturing.Just only if men could experience the joy of being a woman...!! Good luck to you,God Bless
                         Stephanie
Well, well, well, it's nice to hear that I was not the only one with similar symptoms.  I had a 2.5+ complex cyst on my left ovary.  It had a single septation in it, and is why it was complex.  The Dr. thinks I had 2 cysts that came together, that was the reason for the septation.  But I too had all sorts of sporadic pain, bowel issues (not fun!), trouble sleeping on my left side, general stomach upset.  The good news for me after the wait and see (it was 2 months later that I went for the 2nd V/US)approach, was the cyst did resolve itself. But I too was worried, it is not fun.  But do remember, MOST of these cysts are non-cancerous! Remember the odds are in your favor that everything is fine!  BTW, I am 42.
Hi, I had an complex cyst the diam of 7cm when I was 33.  I was told it was unlikely to be ovarian cancer because of age and they were wrong.  I was diag with LMP ovarian cancer.  Normal fluid filled cysts have about a 1% chance of being cancer in pre-menapausal women, but complex cysts have a higher chance of being cancer.  I would suggest that you follow up with a gyn-onc because they are specialists in all cysts (cancer and benign) and their removal.  If by the small chance it is ovarian cancer you want a gyn-onc to be there for the original surgery to do de-bulking if necessary.  It sounds like it definitely needs to come out though - especially since it's grown.  I was lucky LMP ovarian cancer rarely returns and if it does surgery is usually all that's necessary - chemo is not used at all.  But I strongly suggest you see a gyn-onc for your next appointment (not a gyn) so they can give you their opinion, they may request other blood tests such as the CA125 or you can request it too.  
Take care,
Debbie
Hi there!just read your post.How do they tell what kind of cyst it is,ultrasound that reliable? I'm 28 yrs old and have 5cm cyst on right ovary,noone can tell me what type of cyst it is, dr's say its just filled cyst (simple,complex?)how many types are cysts are there and which are likely to be most cancer? last trip to er,er dr suggested gyno appt (jan 11th)since I have worrism symptoms (almost 100lb weight loss within 10 months,hair loss,chronic severe pain,bowel probs) then dr tell me it's nothing to worry about, how did you find out it was cancer? Ty and God Bless!
                             Steph
Isn't it strange how differently these little alien (cysts) affect each of us. I have two 5-6cm complex cysts one on each ovary. They are suspected endometrioma's. While I'm aware of them, they aren't all that painful.
Hi Steph, I had an ultrasound and the radiologist described it as a complex cyst. A radiologist can tell from blood flow to the cyst whether or not it's troublesome.  But they can't tell for sure until pathology is completed on it if it is cancer or not.  The drs did a scope first to decide what they were going to do first and they didn't believe it was cancer.  Thankfully I asked for a frozen section biopsy where they take a piece of the cyst and test it immediately while you're still on the table.  Because the drs didn't "think" it was cancer they closed me up before the results came in.  I found out it was cancer by the time I was back in my room.  Thankfully, it was treatable with surgery only.
Steph, I got copies of the radiologists report which was helpful to me.  If you don't have it yet you should request it.  I also made a point of getting copies of my bloodwork, the surgical report and pathology report.  Always good to have these on hand in case you see another dr and the paperwork didn't come through.  I don't know how many times I heard that "oh, I didn't get a copy of that"!
If the drs suggested a wait and see approach I'm sure that's fine - just keep on top of it.  Although I didn't have one they say a transvaginal ultrasound is the best for seeing cysts clearly.
Take care,
Debbie
Thanks for everyone's comments. (Sorry I'm late in responding - I forgot my password!!)

I'm not getting bowel problems or anything else that really affects my day-to-day life other than this agonising pain every few weeks. As Lissy said, it's amazing how differently we're all affected by cysts.

I'll come back when I find out for sure what is going on. I did have a transvaginal ultrasound in addition to the usual one, so hopefully my Consultant will be able to offer me some further information when I see him in a few weeks time.

Thanks again - good health to all. :)

Let us know how you make out after your appointment.
:)
Debbie
Reading everyone's stories has been very helpful, thank you all.  I had a 6cm complex cyst found just today in an ultrasound on my left ovary.  I am 36 and had a partial hysterectomy in 10/04.  I was diagnosed "peri-menopausal" at 32.

Now they want to send me to the hospital for a stat CT scan (with contrast) to rule out "adnexal" bleeding.  Does anyone know what this might be and what the contrast part of the scan will show them versus the ultrasound?  My PCP seems to think the ovary will have to come out.

Thanks, M.
Hello everyone...1st of all I would like 2 say thank u for this forum...I have suffered with ovarian cysts for 20 years...I had several operations (laparoscopies) 2 remove cysts, scar tissue, leisons, endodometriosis etc....In 1995 1 hour after my baby boy was born, my uterus died..Don't remember the exact medical term but it happens in 1 in 2 million women, supposedly...Anyway they did an emergency hysterectomy and took everything but my ovaries....Because I was only 25...Now Im almost 38 years of age and because of ovarian cysts have been in and out of the hospitals for ct scans, sonograms, etc...I went 2 hospital last friday again for the 3rd time this month and they said my 1.3 cm ovarian cyst had not changed..Take meds go home and call dr. on friday...Well I called my surgeon who had scheduled a laparoscopy feb,20th pending getting 20 year old medical records from another state...Ive been in so much pain since last friday I just lay and cry...So I scheduled an appointment and saw my regular dr. today and she had not even been sent my test results...When she got them, she came out to the waiting room with a look of shock on her face and told me that not only do I have the 1.3 cm cyst (no big deal)Ive had it since dec...but I also have another cyst measuring 3.2 cm on the same ovary...Im sorry 2 have given my lifes history, but didnt want 2 leave much out...I guess my question is now that I have 2 cysts on the same ovary what r if any complications could come from them bursting and what have ur  experiences been in dealing with the pain, fustration and home remedies 2 help the pain????I'm currently living on a wet heating pad and that helps alot.... My thoughts and prayers r with each and every woman and her family that suffers thru female medical issues...
I am so thrilled to find this site.  I too have been experiencing increasing pain and gastrointestinal issues.  This morning I found the culprit - a 5 cm cyst on the right ovary.  However, the technician would not tell me if it appeared to be complex, chocolate, etc.  Nevertheless, I know surgery is in the future.  When I was 28 I was diagnosed with endometriosis and lost 1/2 of my left ovary and 3/4 of my right.  I had been fine for almost 10 years, until now.
I came across this thread when I was looking for anything regarding this cyst that i have on my right ovary.  It is over 5 cm in size , there is another one that is 4. I have had severe pain . They did the ct scan thinking i had a kidney stone. that's when they found the cyst. I had an ultrasound and the pelvic probe too, the radi. wanted the ca-125 test done.  Came back neg. i am 42 had a hystorect. 8 years ago.i am on pain killers and the surg. has a wait and see additude. i am terrified. What could he be waiting for? I have long been done having kids and the uterus is gone.  Should i wait for the next ultrasound or be looking else where for another doctor?  Any help or reasurrance would be great! thanks
JUST FOUND OUT TODAY THAT I HAVE A  5CM  CYST ON MY LEFT OVARY. WOULDN'T HAVE KNOWN IT IF I HADN'T HAD A PET SCAN.
I HAVE NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL. I HAVE READ ALL THE COMMENTS AND EVERYONE HAS HAD PAIN. I HAVEN'T FELT A THING.ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WITH THE SAME STORY? IF SO WHATS THE OUTCOME?
THANKS FOR ANY INFO.I'M FEELING QUITE SCARED TODAY.
I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH THYROID CANCER BUT THIS IS MUCH SCARIER TO ME!!
TC
Cysts and Pain.  Please be aware that cysts can become strangulated/twisted and/or hemhorragic (filled with blood) and can be very painful, irrespective of their size. I had a ruptured cyst at 20 that caused me to lose 20% of my entire volume of blood.  I was bleeding internally and required surgery to save my life.  I suffered for over 1-1/2 years from painful cysts and was told that they weren't painful, just middleschmertz (pain for one day, mid month).  I tried desperately to convince my ob/gyn that I was in continual sharp stabbing pain.  Long story short, I went to another ob/gyn who found a lot of scarring on my right ovary. So much so that my right fallopian tube was attached to it.  When she went in to remove the right ovary and tube, there was a very large (5 cm) hemhorragic cyst on the ovary, and she exclaimed to the resident assisting her that "this was one time the patient was right".  Understand that this doctor was the first and only one willing to hear me out and investigate this problem.  She didn't tell me how I felt, I told her and she listened.  She gave me a better quality of life back and I will always be grateful for her "bedside manner", competency, and compassion.  These are vital components to any good doctor.
I am now 49 years old and dealing with a septated cyst I've had on my remaining ovary for over 2 years.  It is slowly growing, and I am becoming concerned because I have had 2 battles with cancer in my life.  There are still some very good doctors out there that are worth their weight in gold.  Don't allow anyone to bully you into thinking you're over reacting to a health concern.  If I had believed that, I would not be here today to type this post.  All the best,
I was going through ICSI last year and mid treatment they found a cyst on my ovary, this was back in April.  I had to stop treatment and had scans and tests.  I was given the option of having the cyst removed or continue with ICSI.  I opted to continue ICSI.  I was in so much pain. ICSI(ivf) didnt work as i was left in continuous pain day and night, tearful helpless.  Finally a date came to see consultant about having cyst removed it was October by the time they took it out.  It was detected at 5cm, but in Oct it had grown to 8cm.  I had cyst removed along with severe adhesions on my bowel which were clinging onto my left ovary, over time adhesions shrink which was causing me so much pain, when i say pain, i mean it was so bad i just wanted to get a knife and rip the cyst out myself.  After the op i was left painless no painkillers, (i was taking 2 paracetamols every 2 hours which wasnt right but i was prescribed anything decent).  After my op i had my period and i was again in pain but just slightly, it was annoying i was scared.  so i went to see dr after leaving it a month, she sent me for a scan where they told me i had cyst again which was 2.5cm.  I was given a date 6 weeks later in Jan.  I went for scan and i was told the cyst had grown considerably to 7cm.  During this time I had apt with my consultant who said he'll make apt for me to see him in 6 weeks once i'd had my second scan (consultant for ICSI (IVF).  As time went on the pain was getting worse.  I rang Dr and she called me in as i was feeling light headed for a week and i was having weird side affects, my hearing would go and i'd see bright light for a few seconds then i'd be ok, i went to see her in Feb and i was rushed to hospital and they drained cyst.  3 days later i came on my period, wen i wen i went to see my consultant 2 weeks after op they kept me in again, my cyst had come back this time it was 5cm in just 2 weeks.  My period was leaking into the cyst.  I am now on Prostap, just had 2nd injection going for my scan on tues.  after my 3rd injection they should be removing my left ovary.  Then hopefully i can carry on with IVF.  I am going to be 38 in june have no children time is ticking away.  But i've been painfree for the last 9 weeks and it's heaven after being in constant pain for over a year.  It's like being born again.  I'm enjoying gardening at the moment helps me take my mind off things to come.
Hello everyone.  In Feb. 2009 I had an orange sized cyst on my left ovary. They did surgery and removed the ovary as well as my fallopian tube. Recently I have been experiencing extreme pain on my left side.  Ive been to the ER twice.  First time, the ultrasound came back showing no cyst :/  so I was sent home with pain meds. Today, I was in so much pain it was doubling me over.  I have bowel problems as well on occasion. I went back to the ER had another ultrasound done and it showed that I have a 5cm by 6cm complex cyst on the right ovary that is bleeding. Something about blood coming out but not going in?? Beats me.  Anyway, I was given IV pain meds for aboout 3 hours.  The OB doctor came and talked with me and said that maybe it needed to be removed and made an appointment with my regular GYN for NOVEMBER 5TH!!  Ok, Im in serious pain and really dont want to keep running back and forth to the ER. I have had multiple abdominal surgeries and therefore have a lot of scar tissue which make laparoscopic surgery impossible and a more complex surgery a must.  BUT really, I cant go on like this. I doubt it will just "go away".  I dont want surgery anymore than the next person, but I think it needs to be done.  Any suggestions? BTW, I am 36 and have two kids. 18 and 11 so Im done.  I know removing my ovary will put me into early menopause and I dont look forward to that, but I dont know what else to do.
Whoops!  That should read experiencing extreme pain on my RIGHT side.
Well after multiple ER visits, ultrasounds and being sent home with pain meds, I have been scheduled for surgery Oct 26.  I am relieved but at the same time, I am sad.  I am 36 and have two boys 18 and 11.  I was not planning to have any more children, but its different when it is my choice rather than being told that I will not be able to have kids.  They are going to remove my uterus as well as the right ovary because I am considered a high risk patient due to a lot of scar tissue I have in the abdominal area.  This way, in the event something were to go wrong in the future, I will not have to go through another surgery. Please pray that all goes well for me and I come out of this ok :(
Hi just reading your post today Oct 27th.  I wished I read it earlier I would have wished you luck.  Sorry to hear about your problems.  though I am a few years older at 40 going thru something similar,  telling me I need a hyst. and ovaries removed.  thinking maybe they can save one.  though not sure am scared to death myself of all this.  I hope when you reading this you are feeling wonderful.  Please let us know how you are doing.  my surgery is coming up on Nov 17. though I have  second opionion coming up.  take care and hope when you are out of the hositipal all things will be wonderful.
I am so sorry for everyone's pain and anguish. I haven't been on in a while; I'm doing very well after my total (cervix too) hysto almost two years ago.  Also, about the menopause question above, I was put on estrogen and it has proven to be an excellent option for me.  I actually have my sex drive back and feel "normal" again.  I hadn't had a sex drive for so many years b/c of all the adenomyosis, ovarian cysts, etc. that was messing terribly with my system.  Reading your posts brings me back to those darkest days of all of my illness.  I wish you all the best with your health.  Please post a question to me, if you'd like - I have been through it ALL and it was no fun going it alone, and I would have gone crazy if it weren't for these forums with such wonderful, caring people helping each other!  Be well!
I just got back from the hospital and after being there for hours i found out i also had a 5cm cyst on my right side and fluid (whatever that means) Ive never been to the gyno and tomorrow will be my first trip. After reading the majority of these stories i noticed you guys are a littler older than me and if i should be worried? Im 18 and none of my friends have ever delt with this before but some of there moms have. Is this normal?
I am 24 yrs old and had to go to the ER twice cause I had so much pain in my left side. No one could figure out what it was into I told my Doctor that i was planning to have a baby when i turn 25 and wanted to get check that everything is working to be ready for my baby. The OB did the regular check-up then told me that my left ovary was unrormal. So she did a Ultrasound it turns out I have a Cyst about 3-5cm. I asked what kind of cyst it was and she said that they had to do more test to find out. I am scare is this going to affect in anyways of me having children. Plase give me feedback on this.  
This thread is a little scary! I am 22 and recently found out through a CT Scan that I have a 3.5 cm Dermoid cyst. They will be doing surgery to remove it soon. It's unlikely that it's cancer or that I'll have to have my ovary or anything else removed right? My CT was 5 days ago, how fast can these things grow?
I went to the ER Friday with the most horrific pain i ever felt and i had two children pain was worse than labor... they suspected an appendicitis but the CTscan showed that i had a 5cm cyst on my left ovary. which to me was weird my pain was on the right side. i do have problems with gas and bowel issues as well. I am trying to conceive and will be going to my fertility dr on thursday. im a really scared. im only 26 yrs old and i am not done having children my husband is only 22 and has none of his own. guess im just afraid that its gonna mess me up. They have me on vicoden for the pain and im hoping they can just remove the cyst and all is be ok..
Well now I feel a little bit like a freak... LOL I went to the dr today because I was late on my period by 1 1/2 weeks... I was super paranoid that I was pregnant. I have not been to the dr for my annual visit in a few years. Last month my period was strange... started one day... stopped for one day... then started back up again for 2 more days. I felt a stabbing pain that did not feel like cramps(I always got those REALLY bad).

I went to the DR today so they could go ahead and do the pap smear and they did an ultra sound and saw the cyst... it is 9cm and they want to do the surgery in 2-3 weeks. I have to take a test for work(series 7) so I am trying to push it back until the week after that. I have to take and pass that test to keep my job... :-/ so yeah...he said once there was a 16 year old girl who had one the size of a basketball... so i guess things could be worse(that girl did lose her ovary).
I found out yesterday that I have a 6 cm hemorragic cyst on my R ovary.  I noticed that when I had to go to the bathroom (pee) I would have some major pressure, sometimes with pain (depending on how long I would let my bladder fill).  I was told there really isn't anything they can do, it will either rupture or resolve itself.  My doc called in an Rx for me for anti-inflammatory and pain meds.  I hesitate with the pain meds b/c I don't want to crash on my keyboard.  Besides really the only pain I have is when I have to use the restroom.  I have still been able to exercise (run), haven't had sex yet since I noticed so I don't know if it will hurt, and Im getting married in May!!  I am hoping this resolves itself before then as I would prefer to not have pain on my wedding day and be able to enjoy myself on my honeymoon.  Yikes.  

I have no history of ovarian cancer or endometriosis or anything like that (TG) and it seems that this popped up so fast.  Any thoughts on what happens it it ruptures?  Is there a lot of bleeding (knowing everyone is different) or will my body absorb it?  They may sound like crazy questions, but I'm just curious!  I'm afraid to be out running and have blood run down my legs.
Hi Lilly glad to hear that you are doing well after your surgery. I am hoping the same for me. I have a 3.3cm cysts on my left ovary also have a fibroid"don't know size" They found that I have HPV and pre-cancerous cells. and an internal cystic lesion. I am having laprocopic procedure done on the 26th to remove cyst and fibroid. Oh my gyn did a c125 and I am within normal on that"13". My mom had cervical and breast cancer.My father passed away with lung cancer so I am just a little worried. Any idea what all of this means? appreciate any insight. Any one have similar symptoms???Do you think that they will want to remove my olvary as well?
Hello, all,

This is Anarane, the poster who kicked off this thread. Thought I should post an update seeing as this was three years ago!

Just a note to say that all is fine; cyst was removed in Feb 07, and I'm fully recovered. It didn't quite go to plan - turns out my endometriosis is rampant, which complicated the surgery and post-surgery recovery - but otherwise all is well.

Please - don't worry. :) This is usually a very simple, straight-forward procedure - so please don't unduly worry yourselves until there's need to!

I wish everyone the best of health.
I am 21 (22 end of April) I found out yesterday I have a 5cm+ complex cyst on my right ovary. I have booked in a laparoscopy for the 19th April and my gynaecologist will perform the surgery, and he says that with the surgery it will give him more incite to what type of cyst and how dangerous it is etc. I don’t mind having the surgery but I anticipate that with the laparoscopy if they don’t remove on the 19th then I will have to go under the knife again to remove. I would then have had 3 operations since January (4in the last 4years), and I also recently found out that I have a mild heart condition so I don’t know whether all these surgeries will do me much good.  More to this I have a lot of cancer in my direct family. My mother ovarian cancer, grandmother breast cancer, uncle cancer of the liver, there is also more female cancer in my extended family along with other feminine health issues which makes me more than concerned.
I do lose a lot of hair but I had always put this down to stress, My weight is always up and down and never consistent, but this I always put down to bad eating and exercise habits. After reading all of the threads above possibly these symptoms could be linked to the cyst. I do been experiencing a lot of pain during the first few days of my period on my right side it kind of fells like a constant pressure and aching, sometimes I am riddled with period pain other times its there but more of an annoyance that a problem, if the cyst is the cause I will be glad to have this sorted and removed so that I can get on with my life. I also was trying for a child with my partner for the last 2 years and have never fallen pregnant (and we practice almost every day) so I’m thinking maybe this is the reason why we have been unsuccessful. Am somewhat concerned that some of you have had part or the entire ovary removed. This obviously will affect getting pregnant in the future.
It’s all a shame really as on top of the health concerns I am a finalist in the Miss Universe GB 2010 pageant which takes place on the 2nd May. There’s a bikini round and if i am scarred or if there is complications it doesn’t look like i will be able to compete! :(
So I wish all of you ladies luck with health and life.
P.S I think it’s really nice how women of all backgrounds and ages can come together with a linked health problem and be so helpful and show so much empathy for their sisters! We are really lucky to have each other and to talk to many people who know what we are going through and can help, comfort and advise!
I have been told I have Three Endo cysts on the left ovary and that I need laproscropic surgery.  I am Terrified.  Can anyone tell me what your body goes thru after the surgery.  Thank you for you help.
I have quite a long story to tell with the hopes someone can help me.I have not been feeling well since Jan 2009.I have been experiencing nausea,bloating,fullness when i eat,fatigue,rt groin and thigh pain and swelling,wt loss 35lbs in 10months.Had been to several Drs they did not know what was wrong with me.In June 2009 I had a transvaginal U/S that showed a 5cm mass lesion in my rt ovary.Saw a GYNE in July 2009 he told me none of my symptoms were related to a 5cm mass lesion but he would put me on his OR list for a LAP.Well he made me wait till Dec .14/09 for my Lap as he thought I was a hypochondriact.He did my Lap and told me he would remove the mass and send it away for pathology.I woke up in recovery room and said to the nurse did he remove the mass and she said no nothing was removed.When I spoke with the Dr post surgery he said he left it there as he felt it would do more harm to lose an ovary then keeping it there.I asked him what he saw and he said you do have a tumor but I feel it is a Fibroma and they are usually benign.I said did you see the tumor and he said yes and I said your ovaries are not tranparent are they? He said no.So of course he did not see the tumor as my mass is on the interior of my ovary.I told him I wanted a second opinion .I had to wait till Mar 3 2010 to see the second GYNE who is a women instead of a man.During the exam she felt the mass right off and said it is a solid mass and I will be on her Or list as this will have to come out and I will lose that rt ovary and it will be sent for pathology to rule out cancer.Well it is April 10/10 and I am still waiting for my call for surgery she said her list is a 3 month wait I guess I wonder is there no worry to my situation as this has been going on so long.My ca 125 in June 2009 was 25.9.My mother had breast ca when she was 47.Did I say that my 5 cm mass was showing on u/s as a solid mass in June and Aug and Dec 2009.I had another u/s Mar 2010 the mass showed changes that now it is complex with hemmorage fluid and the mass is inside that.Also Iam now suffering from Iron Defiency Anemia is this from the tumor?I really need help.Does anyone have any comments reguarding my very stressful time?I am a 39 yr old mother of two girls 4 and 7.Please help!!!!! Thanks Mindy
Hi I  am a 44 and just found out I have a complex tumor on my Rt ovary. I have no pain, it was for other reasons the tumor was found. I went to my local ER because of constant complaints of severe abdominal distension. I look like I am 6 months pregnant and have had several xrays and am completely full of stool. Each Dr told me just to drink colon cleans which is so nasty and I will be fine. I can loose up to 7-10lbs in one night after drinking this stuffand a few days later I am bloated again, so I went back again and I got a resident Dr and she booked me for a CT. The CT determined that I had 2 simple cysts one on each ovary but a ultrasound would be recommended as well as a colonoscopy. The ultrasound determined I had one complex mass on my rt ovary and the scope was clean, nothing in my colon. My symptoms are severe bloating, lower back pain, weight up and down, hair loss, headaches, nausea, no appetite because of full felling, SOB. I have a lot of friends that are nurses and they are not getting a good feeling that this is just nothing and I am so scared that they may be right, heck people in my town already have spread around that I have cancer...do they no something I don't. Has anyone diagnose with ovarian cancer experienced the same symptoms I have, I am waiting to get my appt for a gyn but in the mean time I am going crazy with no one to understand my situation...ladies talk to me should I be scared????
Hi I'm 28 years old just found out saturday that I have 4-5 cm hemorragic ovarian cyst on my right ovary.  when i went to see my dr monday he acted like i should not be in as much pain as i am.  even went so far as to say that if the birth control didn't work they could go in do surgry and that still might not be what is wrong.  from what i have read everything that u are saying about bowel problems, pain when peeing, pain when having sex, just pain all the time.  that's how it feels for me.  my big concern is that I'm not going to be able to have kids.  I think i need to get a second oppion and soon.
Hi All, I've just been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst on my right ovary and was admitted to hospital due to the pain. It had ruptured and they said if would most likely dissperse with my period but at this stage it has not. I am a strong believer in power of the mind and the emotional link to illness and the mind. I found a very interesting article with some information that may be helpful if anyone is experiencing ongoing/repeats of these cysts. The short of it (what Louise Hay says) is that cysts are due to running an old painful movie, nursing hurts (rather than grieving and releasing them), and a false growth. I did ring true to me and was quite empowering. This website shares more about this type of approach. It is a holistic view but the information is still very useful for general health, if you're not into holistic therapies.
the site is: http://www.carolynchambersclark.com/id127.html
I hope you all have quick recoveries and are full and vibrant again in no time. ;-)
to all  im 20 years old and for the last two and a half months have had pain in my lower back, groin and thighs i feel bloated and constantly constipated. ive had swabs taken for womb infections which i found extremely painful but they have came back negative. the pain seems to be getting worse and so do my period pains do you think this could be related to cysts ? thankyou all
WHY IS OUR PAIN REPEATEDLY BEING IGNORED - IT GETS ME SO CROSS.  Here is my story, I hope it helps others who are not being believed.

I am having a ABH and BSO the on Wednesday this week. I'm scared stiff because of the surgery, obviously, but also because this is the first step to finding out for sure if my ovarian cyst is benign or malignant and if any spread has happened, in other words, if I have ovarian cancer. However, I still feel better than I have for 2 months because at least something is being done. All this sudden activity is happening because my consultant gynacology oncologist has confirmed a 5cm x 6cm complex cyst in the area of my right ovary, a small cyst on my left ovary, some fibroids, a CA125 result of 87 (baseline in UK is 30 for diagnostic purposes) and a uterus lining 3 times thicker than it should be for a post-menopausal woman and has put me down for urgent surgery as all this is a strong indicator of cancer.  But, none of this would have been known at this point in time because of the non-urgent scan appointment for the end of JUNE that my GP reluctantly booked me in for when I refused to go away and kept visiting the surgery about my pain. In fact if Ihad not paid for a private transvagainal and abdominal ultrasound scan in March when the symptoms were bad enough for me to have to take time off work and the pain had become unbearable I would still be unaware that I had a complex cyst or that my Cancer Antigen level was so high. It still gets me cross that loads of the people posting here are going through similar dismissive GP experiences.  My GP went through, what I now know is all the usual possibilities ie. IBS, kidney stones, diet and lifesyle, looking at me like I was making it up or a nutter, etc etc. He eventually requested an appointment for me to have an abdominal scan at the hospital but the appointment was for 2 months hence and I was just not willing to wait and worry with the level of pain I was having, hence the private scans idea  (I had them done at one of these new 3D ultrasound clinics that usually cater for pregnant women - the well qualified sonographer and radiologist were both fantastic and it cost only £180 for transvaginal and full abdominal which is a bargain compared to local private hospitals who wanted £240 for each scan).  Thank God I ignored the GP and did this, the radiologists report from the ultrasound clinic was given to me the day after the scan and went in to great detail, about every organ in my body with a full description of the offending complex cyst, uterus lining, and other stuff in the pelvic area, and at the end of it he wrote 'URGENT referral to a gyncologist/oncologist is reccommened'  I gave this to the GP and was immediately (while I sat there he phoned the hospital!!!) put on the fast track 'suspected cancer route' which in the UK means you have to be seen by a specialist in no longer than 2 weeks and then the consultant too has to follow certain time criteria which leads to treatment (whatever is appropriate for you) having to take place no longer than 62 days after the GP referral date. At this moment I am sat in my living room with a heating pad on my shoulder and one on my abdomen, the bloated right lower abdomen area  still feels as though I'm in that alien film and something is going to burst through at any moment!  I am taking 6-8 hospital prescribed tablets per day for moderate to severe pain + 6 ibuprofen to cope but at least I know that something will be done this week. I too, like many people on this forum started in late March with very vague symptoms, bladder/bowel weirdness, intermittent stabbing pains in abdomen, bloating, etc etc (you know the rest from previous posts), but this shows that you need to be proactive to get something done.  
I found out today that I have a 6cm cysts on my left ovary and an 8cm cysts on my right ovary. Which they called a Bilateral cysts. They did not tell me how many just that there were multiple. I had a CA-125 done today and now have to wait for the results. I am in so much pain and worried about the outcome. My mother had ovarian cancer in 1999 at the age of 38. She had a hysterectomy done. I am  30 years old and feel like history is repeating itself. Just wanted to share my story...I feel so alone right now.
The findings from my wife's colonoscopy (her first and only) reads thus:
Large smooth bulge (approximately 4 cm) in the cecum at the appendiceal orifice, most likely extrinsic compression. A submucosal colonic lesion is another possibility.

Needless to say I haven't had any sleep since getting the news (yesterday).  Please let me know what you think of this. Thanks in advance.
Long story short.  I had a total abdominal hysterectomy last year at the age of 33.  Doctor decided to keep my ovaries since I was so young and I had never had problems out of them.  I was doing great until this past late March up until now.  Ultrasound has showed a 6 cm cyst on my left ovary.  My doctor put me on YAZ to maybe shrink it, and I am to have another ultrasound in a month.  If it hasn't shrunk or went away he will do surgery to remove the ovary.  He has also left me with the decision to keep my right ovary.  I don't know what to do because this will be my 5th abdominal surgery.  (3 c-sections, 1 total hysterectomy)  I am just left clueless.
I am thankful to hear I am not alone, but I am also so frustrated to hear this many women experiencing the same kind of neglect from doctors in regard to our symptoms.
In March I went to the doc, thinking I had a UTI or kidney infection because I'd had fatigue, nausea, bloating and pressure for a week - and suddenly started having some abdominal pain. They sent me to the ER to rule out appendicitis. An ultrasound revealed a 2 cm cyst on my right ovary and a small amount of free fluid. So they said the cyst must have ruptured and I should be fine in a few days. A follow-up at the OBGYN a few days later resulted in a a nonchalant doctor in spite of my symptoms not improving. She said if it became ongoing, I could try taking birth control (which I took 11 years ago and have avoided like the plague since because of bad reactions).
Fast forward two months later, and I'd not had a single day of feeling better. My fatigue increased, the pain persisted and I gained ten pounds without changing my diet! No amount of improved eating and exercise made a difference.
I was at my wit's end, so I made an appt with an OBGYN. I could not get in for three weeks... when I did, I was almost in tears over the sense that an alien had taken over my body. She was sympathetic and scheduled a bunch of tests - which all came back "normal" a week later. Then approval for an ultrasound came through, and they told me it would be three weeks until I could have an appt. After calling, arguing, persisting and explaining that I feared ovarian cancer, they moved it up one week. I knew I could not wait even that long with the mental anguish and continued physical discomfort, so I went to the ER.
The doctor there said he'd seen my imaging from March and did not think we needed to do any new scans. I demanded an ultrasound because the pain had moved to the left and in my back, neck and legs.
The ultrasound showed a complex ovarian cyst with "abnormal interior borders" and still the same free fluid (but no more cyst on the right).
I was sent home with pain medication, told it was nothing urgent and to get a follow-up ultrasound in a few weeks.
I wanted an OBGYN to see the results and explain them to me but could not get an appt with anyone but a midwife for three weeks. So I paid out of pocket to see a different OBGYN who took me a little more seriously (but did not understand the radiologist's report). I am waiting for results from the CA-125, but she did that as a formality. I know at 34 years of age, having nursed three babies, I am not high-risk (though I do have breast and colon cancer in my family). But I have seen so many women who have ovarian cancer in spite of not fitting the "profile."
She also thinks I may have chronic appendicitis, which would explain the pain on my right that has never left (and got worse in the past two weeks). So I am seeing a surgeon next week (only because I was a squeaky wheel and got it moved up from two weeks later). He is supposed to say whether he thinks I need to have my appendix removed, with the OBGYN in attendance in case of the need to do more.
I am in agony over my symptoms and the lack of answers, and especially over the non-urgent way I have been treated. Even family and friends seem to think I am nuts at times, and I feel like it sometimes myself! So glad to at least have some moral support from others going through this. Bless you all, and please share follow-up on what happens with you.
hi my name is gabby and i had suffered from having an ovarian cyst for 2 years. It all stated one day at the age of 21  i began having tremendous amount of pain on my right pelvic  area and also on my legs and lower back. it became so unbareble that i was not able to walk. i went on a dr appointment and they told me it was due to my period and sent me back home. I continue to struggle with my pain until one day i decided to go to the ER and there they found a cyst which @ the time was only 3 cm big. My then doctor said it was due to my so called ovalution. he said that when we release an egg each month that egg leaves a cap behind and those caps form eggs he said it would go awau and not to worry about it , i kept going for ultrasounds but he would not recommend me taking it out he said not to worry about it, and finally afer a year of paifull intercorse, of painfull periods and just some very painfull and uncomfortalbe day I got a reall good insureace trough my job and i began to see a personal dr who i personally adore, she soon refer me to get an transvaginal ultrasound as well as a regular over the belly one. and when i got my results she said that I had a dermoid cyst measuring 6 cm. these kind of tumors on your ovaries do not go away they are called bizar tumor because they are made of a cell in your body that reproduces and in turns is made up of hair bones and even teeth, yeah i know pretty gross, either way i waited for 6 months beforew i decided it was time to take that thing out of me, and here i am I am 4 days post surgery i got an open surgery done, they cut below my bikini area, i must say that the pai was excrusiating, you can not berp nor sneez nor laugh without having any type of pain, but the mass is finally out of me i just have to see my dr tommorrow to have my stiches removed, and i will work out a .plan with my dr to have my cyst problem to be kept out of control. untill then i will continue to post of my post surgery symptoms and issues, if you have any questions feel free to ask. thanks girls just remember that you are not alone out there, many of us suffer from these so called aliens in our bodys. but dont give up go to different doctores and find out which our the best options to treat your problem
I had terrable pain before. Gonna get surgery in a week. Scaired. The pain was unberrable. I could not move or it would hurt. Only could treat with cold ice bag. Felt as if a car ran into me. Doctors could not understand what it was. Surgery finaly 6 months later. I am for sure younger than you. I less than 15 years old and had a cyst that started at 2 cm then to about 6 cm. Not fun.
Hi, im 17 years old and have just come out of hospital after being there for 8 days,, they were looking for signs of acute appendicitis at first but yesterday after a second ultrasound scan they found a cyst on my right ovary which is 5cm big and said it is bleeding into my right ovary causing it to swell and twist a little... After reading other posts i noticed alot of you have had them removed due to problems like this. But the doctor a gyn just sent me home with pain meds. Theyve issued another scan for 6 weeks time, but it seems like a long time to me as im in alot of pain and its only been getting worse. (I did tell the doctor that it was getting worse but he didnt seem to be bothered)

Im not sure what kind of cyst it is as the doctor didnt tell me, but its rather worrying it, i seem tho be the youngest person with this problem as everyone else ive read about is between 20 and 50 years old .!! Is this serious and should it be removed, if so does it hurt and will i be OK..? also why isnt the doctor thinking of removing it when its causing so much pain and already bleeding into my ovary?..

it was a huge shock when i heard what the cause of the pains where, it was a shock to my mum too.. my mum had a small cyst years ago which was only a couple of mm in size, and it dissapeared after some time, her twin sister (my aunt) also has had several cysts in her life, and also ovarian cancer resultin in her womb and her ovary being removed.. Do you think the 5cm cyst i have developed could be related to this?

As i say, im only 17 so im very worried, and scared as the docs dont seem to be bothered about it
the pain is horrible, i have to go to the toilet alot as when my bladder gets too full it REALLY hurts.. i have frequent, abdominal pains which are really bad and have only gotten worse while ive been in hospital. Im also gettin bad lower back pains and my leg on that side gets really achy and painful.. The overall pain in that right area near the ovary gets extremely bad at night.. which also worries me as i dont get alot of sleep.

Thanks, i hope someone can help x
SP
Go a different doctor...take all records..you need a 2nd opinion...do not delay..your parents need to be your advocate..I would be there screaming for you...sounds very stupid to me..especially since there is history in your family...best of luck and get your parents calling different doctors!!!
Hi SP, Im 19 years old and shortly after a miscarriage in September I noticed I was having sharp pains in my ovaries..which I knew wasn't normal because it kept happening daily for weeks. I went to the doctor very beginning of October and he said he thought it was my gallbladder so we had an ultrasound of the gallbladder done..nothing remarkable. Which I already knew, because that's not even where I was having pain. I would get sharp pains in my groin, ovaries (sharp and dull aching pain, much different than period cramps. I was having leg cramps and insomnia, plus frequent headaches. My periods started coming later and later, and at the beginning of November I went to a new doctor who did a ct scan to check things out. The only thing that came up was bilateral ovarian mermaids inside my ovaries measuring 5x4 cm on my right side and 4x5 on my left side, and they sent me to the emergency room because they were scared it was going to cause torsion, which like you is when they twist, cutting off blood supply to the ovaries. The ER did an internal vaginal ultrasound and saw they were dermoid cysts which definitely needed to be removed and fast to save my ovaries. A week later I was in a new ob/gyn's office setting up my surgery consultation. My surgery was yesterday, Monday the 15th. They made a large incision on my lower abdomen to cut open my ovaries to remove the cysts (finding a third small one at this time) so they were all removed, my ovaries were stitched back up and a protective cellulose was placed around them to help them heal properly. The surgery went smooth. I had one of the best surgeons in the US, and I was very impressed. I'm currently an inpatient here until tomorrow afternoon. I got off my Ivs this morning, had my catheter taken out and got off the morphine. My scar hurts and I currently can't use my stomach muscles, making it extremely hard to get out of bed, get in bed, walk around, and do anything really. It even hurts to pee. But it's all part of the healing process. I'm just glad to be okay. I can't feet pregnant for a year, but after that my ovaries will be healed and good to go. I'll be a baby making machine haha. I agree with jh913 , get a second opinion because I think they need to come out! Mine did! I'm soooo thankful I insisted on a second opinion when everybody else insisted I was okay, otherwise my ovaries would have died. I wish the best of luck to you. Keep us posted!
Hello everyone my name is kimmy. I've been reading a lot of your posts and most of the woman who have been affected by complex cysts have been in the 30's and 40's. I am 24 years old and have been having cysts bursts for 6 years now. Recently I was in the er and was told I have a complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary. The doctor referred me to a womens clinic because he's concerned it may be cancerous and I'm very nervous. My concern is my mom had cysts like this also and she passed away from cancer. What is the likely hood this is cancerous?
I can't sleep with my head filled with worries.. I went for a check up due to some bloating and irritability in my abdominal area..my doctor sent me to get a bunch of blood work and a transvaginal ultrasound..Turns out I have a Complex Cyst 5cm long on my left ovary...I've noticed that I'm frequently gassy and tired all the time..which reading online are some symptoms of Ovarian Cancer which is supposively a Silent Killer..I'm 37 years old and a mother of 3 children ages 14,12 and 4..and extremely worried..eventhough I do believe in miracles..I've had a few in my life..but the What If is still there...MominMiami
Hi to everyone suffering from this agonising illness.. Having suffered from painful complex cyst most of my adult life..in my early twenties removal of my right ovary and tube due to huge dermoid..then suffered further on my left ovary..hence having ivf in 1991..which was a success...anyway 19 years later back n forth to the doctors with bowel pain, loose motions, nausea, dizziness and lots of lower back and left hip pain, they finally found another cyst on my one remaining ovary..i am 48 scared witless..just found out i am to become a first time nannie...i want to be healthy for my daughter and up and coming grandchild.  Had a CA125 done it came back normal..but i am still concerned the amout of pain and nausea i am feeling...is this normal??? Colonoscopy came back clear too...anyone else had the same severe pain and nausea??? Good luck to all of you. Ruth xxx
I have had constant pain during my periods which started when I was 10. I am now 30. After the past 3 yrs becoming severe, i was told I had an infection on my right side around my ovary. I had a repeat scan 4 wks later to find I had a 4cm cyst on my left ovary, 6 wks later I have a 5cm cyst on my right. It is my right side that is very very painful and to be honest, childbirth was a lot less painful!!!! I am feeling really fed up and have been told its nothing to worry about and the doctor has to decide what to do next. My mum and nan have had breast cancer and just wondered if anyone knew anything which will help and if breast cancer in the family could be linked to problems with the ovaries. (as I was told by a doctor it is not related). There has been no sign of removing any cysts or further treatment and I dont know what to do next. thanks Kerry. tc. x
Talk about fear I am a 37 year old mother of 2 ages 20 and 15. i have been battling with cyst on my ovaries since 2004. You talk about extreme pain abdominal pain, I would rather give birth 10 times over again. In and out of the ER over the years, that I have a and no resolution. I have been in pain and I have asked for help from numerous doctors. Today the OB/GYN calls and says I need to come in immediately that they want me in the office the following morning that I have complex ovarian cysts. possibility of cancer and they will discuss my options at the appointment. my God am I scared if you have or believe in a faith or higher power pray for me ... Thank you I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED
hello,
Im 25 and just before two days after doing an ultrasound i discover i have an ovarian cyst sizes 4cm and 3.39cm. im scary to death, the doctor told me to wait one month and then contact an OB, he said that the cyst seems to be  corpuscolar (i don't understand).
i discover this forum and i would like to clarify my ideas cause oh my good im freaking out
thank you
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for sharing your stories. I have a couple of questions as well.

I heard that removing even one ovary can cause cognitive damage (trouble with memory mainly) and I'm worried about it. Has anyone had that happen? I'm only 21 and I don't want to have anything happen like that. I have a complex cyst on my right ovary that causes a lot of pain, but it has yet to change size, is only 3cm, and has not changed shape. It's been like this for 5 months, and I found out after a miscarriage. It's attached and it has blood flow. My doctor is looking at removing the one ovary, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. I also am worried that it will lower my sex drive. It may sound shallow, but it's an important aspect of my husband's and my relationship. I don't want to lose our intimacy to an ovary.

Please, if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.
Hi all , its been interesting reading everyones storys , im treding through the internet for answers for my cyst , i went to the doctors with bloating and gas i thought maybe IBS , she asked about my periods and did a internal she sent me for a scan and they forund the cyst they said it didnt look worrying but wanted a ca125 and anouther scan done , my ca 125 was 65 and my gyno didnt seem to worried im wanting for a second scan , nobody seems to worried except me do yu think im over reacting ? any advice please
Hi, I am 45. I work in the medical community but am on the business side of it.  Had a long hx of pelvic pain had cysts that clustered like grapes since I was 23.  Also had very difficult time getting pregnant in my late 20's because of the problem. No family hx of cancer.  However, my mom, g ma, and older sister have all had early hysterectomys due to heavy bleeding and female issues.  I happened to be at work and asked the tech to check me out in Oct 2010 because I had a throbbing pain on my lower left groin area.  Turns out she discovered my left ovary was pulled down extremely low and was very concerned.  No other symptoms I went to the ob gyn and she was concerned that I had been with the pain for almost a year.  I told her "I am use to living with the pain because my former doctor told me with the amount of cysts that I have that I would have to live with it"!  She was horrified!  She immediately ordered a vaginal and found a solid mass on my left ovary and a major abnormality with my uterus. Had a stat CT which suspected bowel rupture, uterus 5 xs larger and gobs of fibroids. Had emergent surgery which they removed everything but my right ovary.  No cancer!  Well it is now May 2011 and I went for a f/u for servere left side groin pain only to find out I now have a 5 cm complex cyst om my right ovary. Had a CA 125 and will have surgery this coming tuesday.  Have no idea why this happened nor if it is cancer but I will let all of you know that your stories and made me feel human, alive and relieved that I am not alone. I will f/u with all of you of the outcome.
Hi again, well I didn't sleep well and decided I also needed to mention that in Oct 2010 post op I was told that I was loaded with endometriosis on my uterus.  My doctor did say since she left the right ovary that we would need to watch it closely.  Now that they have found this 5cm complex...I am honestly scared of having cancer.  Any comments?
I had my surgery yesterday and it turns out that it was the complex cyst and gobs of endo that returned.  The left side groin pain is completely gone.  I now only have the typical surgical pain and am relieved to know there is no cancer.  
Hi Ladies,
I am so thankful for this community.  Thank you for sharing your stories.  I am 31 years old, and for about 6-months I have been experiencing severe PMS symptoms the week before my period.  I just figured that my hormones had changed after having my son and breast-feeding him.  However...this month, two days before my period I became extremely bloated and could not stop burping, as well as feeling run down and achy.  A few days into my period I did feel some relief.  Then my period ended earlier than usual, and was lighter.  That's when I really started to suffer:
First was the urgency to pee frequently...
Then I was nauseas and lost my appetite...
Now I have had those symptoms with diarrhea, weight loss (5lbs), extreme pressure and pain that moves around in my lower abdomen, rectum & thighs, insomnia (because I can't get comfortable) and digestive disturbances for the last week.  The other strange symptom is "spots" on my tongue (like geographic tongue)

I am SO SCARED!  I have an appointment with my OB/GYN for an ultrasound and check-up on Tuesday, but I am going to call and push for them to see me tomorrow.  I just want to know what is going on inside of me so I can get to action.  I can't live like this.  My poor 2 1/2 year old doesn't understand and keeps asking me to play with him.  :-(  I just have to be ok...  It is great to have each other's support through all of this.  All of you take care.
Im worried my cyst is 6 cm, and at first it wasnt bothering me, but, now im sick to my stomach, and I am having menustration pains, but, I no longer have a monthly, bc of a hysterectomy, wht should I do?
At age 29, I had an ectopic pregnancy which necessitated removal of my left fallopian tube and a portion of my left ovary.  Now I'm 50 yo, not menopausal yet, and have been diagnosed with a complex multiloculated 5 cm cyst on my  left ovary.  The cyst was discovered due to abnormal bleeding, which started after my period.  The bleeding was light, but an annoyance nonetheless.  I went to my OB Gyn in hopes that he could give me something for it.  He recommended an transvaginal ultrasound if it didn't resolve within another week.  It was at that time the cyst was discovered.  I had a mammogram, colonoscopy, and blood work done, including the CA125 test.  Everything came back normal, in fact my CA125 was a 6 which is very low.  

When my OB Gyn gave me the results of the transvaginal ultrasound, I was petrified.  He recommended an open laparotomy, the same surgery that I had for my ectopic pregnancy.  I dreaded the thought of going through the open surgery again.  However, I had a cousin who died of ovarian cancer; from the side of my family that I resemble the most.  

I sought a second and third opinion from two Gynecologist Oncologists with divergent results.  One recommended watchful waiting and the other recommended surgery.  The doctor who advised against the surgery has been practicing for about 9 years, and did not do a pelvic examination after I waited three hours to see her.  The doctor who recommended the surgery has over 30 years of experience and he completed a thorough pelvic examination.  Both of them recommended the removal of my right ovary if the left ovary is cancerous.  The doctor with 9 years of experienced refused to do the surgery if I didn't agree to have both ovaries removed in case they were cancerous.  I'm aware of recent studies that stress how important ovaries are to a woman's overall health and long term survival.  Admittedly, I have questions why they would want to remove the healthy right ovary.  I was taken aback by the attitude that I did not need my ovaries anymore since I'm 50 yo.  I do not take any prescription medication currently and have reservations about being placed on estrogen therapy.  I was very moody for about a year after losing a portion of the left ovary after my ectopic pregnancy surgery when I was 29.    

My stress level is heightened and tomorrow I'm going back to my OB Gyn to schedule the surgery.  He informed me that he has a Gynecological Oncologist that he works with.  He's a great doctor that I've been going to for years, but I felt compelled to get a second and third opinion for my own peace of mind (my doting sister also) and to make an informed decision.  

Although I'm not looking forward to having surgery, I feel that it is necessary as my job is physically demanding, and I can't take much more of the uncertainty of not knowing whether or not the cyst is cancerous.  I've had several cysts before, in other places on my anatomy:  Bartholin gland, foot, underarm, sinus, which were all benign.  

Fortunately I have good insurance and health care, and am located in a large metropolitan area with excellent hospitals.  This is the first time that I've been concerned about having cancer, and it is very frightening.  Ever since the diagnosis in late May, I've been reading profusely about the different type of cysts and statistics.  My quandary is that I fall into the age group +50, considered menopausal, but have not yet reached menopause, complicating matters.    
I am 51 and normally i don't go and see doctors!!  My cycle was very regular and in July started on 2nd end on 8th and again started on 15th, though it was not heavy it was little inconvenience and went to obgyn.  he did the ultrasound and said i have one 2.65cm and another one 1.5 cm and a fibroid; and asked me to wait and see -- through out my life i had backpain mostly upper and recently lower back but not too bad -- don't know whether to worry or not!!
Hi have had bad stomach pain for about 2 years just put it down to old age (i am 54) Had an early hysterectomy due to fibrioids this was done vaginaly leaving my ovaries and falopian tubes, 4 months ago had very severe pain on leftt side, GP thought it was kidney stone and was referred to hospital that day and was admitted.Scan revealed 3cm *3cm cyst on my right ovary no kidney stone but severe constipation.was given "Agent picolax" which did nothing and had a rigid sig nothing was noted then had 2 "Agent picolax"(type this into your browser if you really want a giggle)and a barium enema , gosh i am so lucky lol this revealed diverticula disease. Going to see gyn later for scans to see if the cyst has grown but wondering now if bowel problems and cysts go hand in hand and also worried about being older as it seems that post menopausal women have a greater risk of CA. will let you know if the cysts have grown or gone later today .
Hello! I am 50 years old. In August I went in for my regular yearly check-up with my gyn. I hadn't gone to see her in 2 years. I had been having low pelvic pain and pressure. She ordered a transvaginal ultrasound. I have 2 cysts on R ovary. One is 5 cm, one is 3.5 cm. She did not tell me what type of cysts they are. 8 years ago I had a partial hysterectomy. My gyn wanted me to "wait and see" and have another US in 10 weeks. Since I've been been having extreme pelvic pressure, bloating, some pelvic pain, burning, I decided not to wait. I have an appt with a gyn-onc. next week for a 2nd opinion. I am very nervous and scared that it could be pre-cancerous....ovarian cancer,  especially after reading and researching like crazy all that I can about it. Are cysts considered tumors?  No history in my family. Had hysterectomy due to severe, very large, and many fibroid tumors, had extreme bleeding, pain, and cramping... could it be a fibroid tumor on my ovary? I am prepared for doc to say that the R ovary needs to come out,  but like in Joanie 12's post above... I also had recently read how important to a woman's overall health, heart health, sexuality, etc. the ovaries are even post-menopause!! At my gyn visit they did a blood test to determine if I was in menopause. The results were that I am right in the middle of it.... So, is it possible to insist that they only take 1 ovary and leave one? Should I have both removed and not ever have to worry about ovarian cancer again? Can they remove large cysts laproscopically?
Thanks to all... it has been comforting to read everyone's posts! Wish I'd seen them sooner!l
im 16 years old and was diagnosed with a 15cm x 9cm ovarian cyst on my left ovary. im scared i might lose my ovary :( can someone tell me if im gonna lose it or not. it want twistin or annything. but im starting to feel more pain now than i did before..
hi there ladies can anyone out there help. i am 34 yrs old and mum of 3 and have been diagnosed via a scan with a complex mass on my right ovary/tube/bowel? they don't seem sure where it is exactly  lol. I have been experiencing right pelvic pain, pain down my right thigh and right side lower back sometimes its v v painful others its just like mild period cramps. in the last few weeks i have been also experiencing nausea, fatigue, bloating, and water retention. am awaiting a further scan to see if it has grown at all ( it was about 7cms) nobody is explaining any of this to me and i am confused lol are these all normal side effects to have ? and what the hell is it?
Thanks Taryn x
Hi, my name is Denise and I am 47 years old.... I had a partial Hysterectomy in 2004and my obgyn removed a large 8 pound tumor.... She left my ovaries but about 4 months ago I started having severe pelvic pain, so my Rheumatologist ordered an MRI of my pelvis... Well they spotted a lesion on my left ovary, weird because most of my pain is on the right side.... Any way, I went to my gyno who has removed the fibroid and she ordered a vaginal unltrasound which literally gave me massive pain.... She said we would meet up next Wed. but called yesterday and moved my appt. up to tomorrow (friday). Now this worries me and I am still in pain from the ultrasound. Does anyone think something is wrong because she wants to see me sooner? Please respond?  Priceangeld
Try not to worry about the appointment being moved, maybe someone else cancelled their appointment makng them able to see you sooner, maybe they got the results sooner than expected.. Who knows. Just be happy they arent keeping you waiting, waiting is far worse!
Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok.
Good way to think of it.... Thanks
Hi All,

I'm 26 and i just found out i have a 5cm cyst on my right ovary.
The doctor perscribe me to take Yaz birth control to regulate my hormones and help reduce the cyst. Right now my mind is all over the place as i dont know what will happen in the couple weeks, will the pill help or not. I'm schedule to see him again in 4 weeks. I usually get alot of pain during my menstrial and it's very heavy sometimes i just flow like a river till i have to end up napping on the toilet ( yep it's that bad). now an dthen i get this stinging pain in my abdomonal.

Do anyone have any suggestons on what i can or cannot eat/ drink ?
because it seems that red meat makes the pain more intense.

Nusca
Hi my name is Carrissa,
Ive been experiencing ovarian cysts since i was in 6th grade i am now 18 ive been hospitalized so many times i cant even begin to tell you.. no doctor will take you seriously unless they have experienced them their selves the birth control helps stimulate it to an extent they put me on jovelette it worked so much better then Yaz it took years to find a doctor that would take my problem seriously it had gone on so long that the cyst i had became 21lbs on my ovary i was put on a moniter to see my pain levels after being told i was exaggerating and ill never forget the look on my doctors face when he came in and told my mom the pain i was experiencing was pain equivalent to a woman in full blown labor they can be very painful and by draining them all it did was make them come back worse I wouldnt suggest it every person is different though.. i have recently learned im in the beginning stages of ovarian cancer and i may have to have a complete historectomy before my 19th birthday my best advice is to find a good doctor who will really understand and take you seriously so it doesnt get to the stage of where its gotten with me things to avoid are chocolate, red meat, yellow cheese, caffine and being stressed out
I am having your situation to a T, they just found a mass 10cm, on my right ovary, the pain has been on the left but not  too bad all the time, but horriable when Im on my periods, they have scheduled a CA125, test and a hysterectomy. I had an ultra sound done in July 2011, and they didnt see it (I was on my Period) but in march\april 2011 had a pap smear and Dr. felt it to be the size of a softball. How can that be? I have heard that they dont do a 125 test unless they suspect cancer, was yours cancer? For the past 4 years, I have had diariah everyday (mainly in the mornings) then a lil over a year ago, I started getting sick all the time with what seemed to be stomach bugs, I was just diagnosed with IBS, but I dont feel my signs fit with the diagnoses. Iv been reading about ovarian cancer, and Im scared...everything thats been happening to me fits....whats going on?
I am 50 years old with a 2cm complex cyst on left ovary and small cyst in uterus. I have debilitating pain when I ovulate and menstruate. Never had pain before. Its been for @ 5 months, and its low back, right and left side.Hurts to walk, I am in slow motion. Jut awful pain.
I expressed this pain with primary dr who ordered U/S and blood work. When cysts were found i was referred to a gyn. Ca 125 tests were ordered , I dont know number, just told it was normal. Gyn, yesterday, was so matter of fact, so casual, said its all normal. Fine, I hear cysts come and go and I know I am premenapausal but, seriously? The gyn could offer no literature on menapause, no lets recheck in 6 weeks, no recognition of my pain, that is every 14 days! she said I may have gastrointestinal problems and to see a gastro dr. Then, as i cried , she says do you want birth control pills? Like making me a pity offer. She never said I think these will help, this is what they do, we could revisit after a few weeks, basically shrugged me off. I am mad for several reasons, 1) over 45 minutes in her exam room, waiting alone,2) no internal, just a consult that really..she could have read over the phone, but I bet she billed it for an office visit. 3)complex cyst??? dont those grow? 3) how callous, I mean I am not a dr person, only go annually, but hey a little bed side manner goes a long way! I left crying,I called back and wanted all blood test and U/S results mailed to me. I truly start second guessing my pain. So there it ends....live with pain, 2 aliens in body...guess they will disappear?
It sounds like you need to go to another Dr., I hate it when they do that. They act like we have no idea, its our bodies, who else knows them better than we do? If you know something isnt right, get a second opinion.....or keep complaining, sooner or later, they will realize you aint going to just go away!! Best of luck to ya! Dont give up!!
i just found out i have a 2 cm cyst on my left ovary, just curious if anyone out there has had sever back pain and mid to lower stomach pain as well! i go to the gyno next monday to see what the plan is , they did a vag us in october and said they seen a very small cyst , but it should go away with my period, well i ended up in the ER friday night and now its 2cm !!!!!!! very very painful, i also have been having bladder infectios?????????? can cyst reall grow that fast? thanks for you help
I'm 60, and my obgyn discovered a small cyst (on my left ovary). She ordered an ultrasound and called me with the results. We continued to watch it. Ultrasounds every six months for the past 7+ years. But I didn't have any pain, didn't even know I had a cyst. Since you're having pain, I think something should be done. Either confront this one who isn't doing the job, or difficult as it can be, get another doctor, a second opinion. BTW, when I switched medical insurance, my new doctor wants to remove the cyst, ovary, and fallopian tube. And I'm not sure I want surgery. Good luck to you!
thanks i dont know what to do but i cant take this back and side pain much longer! i have another appt. on the 28th to get things figured out!
Did  your cyst grow over the 7 years? My pain is lower left back  every other month on the left side. Its bad, it certainly isnt gastrointestinal. My folllow up appt with primary is Dec. 16 where I will ask for another U/S.
Hello all!  Anarane, our story sounds similar. I am 30 and was in ER this weekend with awful abdominal pain. Thought it was gas starting Friday night. Finally went to ER Sunday am. They were convinced it was appendicitis but a CT scan showed a 5cm cyst on my left ovary. This is funny because most period and cramp pain is on my right.   They assumed it was leaking and causing all the pain. Kept me for two days on pain meds. Had followup yesterday and it is not getting smaller so he put me on more pain meds and Loestrin. Going back Monday for another follow up. He hasn't said it, but I am assuming if pain continues and size doesn't go down, he'll want to remove it. They are not doing a biopsy because my white blood cell count is fine so they are not worried about cancer.  I too am sort of on hold. Don't feel as awful but tire easily and am nauseus 24/7. Any tips or insight anyone has is appreciated. The biggest thing I notice is my mood. I am suddenly very depressed and don't want to work, anything. So emotional. Doc said this kind of thing can really screw up hormones, so hoping the loestrin will help. I am miserable!!  Good luck to all and again, any advice appreciated :)
Hi For 8 years i've been living in pain, with irregular heavy menstrual bleeding and have been treated with antibiotics, family planning etc. I started bleeding in heavily in june this year for 4 months and again was sent home from the emergency followed by a month of waiting to have an ultrasound. They found a 4cm cyst on my right ovary. Then after yet another month i got to see a gynae where i again had an ultrasound but an internal one and they found a large mass behind my uterus so i had surgery the following day. they removed the ovary and drew fluid from my ovary but couldn't touch my the mass as all my organs are stuck together so they closed me up again. I received my test cytology test and it says that my the the atypia is suspicious for malignancy. After a panel of gynae oncologists reviewed my medical history they asked the cytologist to retract his report and he said he couldn't as that's what he found. They have suggested a total hysterectomy and the removal of my ovary a tube. I am due to see the surgeon on the 28th November for further testing. If anyone can relate please let me know a i feel it's odd that i have to have everything removed if it's suspected.
Hi, I'm 50 and post menopausal--had a 5 cm complex ovarian cycst (on my right side) removed 3 days ago.  The Dr. was concerned about cancer because a complex cycst in a post menopausal woman has a much higher cancer rate than in a woman who is not menopausal.  The CA 125 test came back in average range but the dr still seemed very concerned--she said a month can make a difference.  They were able to do it laprascopically.  They did two cancer tests while I was "asleep" and thank God they were negative.  The dr was able to remove the cyst, ovary and fallopian tube laprascopically.  I already feel so much better.  The recovery time is only 2-3 weeks compared to 4-6 or 8 if it had been cancer and done with a full incision--laparotomy.  So thankful my dr decided to try it laprascopically and tested it while I was still "sleeping".  She saved me a lot of pain.  It's day three and it hurts to cough and laugh but that's okay.  I hope you all have a doctor who you truly care for and trust who has YOUR best interest in mind.  Blessings to you all
I know this post is quite old but history, including medical, repeats itself. I have the exact same story at you. So apparently female anatomy treatments haven't progressed as fast as iPods...lol. I have a 4.6 on my left ovary and is it EVER painful. Survived huge L kidney stones with NO pain relief, Methotrexate injections for uterine cancer, 2 bulging disks from being rear ended (had 2 sessions of spinal epidurals with no sedation) and surviving fibromyalgia. Sounds more like a medical resume than health history, right? Lmao

Fighting through fibro pain each day, I STILL had my *** driven to ER twice for my cyst pain! Needed 3 doses of morphine to make me comfortable. I totally freaked when they took out the IV and dismissed me! I was like "What part of I'm in alot of fudging pain and am throwing up didn't you hear?!" I honestly expected to be put under observation with a pain drip, but instead I got walking papers with a script for Naproxen. Now if morphine barely touched my pain, what kinda relief would they expect from that?! Geez.

Dag nabbit, I am the lucky percentage that feels excruciating pain with a cyst when some really lucky women feel little. It has a freaking mind of its own and it’s so irritating! Okay, was sorta used to fibromyalgia flare-ups and cried/rested through them, but going through this...is HARD! No warning of pain intensity or bleeding makes living hard.

My Dr gave me two weeks, so on Jan 18th I'll find out if body absorbed it or I get sliced open. I know its still here. Always dull achy pain, so bad my teeth clench. Sometimes I have to take 2x Percocet for pain. Or like right now, that's not enough, even with the 5mg Opana (stronger sister of morphine) for my fibro. I just took two shots of tequila to calm my BP, along with a valium. My BP has been so high since pain started. My 5yr old daughter asked if I was dying. It’s so sad.

Being disabled from fibromyalgia complications, feel guilty bailing out of get-togethers. This *****! I am 33 years old! I got my associate's at Phoenix College and had a 3.8 GPA at Arizona State University; was ONE semester from graduation!! And because of health circumstances my educational dreams are not within reach YET. I have officially requested a wheelchair from my insurance. That’s a hard fact to accept, even if I already have a handi-capable placard.  

I know no one will read this, but it feels good to get it out. I feel even guiltier spending our single income; family of four not getting necessities cause mom's medical costs are $300 a month. Oh, and the $280 I had to drop for ER visits this week. Tough.
I just turned 18 and found out that I have a "cystic mass" near my right ovaries. My doctor made an immediate MRI appointment for me to see what exactly it is. A year ago when I was 17. I had an ovarian cyst that was 3x4 cm and had broke and thats what was causing all the pain in my right lower side of my body. I had thought at that time it was appendicitis when it wasnt. Thats how excruciating it felt. Now I found out I have a 6 x 5cm cyst in the same place but this time it appears on the ultra sound to the doctors that it is not attached to my ovary. So thats whats worrying them... what is everyone opinon on this... should I be worried .. ?
so thankful to have come accross this! my trip to er found a cyst on left side, but my pain is on the right. It started with sudden seviere low back pain, and then came the low pelvic pain. my dr. appt is on 2/2/12 i will up date.
hi i was wondering what your update is? im having the veru same issues as you, im still in pain er dosent know whats wrong still, im on vicodin it's been almost a week of constant pain!!
wondering how your situation turned out? I went to ER and they found a 3cm csyt. By the way my lower back is so back it makes me cry, I have test schedualed but im still in constant pain and so scared!
I am 29 and I was having pain in my lower, left side and went to the ER 2-1-12. I had an internal and external ultrasound. I could tell by the length of time that the internal ultrasound was taking that something was going on. The doctor came in to tell me that I had a complex septated cystic mass in my left ovary measuring 8 x 7 x 6 cm that could be partially hemorrhagic and a small amount of fluid in the cul-de-sac. He asked for my Dr's name and left immediately to call them. Came back to tell me I must be seen in the next 24 hours and that my Dr was going to fit me in. I went to my GYN on 2-2-12,, she said that this type of cyst could be cancerous, but that there were other types of cysts it could be. Then she referred my to oncology surgeon and ordered an OVA1 blood test, saying that the test was 93% accurate in when looking for the possibility of cancer. I got the blood test done after I left her office and they say it will be up to 3 days for results. But no matter what I will have to have the cyst removed and checked for cancer. I have three kids, 4, 7, and 11 and I am very afraid. I am still waiting on a call from the oncologist to schedule my surgery.

I can relate to everyone's fear, pain and concerns. I wish everyone the best.
I just found out yesterday through a vaginal sonogram that I have a 3 1/2 centimeter ovarian cyst.  But I have NO pain or symptoms at all but persistently tired and I havent stopped bleeding from my normal period 3 weeks ago.  But it was only when I wipe, now its a little more on the pad, so waiting to get a GYN/OB appointment to see where to go from here.
Hope some1 can help.I recently turned 35 and have been problems since around last April maybe May.I had had the mirena for about three yrs. and made two different appts.to have it removed due to what seemed to be extremely painful digestive issues, also my mood no longer felt like me.In September I ended up going to the e.r. during my period due to extreme abdominal & lower back pain, on top of this I was experiencing heavy bleeding & passing frequent worrisome blood clots.As I said this had been going on quite some time and the clots were beginning to really freak me out, not to mention I felt like I was in labor everytime I was menstruating.Anyway while at the e.r. they performed a regular vaginal check followed by an abdominal x-ray and then the transvaginal ultrasound.What they discovered was that my mirena was gone and that I had what they called a 2cm. fluid filled sac in my uterus, which made sense if I was pregnant but I wasn't.I have since followed up with several different procedures, two more transvaginal ultrasounds, a biopsy which failed to get to the fluid and recently a saline infusion hysterography, think that's what it was called.All I've been told is they are dumbfounded & as much as they wish they could comfort me by telling me that they've seen this a million times, they can't, and they are intrigued.Well I'm scared and need to know something.The only reason it took so long for me to get this checked is my mother was battling with stage four metastasis breast cancer, she passed away late July.
I am 28 and was recently diagnosed with a 3.5cm complex cyst on my right ovary along with an enlarged ovary (about twice the size of my left). My pcp scheduled me for a urgent appt with a specialist Friday. I've been having severe pain on my right side for about a year, I chalked it up to menstrual cramps at first cause I have an iud and haven't had a period in about that long until a few months ago when the pain started getting worse and more regular. Add the pain to weight gain, bowel issues, bloating, nausea, and headaches I finally made an appt and was sent for a transvaginal ultrasound where they found the cyst. My doctor threw the word cancer into the conversation, that it couldnt be ruled out, so I'm freaking out. Not sure what to expect now. Just want the pain to go away. Anyone have any advice?
:( Oh jeez, where do I start? In July I had my yearly pap and my dr. found a cyst and said it would go away in a month or two. Came back, he said my right side was bigger than left so he said the next appt we'll do a sono if they are still there. More and more symptoms started showing up, pain on right & left side, sometimes shooting clear across area, dull ache, lower back pain to where I couldn't sit certain ways, fatigue, bloating!!, headaches, sore breats which never happen.. So I go back to the dr. tell him whats going on and he says that cysts don't make you feel bloated or have back pain?!! So he decides I have an infection because of my bloated stomach he thought it was inflamed. This has been 5 months since he noticed the cysts. Instead of doing a sono, he prescribes me antibiotics to take for a week. So I do that, go back last Monday Feb 13 and the pain hasn't eased up, pelvic pain is every day and has been for the last couple months so FINALLY AFTER 7 MONTHS my dr. does a sono. FINDS 8 CYSTS! :O 4 on my left ovary & 4 on my right.. I do know my right ones are bigger, not sure about size. So he tells me to WAIT another month and to take tyenol xtra strength and ibuprofen for pain. That night I started bleeding and this is in the middle of my cycle so I call my dr the next day and he says... WAIT until my appt bc its nothing to worry about... I feel like I should be worried because they haven't gone away in 7 months, I feel the pain everyday for multiple months now (worse at night), feel nausea almost every day, shortness of breath.. I just want these out of me and I feel like the longer we wait the more damage its doing to my ovaries and im only 21 and have no kids but want kids someday :( Is 8 cysts alot and 7 months too long of a wait? well i guess by then it'll be 8.. Good Luck to all of you and hope we get some answers soon!!
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about what everyone is goin through, it seemes to be more comman than i was aware of, I am 28 yrs old and in february this year I was experiencing excruciating pain in my right side and irregular periods I went to the doctors and was sent for a scan they found a 5cm complex cyst in my right ovary I was scheduled for operation on the 16 april 2012 (today) only to find out that when I wake up that the cyst has vanished and as I am aware that they can go away on their own but as mine was a mass and was told that it had partitions through it, and scheduled for surgery almost instantly I assumed it was not one that would just go away as I was released today I am very concerned as I had no consultation with the doctor after my surgery to explain what had happened nor any care instruction or discharge paper appon leaving the hospital and was told to schedule a appointment in 2 weeks, I requested the nurse in maternity to as the doctor/surgeon to talk to me was told she spoke to me in recovery, as I was still not fully awake or able to understand what she was saying, thought that this behavior was inappropriate and not sure what steps I should now take?
I had a large complex cyst removed off of my Right ovary 4 weeks ago. Now there is a 7cm complex cyst on my left ovary! I'm in so much pain! I have had a hysterectomy but still have my ovaries. I'm 31 years old and I've had 12 abdominal surgeries. I'm on Metformin, spironlacton and I've lost 60 lbs. None of this has helped with the large complex cyst! I don't know what else to do. I can't live on Vicodin forever. Any advice?
I have been reading the posts and see that there are so many other women that are going through the same thing that I am going through.  I am 49 and started having pain in my lower abdomen and lower back in July of 2011.  Well after several visits to the ER my gynecologist, and whoever I could find that could take me in I have been diagnosed with a complex cyct 5cm on my left ovary.  I have had two CA125 test in which have come back as normal but was told by my Gynecologic Oncologist that 20% of the time you could have ovarian cancer and your CA125 be normal.  This of course made me worry like crazy.  I have had three vaginal ultrasounds and finally have been scheduled to have sugery May 21, 2012.  It will be a robotic type surgery.  They will take the cyst to patholgy when I am still under to see if it is malignant or not.  I'm really nervous about it.  I will post after my surgery.  To all who are going through the same thing, I pray for great news and speedy recovery!
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I first had a MRI scan in October when my cyst measured 4.5cm.  I also had a CT scan done in January 2012 during one of my ER visits.  It was my visit in April after my cyst measured the 5cm that my regular gynecologist sent me to the gynecologic Oncologist.
Did not see a post on how you are doing.  I to am going through the same thing you are and was just interested.  I have surgery to remove both ovaries Monday.  I guess then they will know for sure if my cyst are malignant or not.  My cyst is located in the left ovary and measures 5cm.  Let me know how you are.

Thanks,
Lissa
I'm 22 years old.. I have been having the same problem since I was 13 years old...... My first tumor was the length of a football... It was non cancerous... But they removed it along with my left ovary... N since than I've had 3 more surgeries on my left ovary.... I just had surgery in January of this year , I had a 8cm tumor n 3 cysts  on left ovary n had to remove half of ovary cause doctor thinks I'm too young to be without ovaries... Than I found out last month in April that I have another 5cm mass on my left ovary and that he wants to keep an eye on it every month.... So next week on 31st  I go for an u/s.... But I  don't know if I could wait that long.....it hurts when I walk n even when I breathe... I get irregular periods n always bloated....
I am a 56 year old (June 12) post-menopausal woman.  I have an 8x10x11 cm cyst in my right ovary not thought to be cancerous after having two blood tests.  Surgery (laproscopic) is advised.  Left ovary is healthy but the Dr recommends removing both ovaries and uterus as a preventative measure against future cancer.  I initially agreed to the complete hysterectomy but am now wondering if I should keep the left ovary if no cancer is found.  I have received conflicting information regarding the functional value of the ovaries after menopause.  

Today I googled "function of ovaries after menopause" and I came across an article that states that removing ovaries can increase a woman's risk of osteoporosis and the resultant bone fractures and heart disease. It went on to say that keeping your ovaries is beneficial and outweighs the risks. (Of course this is referring to healthy ovaries)

I am now thinking of having the laproscopic surgery removing only what is absolutely necessary (absent cancer) and keeping everything else.  My father died of heart disease when he was 47/48 yrs old and so have other brothers of his (died of heart disease in their 40's).  I do not need to increase my chances.  I plan to talk to my doctor tomorrow about my concerns.

Just thought I would share.

How are you doing now? hope all is well with you and your family.
Iv been diagnosed with a 8cm complex cyst. So worried as report says it is large with several solid areas and ticked walled. I am only 23.

Had 3 episodes of severe left stomach pain in a year before it was finally diagnosed - but now I am having groin pain daily and bloating/upset stomach- is that normal?

Waiting for my gyno referral
My sister has been really tired for a long time.  She is 45,  she had a hysterectomy in her mid 30's and the ovaries were left.  She went through almost 1yr of tests.  They were testing her for Mono, MS,  Lupus,  auto immune decease, etc.   Finnally a neurologist stated he thought it could be several things not just one.  He ordered an MRI of her spine and they found the mass/tumor on her ovary.  Oncologist did surgery,  when done wasn't able to rule out cancer.  She now has stage 3 ovarian Cancer.  Just had fourth chemo treatment and it is working.  We have a saying,  " I am u and u are me". We are best friends and so much alike.  

I have been anemic for years.  I have heavy periods and have been told by her and many friends who are nurses that I need an ablation.  I spoke to my gyn and he agreed.  Had an ultrasound and biopsy prior to the procedure and I too have 3 complex cysts.  This was found in Feb,  repeat ultrasound 2 weeks ago and it is larger.  My gyn referred me immediately to an Oncologist.  1st appointment with him and a full hysterectomy is scheduled in 1 week.  They are removing uterus, both ovaries, tubes, cervix and fatty pad in stomach called the omentum.  
I am scared because of course my sister has cancer.  I am also grateful that both doctors wasted no time and are being very aggressive!  

Always be persistent if u don't like waiting and seeing go to another doctor.  They work for U and me.  We pay them and no one knows you better then you.  

*** I was in an accident in 2010 so I thought all my pain was related to that but, after reading all your posts now I know why my left hip has been killing me. *** I have also had crazy BM experiences.  Constipation and then not making it to the bathroom in time.  That is a nightmare.  I am 42.  Pray for me,  my surgery is 6/11.  I hate to stay in and I hate needles and pain!  

Sorry this was so long.  It is great to see I am not alone with the recent BM
Attacks.  I was beginning to think I wasnt going to be able to eat out or go out without a DEPEND diaper at age 42!
Hi iam writing on behalf of my friend she is really worried she has been told she has a complex cyst but nothing else she has just had a blood test to detect cancer and is waiting for the results, and also waiting for a appointment with a gynae, she is really worried, can anyone give me any suggestions to reassure her because she is thinking the worse, and i would like to give her as much info and support as i can.
Thank you

NIcBics
Hi I had my ultrasound a week ago and was told tht have 5cm complex cyst on left ovary advised immediate app with gyno I m bit worried have frequent stabbing pain in abdomen back pain dnt knw wat to Do
I am so glad there are forums like this for women trying to understand, cope with and recover from (post-surgery) complex ovarian cysts. I have been scheduled for surgery next month to remove a 71/2 x 7 cm demoid cyst on my left ovary. My gyno informed me that while she will attempt laprascopy, she may have to open the abdomen. I will most likely have to have the left ovary removed as well. I have had persistent pain for a year and finally received a solid diagnosis last month... quite the process. I am very nervous for the surgery. I have been told if she can remove the cyst and ovary laprascopically it will be 2-4 weeks recovery, but should I require more invasive surgery I'm looking at 6-8 weeks. I am finding the discomfort is increasing almost daily so I called my surgeon last week to inquire whether this was normal or not and was informed that if I was in excruciating pain and could not stand up straight then I should get to the ER asap, as the twisting of the ovary can be life threatening... but otherwise I just have to soldier through the next few weeks, despite discomfort and pain. I am just really interested in any information you ladies could provide in terms of post-surgery recovery... how many incisions, stitches, how painful was the recovery... what about when you woke up from surgery, what kind of pain meds do they prescribe, if any, for post-surgery recovery? I have also been diagnosed with fibermialgia, which my doc says will make the recovery that much more painful for me... any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!!!!
After irregular bleeding, i had a v/us and showed a complex ovarian cyst.had ca125 level taken.am worried sick.any advice?
im waiting for results of C  A125 test.sick of being sick and tired i have complex cyst on right ovary and somethingy in uterus or on uterus ive six children and im 47 usualy fit and healthy..felt like crap for over a yr radical weight loss nausea lower back ache pain in groin and major tired very hard to function ..
i am 20 i have a 2.5cm cystic i gust find out today, have no kind of pain but i am worried what kind of cystic it is.
That is rather small and may go away.  I had a 5cm one and in 4 weeks it was down to 2 cm.  If you don't have pain, it could be a normal cyst that forms when you ovulate.  I wouldn't worry too much about what you have.
Hi. Im 22  and I have had a bad pain in my right pelvic area and lower back constantly since January. I mentioned it to my gyno when I went for my pap in feb but he acted like it was nothing. I had to go back 6 months later for another pap since the first one was abnormal and told him again making sure he listened this time. he did a pelvic exam and said he felt a "lump". I had an ultrasound done and was told I had a ruptured cyst but no other cysts were present. It is now almost 4 months later and the pain is getting worse. I've called his office but I have had no help or any word from him. Also I have had only 3 periods since last December. I've always had missed periods but never more than one or two missed in a year. Please tell me is this normal?
im 19 years old and just yesterday i found out i have a 5cm ruptured cyst ive been on morphine and vicodin the past 24 hours and it still hasnt done anything . im really scared i dont know what to do. every movement involving my abdomen makes it hurt a lot. the doctors said medication was all i needed but i fear its not. please im scared.
Hello!
I'm 21 years old. Last week, I woke up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain in my lower abdomen on the right hand side. I thought I was dying, so I went to the ER. Turned out I had a 4x3x3 cyst on my left ovary. I know what you're thinking.. why the pain on the right side right? Well the doctor told me that the weight of the cyst had brought my ovary out of place and slightly to the right hand side. So they sent me home with pain killers and told me to come back if it got worse.

Two days later, I felt extremely tired, feverish and sore. So I returned to the ER. They did a pelvic exam and another ultrasound. Turns out that my cyst had grown up to 7 cm which was the reason I was feeling pain. So once again, they send me home with morphine and say come back if it gets worse.

The next day, I faint at work. So i'm rushed to the ER to find out that my red blood cells were low and that my ultrasound showed blood in my abdomen, which was a result from the cyst bleeding. So the doctor referred me to the gyno and said that she would call me within the week.

Well it's been a week, so I decided to call. Turns out the gyno is on vacation until January. What i'm worried about is the growth of the cyst, and my extremely distended abdomen. I look about 5 months pregnant. The pain isn't any better and I have to wait over a month to even get a consult with the gyno. I've been to the emerg 4 times last week and they just send me home with painkillers.

I do realize that it is not urgent, but you would think that if it grows that fast and has bled out that they would do something sooner. I'm in a lot of pain and i'm tired, I'm petrified to wait a month.

Does any one have any suggestions?
Hi, I'm 28 years old. Only yesterday I was advised of a 4cm cyst on my left ovary. I had an ultrasound done in June and it showed they were normal. I have been prescribed with panadeine forte to tackle on the pain. However, I did see another Gyno who has told me to go on the pill for 6 weeks to see if this might help. He didn't say whether it is a complex cyst or not. I've got an appointment in Early Feb. the pain and discomfort is still there even while I take the painkillers. I'm a little worried as the lady who did the ultrasound was speechless after she noticed the cyst and the specialist doesn't seem too worried or phased by it all. Not sure if I should get another opinion as he is my 3rd opinion this year.
I would call a different gyn that can get you in sooner.
Just so you know, ultrasound techs aren't allowed to say anything no matter what they see. They aren't doctors and can't diagnose you.  Cysts are normal, almost all women form them and don't even know it.  I have a 5.1 cm complex cyst on my left ovary and was prescribed Vicodin and it didn't help the pain either.  I am having mine removed laparascopically this Thursday.
I have multiple encouraging cysts in both ovaries. Both ovaries have costs larger that they are. The bigger ones are like 4.3 and 4.8.   I have severe pain un the pelvic region.  In nauseated  constipated , pee all of the time,  pressure in rectum and peri area, painful sex, emotional, dizzy spells, etc. Er Dr looked serious and said make  ob appointment fast.  I did but still have to.wait three weeks. Um TWENTY SEVEN and its been goiing on for 7 months and getting much worse and daily
Do you have to wait 3 wks to see ob/gyn? If so, I would suggest trying to see someone else with the discomfort you're describing. Even a family physician who may have you get an ultrasound sooner to check status of cysts. Best wishes to you!!!!
Do they have to remove your ovary too?
Hi everyone I have been reading your stories and just wanted to post my experiences! I'm 39 year old women and I have always suffered from ovarian cysts have had so many operations, now had both my tubes removed and was told that all my right ovary had gone and half of my left, but I had an ultrasound scan today as my stomach is extremely swollen and pains in left side when she started the scan she took lots of images and then said she could not see my ovary's or my womb so would need to do an internal scan! she did this and it was extremely painful, she said that she could see what looked liked part of the right ovary as well as part of left which is odd as I was told it had completely gone! she also said that around the left ovary was like a tissue mass buildup that looks benign when she pressed onto that ovary I nearly shot through the roof it was so painful, She said that results will go to doctor but she didn't think my bloating was related to what was on left ovary! She said the doctor should refer me to a specialist so now have to wait for him to get results and then refer me, I can't go on like this its so painful and even more so after that scan and oddly I am now getting pain in my right side after the scan which i wasn't getting before! can anyone relate to my problems am I worrying about nothing?   Also I don't know if this is relevant but i am on the continual pill as periods where so bad so now don't have them but a couple of weeks ago i had a really bad clotted period for 9 days. thank you for reading any advise greatly appreciated  
Im 24 with a 8cm ovarian cyst on my righ ovary waiting on doc to call me to see what the step is...causing extreme back pain and and abdomen pain....i have to go pee like every hr kuz of it. My question is from your guys knowledge will they remove my whole ovary due to the size of it?
Hi, Im so grateful that i found this sight. I just found out a couple days ago that i have a cyst on my ovary that's 5cm. Are they going to do surgery when i go to the gynecologist. How do i stop the pressure and pain. I'm 22; not sure if that helps.
Hello I see I am not the only one that is frustrated with the pain of complex ovarian cysts. I have been in constant pain and pressure in my pelvic vaginal area for the past 9 months. My doctor kept putting it down to menopause and put me on hormone replacement tablets and still suffer with pain. I had a colonoscopy recently it they picked up inflammation in the bowel and my doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist thinking I may have colitis or crohns disease. The specialist didnt think my symptoms fitted the criteria for those bowel diseases and suggested it more gyneological and sent me off for a pelvic CT Scan. The radiologist sent a copy of the results to my doctor as well as the specialist which stated I had bilateral complex ovarian cysts the right measuring 5.7 x 4.2 cm and left 3.9 x 3.4 cm. The specialist office called and I will be seeing him next week and my doctor called me through the week and have seen her today. My doctor thinks the cysts are nothing it is normal and the pain I have is back related. Would really appreciate other peoples views on this as I am at my wits end and just feel like getting a knife and cutting out this pain.
Forgot to mention I am 52 years old and went through early menopause aged 42.
Hi Susie,
I am 62 and have a very painful 5.6 X 4.5 X4.6 large simple appearing cyst on Right Ovary that is causing serious pain down my right leg an in my side/hip.  Nothing looks bad in Xray, good blood flow and no sepation, but it is painful as hell. I also have a small mid body fibroid measuring 26X18mm and a left ovarian cyst only 19X22 mm. The cancer test was negative, so aside from horrible pain that nearly send me to the hospital several times/I am already through menopause nothing is being done. Doctors do not seem to understand the terrible pain. When I have a bowel movement it helps, but I do feel pressure to urinate a lot.
Hi!  It has been many years now since I had my surgery.  As it turned out I got a second opinion and surgery right away.  It was a mess the surgeon said and she felt my pain.  It took 2 months to heal.  I have been pain free since.  My opinion, find a doctor who hears you.  Good luck and in my thoughts.  :)
I just read your post. I found the same results and was wondering if you would share your results?  I hope you are doing well.